Portofino or Cinque Terre from Genoa

Toyboats

We are arriving in Genoa on June 10, 2010 on the Crown Princess and probably have to decide on going on a tour to either Cinque Terre or Portofino. Can you make a recommendation as to which area we should consider. Is there a tour company that does one or both. Thanks for any thoughts.

Chuck

Portofino is really less than exciting and has little to offer except for scenery, expensive shop and restaurants.

Cinque Terre has more to offer but the travel time is more. Your actual time in Cinque Terre will be greatly reduced. Click on the Italian Train link in my sig line, then look for the home page link, then click on Cinque Terre.

Train connections to CT from Genoa are not that bad.

• 1 month later...

I was in Portofino last year, and it is a beautiful port. Yes there is not a lot to do, but it was great scenery. We are also trying to decide what to do on our Genoa stop. Since I was just in Portofino, I am considering the Princess tour to Milan, it is reasonable cost at $79 per person. I usually don't do ship tours, but this is a 10 hr tour, and you assured that they will wait for you if delayed, and is less expensive than a private tour for the 4 of us.

This site has tours from Genoa, to all the areas you were interested in. They will also go to Milan, but it's not the usual thing they do because of the distance.

http://www.benvenutolimos.com/se_detail.asp?ExcCode=GE4

Archived