Grandeur/New Orleans questions

We will be leaving in 2 weeks, sailing on the Grandeur of the seas. I have a few questions if anyone could answer that would be appreciated. What time are we able to board the ship? What is the best way to get from the airport to our hotel? Do they have a shuttle that goes to all the hotels? We are staying at the Sleep Inn in the business district.

Can we leave now??? LOL We are both tired of the snow and below zero temps, looking forward to this trip!

We have sailed the Grandeur three times out of N'awlins. We arrived at the pier about 1100 hrs and were able to begin check-in and then board. The staterooms are usually not ready this early; but we were allowed to drop our carry-ons in the closets. Since we had about five or so hours to kill, we made a pass through the dining room to check out our table assignment, ate lunch in the Windjammer, then disembarked and walked around the French Quarter for a while.

Check the New Orleans Airport site for shuttle service into town. It is a fair distance from the airport into town; thus, cab fare may be fairly expensive. I would imagine that there is a shuttle service that drops off at most hotels for a cheaper price.

Hope this helps! Have a great cruise. The ship is beautiful!

Captain Ronn

masdolphin: We cruised out of NO 3/03, however we were on the Conquest, so can't help with boarding time, etc.

As for the airport shuttle service, we used the service on the NO airport site for transportation to our hotel. It was by far the cheapest (5 people and luggage) and there is a kiosk very near the baggage claim area. There was no need to book in advance, just pick your luggage up and head to the kiosk. Very efficient service.

A word of caution, do not trust them to pick you up at the dock after your cruise! We had reservations and they never showed up! :mad: They also did not answer their phones or return messages left on their machine. Would use them from the airport again (very nice limo and no waiting for other dropoff, etc), but get a reservation from a van service (our concierge was able to provide a service from the hotel to the port and we used him again from the port to the airport). It worked out, but it was a hassle at the time because of the broken reservation.

Bruce

The kiosk at baggage claim only sells round trip tickets. At least that is what they told me. She didn't seem to interested in helping me. I would call the hotel and see if they have shuttle service or ask how much a taxi cost. I would think it is about a 20 min. ride. We caught a taxi from the pier to the airport and it was $10 per person. There were plenty there waiting so need to worry about that.

Don't know if this will help with your planning, But: We have an upcoming repo cruise that arrives in NO, then we have to get to the airport, so it's just a one way.

After checking out some other transportation options, I did a car rental with Hertz. They have a Convention Center location that will pick you up at the dock, then we'll return the car the next day at the airport - $30 rental. This will allow us an evening in the French Quarter, then we'll stay at an inexpensive hotel on the way to the airport.

You can get the info you need at:

http://www.flymsy.com

Click on "Ground Transportation" on the left side. Cabs are quicker: they will take you directly to your hotel The shuttle waits until it fills, and may make several stops on the way to your hotel.

Cabs charge a flat rate of $7 per person from the downtown hotels to the cruise terminal.

A caution: there is construction going on at the cruise terminal, and that is causing a lot of congestion. You might be better off waiting until around noon to go to the terminal. All of the debarking passengers will be gone by then.

Thank you for all the information, you guys are great! We will be getting transportation from the ship to the airport from RCCL but just need to get from the airport to our hotel without paying way too much for a cab. To make it easier we will be getting a cab from our hotel to the ship this time. Thank you all again, I appreciate the help.

Your pictures that you posted were great!! We are leaving on that same cruise this saturday the 22nd.

How did you like to swim with the dolphins? Was it worth the money?

The ship looked in great shape. How warm was the weather? Since right now it is about 10 above I think anything will feel warm.

Thanks again for posting those pictures.

Laurie - St.Louis

We will be going on the Grandeaur on Feb. 19. We are staying near the airport because we couldn't find any reasonable hotel rates near the port. Thinking there may be a big convention that weekend I went to the New Orleans Convention Bureau and wouldn't you know it there will be 15,000 doctors there for a convention Feb. 17-20th.

cruiserlkb - Glad you enjoyed my pictures. I absolutely think that the dolphin swim was worth the money. It was something I always wanted to do and decided to treat myself to it for my birthday. Then again the whole cruise was a present to myself. :D The weather was great. Temps were about 80-85. Last sea day was chilly and drizzling so no one was out by the pool and no pool games.

Enjoy!!

Dawn

As much as I don't want to answer this for fear of being shot, I didn't see any difference in how people were dressed on carnival or on the legend of the seas or rhapsody of the seas....

Formal night - Shirt tie coat or tux (Sorry all but the coat comes off after 5 mins due to being way to hot) Ladies, Nice Dress

Casual - Polo, Dress shirt, nice pants. Ladies Dress or pants, nice shirt.

I wore a dress or skirt and top for all the other nights. I don't often get to wear dresses so I like to when I'm on vacation. There were other woman dressed in nice pants. The dresses I brought for formal night were gowns but I've also worn cocktail dresses. On formal nights men usually wear a suit or tux. On the other nights I've seen jacket and pants or just pants and polo shirt.

I got to the ship around 1:00 and had no trouble getting on the ship. When I was getting off at 9:00 am there were people lined up ready to get to board. Not sure what time they start the embarkation process.

Also have noticed that there are few posters for Jan. 22nd. Guess everybody is packing and/or traveling to NO by now. The board has been very helpful for this first timer. Looking forward to smooth sailling! :)

Txcruisers04 - On Caribbean night, they all come out and dance. Then they play the Macarena so everyone can dance. On Italian night and the last night they sing.

rbpjr - I didn't use the airport shuttle but I know there are plenty of taxis around. Cost us $12 per person from the pier to the airport. I stayed the night before so I used the hotels transportation.

cruiserlkb - Glad you enjoyed my pictures. I absolutely think that the dolphin swim was worth the money. It was something I always wanted to do

Can you tell us more about the Dolphin Swim? I'm looking forward to doing this on my Feb 12th cruise. What can you tell us about Costa Maya? I have been to Grand Caymen and Cozumel but that is a new one for me. Thanks. Sandy

Archived