Noro virus and cleaning the ship

starboard59

Hi,

I've read a few posts here on CC about the Noro virus and infections on Gems last few cruises. Mine vaca is coming up in the next two weeks and just curious how the ship is cleaned for the next scheduled cruise. Do they have days or just hours before they set sail again?

I'm going regardless, plan on having a great time, and will deal with it if I become unlucky....

Thanks

Hi,

I've read a few posts here on CC about the Noro virus and infections on Gems last few cruises. Mine vaca is coming up in the next two weeks and just curious how the ship is cleaned for the next scheduled cruise. Do they have days or just hours before they set sail again?

I'm going regardless, plan on having a great time, and will deal with it if I become unlucky....

Thanks

We were on the GEM last week and the cleaning is continuous throughout the cruise. They only have a couple hours between cruises for the public areas....and about 4 hours for the cabins. They don't allow you in the cabins as soon as you board, it was 2PM on the 19th before the cabins were ready....last Feb is was 1 PM when the cabins were ready.

Be cautious, and use the hand sanitizers.......as well as good hand washing. I always try to avoid touching the railings when using the stairs since these are highly touchable areas by everyone.....just watch during the muster drill (when you can't use the elevators) everyone on the ship seems to touch those railings. :eek:

Don't worry about it. While some did get sick, it happens on every cruise.

The several threads about the Gem Christmas voyage were all from brand new CC members, rants about the same inaccurate things (that the ship and NCL is hiding things and that previous sailings were all affected, both of which are false). Members here have pretty much concluded we have one single troll under several alias'.

DH was infected with the GI on Norwegian Spirit's 16-day reposition in October. He was treated immediately in our cabin and was confined to the cabin for 24 hours. It was his call to stay in the cabin a few more days to rest up and make sure all was well.

Our cabin steward did a remarkable job of disinfecting every day (be aware that if you get GI, your cabin is cleaned last), spraying a disinfectant wherever he had walked as he left the cabin so he would not spread it anywhere else. Our bedding was bagged separately, as were our towels, and everything was disinfected each day.

I saw walls, railings, elevators, everything being constantly wiped down with disinfectant 24/7.

NCL did a great job of keeping as few people from getting ill as possible.

When you have that many people in a confined space it's going to happen. This was our eleventh sail with NCL in 3 years and the first time we've ever been part of an outbreak. Just the way it is...and who knows who brought it aboard.

I applaud NCL for their quick action and for all the care and concern they had for us.

Dee ;)

Archived