Snorkel Vest?

Dancin Doctor

Hope this hasn't been asked and answered before...

Anyone know what locations require snorkel vests? I'm a good swimmer and I don't really want to buy a vest I won't need, but also don't want to be required to put my mouth on the tube to inflate a vest many others have! :eek: Already got a basic snorkel set with travel fins to take.

Our stops where we intend to snorkel are Grand Cayman, Roatan and the Princess Cays, if that helps.

Thanks!

Hope this hasn't been asked and answered before...

Anyone know what locations require snorkel vests? I'm a good swimmer and I don't really want to buy a vest I won't need, but also don't want to be required to put my mouth on the tube to inflate a vest many others have! :eek: Already got a basic snorkel set with travel fins to take.

Our stops where we intend to snorkel are Grand Cayman, Roatan and the Princess Cays, if that helps.

Thanks!

I can't tell you which locations require a vest but I can tell you that I always wear one.I consider my water skills to be decent too (DM, Rescue diver, etc) but I am worried about the other person in a full panic who may grab on to me.The lift of that vest sure may come in handy in an emergency.I usually just snorkel around with mine deflated but it is nice to know it is there if I should need it.My vest has a crotch strap and a CO-2 cartridge for emergency inflation--think I paid around $40.00 each for ours.

if you book your excursion from the ship you most likely will have to use the vest.. even at the private islands . its a pain to wear them but u have too

but if you do the trip by yourself and just go to any beach. no u wont have too.

I can't tell you which locations require a vest but I can tell you that I always wear one.I consider my water skills to be decent too (DM, Rescue diver, etc) but I am worried about the other person in a full panic who may grab on to me.The lift of that vest sure may come in handy in an emergency.I usually just snorkel around with mine deflated but it is nice to know it is there if I should need it.My vest has a crotch strap and a CO-2 cartridge for emergency inflation--think I paid around $40.00 each for ours.

Ditto, we feel the same way, always wear one deflated or partial but feel safer with it in case something happens. You can order a decent one online.

• 3 weeks later...

Wear the vest. If you don't want to share germs, get your own. It may save your life. That will be worth every penny.

I am an strong swimmer and recently in Belize got caught in current swimming back the the boat. I inflated the vest for the first time in my 30 yrs of snorkling.

SAFETY FIRST.....

• 2 weeks later...

This has been required on all ship's excursions we've taken. Most private ones require them too but this varies a little. However, all of them require you to wear a vest but don't care if it is deflated or not. I like to dive down 10 or 15 feet to get a closer look at the reefs which is not practical with a vest - so if I do wear one I just use it uninflated. Since it isn't inflated I don't have to worry about putting my mouth on the valve.

Of course if an emergency happens and I get carried off by an unexpected current I could inflate it and wouldn't worry as much about the potential germs.

Ditto

I am an old snorkeler and in 30 years I have only used it once in St. Kitt on an "easy" shore trip. The tide changed, the wind changed and my luck changed.

You know how you become an old snorkeler? :rolleyes: Just put your lips together and blow!

We have only snorkeled with a cruise sponsored tour and they were mandatory in the Caribbean--but not in Hawaii.

I agree if you are going on your own, off the beach probably not required. May not be required if you go on a self-arranged tour.

I am not a strong swimmer, so I love the security the vest gives me. Plus--I usually just float on the top of the water and look at everything.

Archived