Cozumel Diving

emccully

Erik,

Take a cab to Caakanab Park. You can dive right off the shore. I think they have tanks you can rent right there. It's close to the pier, maybe a $10 cab ride. We rented a scooter. The snorkeling and diving there is fabulous. The best we've ever done. Run a search on it. A lot of people will tell you the same thing. :D

Please Please do not rent a scooter! they're terribly dangerous and cars don't respect you. If you choose to dive in chankanaab please rent a car or take a taxi.

I definitely agree with Laura, skip the scooter and go with the taxi. It is much more convenient, safer and less expensive than renting 2 scooters or a car.

Is it necessary to make a reservation with an Operator prior to arrival? Aren't there dozens of vendors waiting at the pier willing to take you on a two tank dive? Erik

I would not wait until I got to Cozumel to select a dive operator, but then I know who I want to dive with. Even though there are close to 60 dive operators in Cozumel, I do not believe that there are "dozens" of dive operators waiting at the pier. Do you really want to spend the time looking for them in any case? Wouldn't you rather know that you do have a dive already lined up before you got off the ship?

Is it necessary to make a reservation with an Operator prior to arrival? Aren't there dozens of vendors waiting at the pier willing to take you on a two tank dive? Erik

On one of our trips the seas were rough and the "reputable" dive operators had to cancel all their trips. The national park where the diving is done was even closed. However, there were still vendors at the pier willing to take us on a two tank dive.

We passed. I don't think they cared much about our safety, more in the dollar.

When I dive I like to know who I am diving with. My wife only has a few rules and one is that I bring my son back from diving.

In Nov '04 I was on EOS for 7 days and booked a dive on board through the dive shop. The pnny pinchers charged for a wet suit whereas others who I dove with had it thrown in.

While you're guaranteed an afternoon dive, you're also guaranteed to be back in time for boarding prior to sailing. Remember the most beautiful sit is watching your cruiseship sail away as you're standing on the pier.

I recommend Sand Dollar Sports. If you want to get a hold of them prior to arrival, call(in the US) 1-888-737-6399 / outside the US,(281) 361-3906 / in Cozumel 872-0793. Their website is:

www.sanddollarsports.com

They have a small office at the Puerta Maya pier, located about three miles south of downtown and dive out of a resort to Palancar, Santa Rosa and Paseo del Cedral reefs. Diving "The Wall" is an experience to remember swimming with Blue Tangs, Yellow Angels and curious barracuda, all with over 200 feet visibility.

Depending on the size of the group and experience level, the divemaster will take you through small caves and go anywhere from 50-110 feet on the reef, ledge and/or over and down the wall.

They recommend that;

a. if you haven't dived for more than a year, you take a refresher dive;

b. don't dive beyond your training;

c. do the deeper dive first and don't forget;

d. drink lots of water (which they provide).

You can check your gear out in the training pool prior to diving to check servicibility.

Safe & enjoyable diving.

Ciao for now!!!

• 10 months later...

I have booked the new waves beginers scuba from our ship(GRAND PRINCESS). Does anyone have any advice? Also, we have one person in our group that will not dive, should she book this too? Or can she just go with us? Love some info from experienced people.

Dive with Martin is off the International pier, and Aqua is off Lancoste Pier, contact prior to sailing to insure your spot, Dive with Martin is $52-60 GEAR INCLUDED!!!:)

Dove with them just before Wilma hit( the day before!!) and they were fabulous!!

Aqua ( PADI AND NAUI)is highjly reccomended both can be googled and will be more than happy to take you...

:eek: oh BTW a good dive shop keeps you breathing underwater, while a fly by night may not...if that is important to you!!!

I have booked the new waves beginers scuba from our ship(GRAND PRINCESS). Does anyone have any advice? Also, we have one person in our group that will not dive, should she book this too? Or can she just go with us? Love some info from experienced people.

NON_ DIVERS are generally ok with most dive operators, but some may charge you extra:mad: ...but if they are not diving, don't pay the $190 they charge, the Dive master would be the one to ask onboard ship. i send my non diving spouse into another tour with folks we meet on the ship...she has a much better time than watching the top of the water and bouncing around in a dinghy....

My number one advice is to keep breathing!!!Serious!!!:rolleyes: I started diving with a "discover" dive, and now look for every oportunity to dive everywhere I go!!!!

Yes, it can be safe, but just like any "extreme" sport, it isn't without risk. That is why you need to pay attention to the instruction at the beginning of the activity.

Advice? You could easily arrange to do this with a private operator and probably save money, have the excursion all to yourselves, and your non-participant friend would be able to "tag along" for free if you do a shore dive. If you do a boat dive, which I strongly recommend, your friend probably could go along if she payed for a snorkel trip.

Travelnotes has 2 discover scuba tours, a shore dive for $55 and a boat dive for $60. The boat dive for $60 is a good value.

Archived