How is the snorkeling at the Baths (Virgin Gorda)?

fbe2228

We're planning to check out The Baths while in Tortola next week. I'm debating if it's worth it to haul all our snorkeling gear to The Baths. How is the snorkeling at The Baths? Thanks in advance.

The Baths are the best snorkeling we have ever done.Swim outside of the rocks in to deeper water.Lots of fish around the rocks.Wear a vest for safety since the depths are about 15-20 feet.

We were recently in Tortola and went to the baths in Virgin Gorda

Definitely bring your snorkel gear.

When you get to the end of the trail down by the water, head to the beach on the left.

When you get the beach on the left, facing the water, snorkel out to the large rock on the left that is furthest away and about 50 feet out from the beach. Snorkel all around the rock.

There is some nice coral about 15-20 feet down and lots of fish.

Here are some pictures I took.

TortolaSnorkel4-2.jpg

TortolaSnorkel3-2.jpg

TortolaSnorkel2-4.jpg

TortolaSnorkel1-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to the baths twice and I'd go again. the caves are awesome!!!! the snorkling is good - definitely worth the trip...

here is a little secret - just don't share it with everybody....

all the groups tell you to take the steps down to the water and everyone goes that way. We took the path (opposite the steps) down to the water and by-passed all the people. We got down to the water fast and were able to enjoy the beach, snorkling and the caves without a ton of people around. We just did the "normal" trip in reverse. Both times we went we chatted with others after the tour and they all said they were in a line of about 200 people going down the steps and it took a good portion of the time allowed at the baths. When taking the path, stay right at the fork to get down to the snorkling area, or left to go to a remote little beach area. Either way just remember to leave plenty of time to make it through the caves and up the steps back to the top - you'll want to spend some time in the caves as they are really cool! Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

With Patouche, you will take a really nice boat ride out (with a very small group) and you will anchor in the water and snorkel your way all around the baths. You will be going the opposite route as the crowd. They anchor very close to shore and it's just a short swim around the caves. The caves were really cool, and the rock formation was out of this world, but I enjoyed the snorkeling over everything. The boulders that are under the water, and the fish that are swimming all around the boulders are all breath taking. I almost missed this excursion because I was up late the night before and I am sooo glad that I made it there. It was the highlight of my trip and I can say one of the most memorable out of all my vacations.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived