How strenuous is the biobay kayak excursion?

starboard59

Hi,

I have booked the bio bay kayak excursion thru NCL for myself and three adult 20 yo something children. Momma however is 50, not totally out of shape but I wont be completing a triathalon anytime soon either. I know its subjective but any feedback would be great. Its my first port and would like to experience the four others afterwards in comfort.:)

Hi,

I have booked the bio bay kayak excursion thru NCL for myself and three adult 20 yo something children. Momma however is 50, not totally out of shape but I wont be completing a triathalon anytime soon either. I know its subjective but any feedback would be great. Its my first port and would like to experience the four others afterwards in comfort.:)

You should not have a problem. The Kayaks are reasonably stable and the channel you navigate is really not deeper than 4 - 5 feet in most places anyway. There are two people per kayak and they are not hard to paddle IMHO. A couple of folks in our group indictated their arms were a bit sore however my wife and I had no problems whatsoever.

thanks stones, I'll be bringing the mineral ice! Was the trip interesting/fun in your opinion?

Yes it was. To be honest, my wife was more interested that I in doing the tour but after going I have to say that it was very enjoyable. The mangrove swap that you kayak through is very narrow and because there is no light you need to closely follow the kayak (with a glow stick) just ahead of you. There were guides in the front and back of the pack to tell you where to go to follow the correct path through the swamp.

The paddle out took about 45 minutes until you ended up in a large lake. It was very interesting to see the glowing effect as you paddled in the lake. The trip back was faster as the tide was with us.

I would definitely do it again given the opportunity.

I did the bioluminescence bay with 14 50-something women friends and most of us did just fine. Not a triathlete in the bunch. There were 2 skinny young guys that got added to complete our tour (we had such fun with them!) and they actually had more trouble than we did! So I think with able bodied 20 somenthings along, you'll be fine.

Took my early 70's parents on this tour and they loved it. We've done it 3 times and it really is VERY cool. It is kind of long drive (about an hour) so take some snacks and some bottled water or something. On our tour they stopped at a CVS/Mcdonalds for a bathroom break. The bathrooms at the location are "rustic".

Cheers!

Brad

One last thing....it is a long ride as a previous poster mentioned so you should bring a change of clothes as you will get wet in the kayak. The bathroom facilities are not good so I would advise bringing a large towel for a quick "beach change" in the parking lot. Beats riding home in wet clothes!

Were there a lot of mosquitoes or bugs on this trip? I am interested in doing this but my wife is terrified of bugs :rolleyes: Thanks.

The night we did the tour there were not but everyone was advised to apply repellant anyway. This is a mangrove swamp after all. For what it is worth, nobody in our group of approximately 25 complained of any bites at all.

• 4 weeks later...
The night we did the tour there were not but everyone was advised to apply repellant anyway. This is a mangrove swamp after all. For what it is worth, nobody in our group of approximately 25 complained of any bites at all.

What time of year did you go on this trip? I hate bugs, but my husband wants to do this one.

Rita

Archived