First/Business Class - Best way to get best fare

lovevacadays

I recently flew first class for the first time. I didn't pay for it - my employer did. However, now having done it I really want to again for my vacations this year.

Does anyone have any tips on getting the best fares for first/business class?

Also, I haven't flown alot previously so don't have any type of frequent flyer miles, etc. However, I would like to start in a program like that as I plan to fly more often now. Any suggestions concerning loyalty programs?

LOL..... It just takes one time up front to get hooked doesn't it:D

I would suggest what others here suggested to me. Visit Flyertalk web site and start learning the ends and out of different fare codes and programs. Nobody here can give you specific travel agencies info but you can learn about consolidated tickets and Z-C-F fares and such. The link is:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum and click airline programs

Good luck,

John

I would suggest determining where you normally fly and with what carrier. If you can do that, that will be the carrier you will want to sign up with for frequent flyer miles. In our particular case, we fly Delta and USAir, so we belong to both of those frequent flyer programs. It costs you nothing to sign up. Also look at different credit cards that have a travel or miles benefit. This will help you accrue more miles, even if you aren't flying. Many of the FF programs also have "bonus" miles available for shopping at different merchants. Pay attention to these "deals" as they can help increase your miles.

Once you GET the miles, using them can take some diligence and flexibility on your part. Usually (but not always), the farther in advance you can plan to use the miles the more likely you'll have success. We're using miles to upgrade to first/business on our trip to the UK next year. As soon as the flights became available, I looked into securing our spots. There is always a limit to how many seats are available so if you find availability, don't hesitate ... book it!

We prefer it "up front" as well, but don't fly all that often. We try to do our short trips in economy to build up the miles and save the first class experiences for long hauls. Also be aware that some airlines will offer a "buy up" at check in IF you're on the right fare code and seats are available. This has worked for us on occasion (primarily on Air Tran and sometimes on USAir). Still cheaper than paying for first, but you need to be prepared and willing to give up a bit of cash for the comfort. Hope this is helpful.

I recently flew first class for the first time. I didn't pay for it - my employer did. However, now having done it I really want to again for my vacations this year.

Does anyone have any tips on getting the best fares for first/business class?

Also, I haven't flown alot previously so don't have any type of frequent flyer miles, etc. However, I would like to start in a program like that as I plan to fly more often now. Any suggestions concerning loyalty programs?

Obviously it depends on where you travel, from where, how often, and your choice of carriers. Flyertalk.com is indeed a go-to source, especially the "Good Deal Premium Fares" thread in the Mileage Run Deals forum, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals/521443-good-deal-premium-fares.html

You might also start here: http://www.farecompare.com/ - and look for so-called Y-UP (more often K,B,H, or some other -UP) fares using this tool: http://www.farecompare.com/search/yupfares.html

These fares carry economy class designations (Y & B = full fare economy, the others = a somewhat discounted economy fare) but in airline parlance the "up" designation seats you in first class on two-class flights (usually just on domestic routes) or sometimes in business class if the airline doesn't offer true first class on your route, or at all. They were invented so that business travelers whose employers required coach travel could buy a "coach" ticket that allows FC travel - a bit of a scam, maybe, but a successful one.

Using Farecompare's Y-UP tool and setting SNA (which I presume is your default airport) as an origin point, you can see e.g. first class round trips to Savannah on American for $900, or Baltimore on Continental for $840, etc. Might not be where you want to go, but it provides a good first cut. Play with it - it's pretty powerful.

May I ask what you mean by you plan to fly more often now?

Even with flying about 8 times a year round trip that doesnt get me a frequent flyer menu=

We even got the credit cards for the airlines but wow are the charges horrendous and really dont get much- like for a usair- i would need 250,000 points for a discount on a first class seat.

Gone are the days where you can wait til the 24 hours and buy them up (airtran did that-- and got us really spoiled)

there are only like 4, 6 or 8 seats available on any given flight for first class

I agree about USAir ... I'm afraid our points aren't worth much of anything as I haven't found a way (yet) to use them. So far we've had our best luck with Delta ... and as you pointed out, the "buy ups" with Air Tran (although that has been awhile since we last did that).

• 2 weeks later...
I agree about USAir ... I'm afraid our points aren't worth much of anything as I haven't found a way (yet) to use them. So far we've had our best luck with Delta ... and as you pointed out, the "buy ups" with Air Tran (although that has been awhile since we last did that).

I have never had a problem with Delta

I am having problems with my BA miles as I am trying to use them with their partner

American

Another airline I have had no luck with is Frontier

Archived