Need advice on NCL or Carnival

barkleymom

I need some advice. We have only been on one cruise (Explorer of the Seas, 2005) and are planning on another this march. We liked RCL. Our daughter was five and loved the kids club. My 75 year old mom and single sister liked it, too. This time, we will be traveling with a new addition, our 2 year old daughter.

I have ruled out RCL for this trip because their kids program doesn't start until age 3. We looked into Disney, but it doesn't seem worth the money, given that my mom and sister would like something more than disney entertainment.

So, this leaves NCL and Carnival, which both have a 2 year old program. We are leaning toward NCL because it just seems a little bit more laid back than Carnival (even though Carnival changes diapers :rolleyes:). If we do Carnival, we will cruise on the Dream (even though I read on some boards that it might be smelly in some parts of the ship). My sister and husband would like a cruise that has some nightlife; nothing too wild, but more than a Disney cruise would offer. Of course, my 10 year old needs to be happy too. My only wish is to be able to find a lounge chair that isn't on top of someone else and read a book. Oh, and I like to have a good dinner every night.

A final question about toddlers on cruises; do Carnival or NCL have separate water areas for diaper-wearing tots? I know RCL and Disney do, but I wasn't sure about NCL or Carnival.

Thanks for any and all advice. Planning a cruise is starting to feel like a full-time job.:cool:

We just recently got back from the NCL Pearl with a 2 year old also. There was no area on the ship where he could swim since he was not potty trained. But, honestly, we didn't miss it. We did the beaches when we hit the ports and that was more than enough. The same thing on the Carnival Glory. I believe only RCI and Disney are the only ones that offer that. Have you looked into the Oasis of the Seas? I know that they have the baby and toddler area. Granted, you have to pay for it, but that is also another option. They have an area for the non potty trained to splash around in. We have been on Disney, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and Carnival. We have liked them all. Overall, I think the kids (2, 5, and 9) liked the Carnival the one best, followed by Royal Caribbean a close second. I think it all depends on what kind of kids you have. Our kids enjoyed the Pearl, but there wasn't a whole lot of activity. There was quite a lot of TV time. They page you to change diapers which did present a little bit of a problem once or twice. Our son cried when he saw us leave for a second time. Best of luck on deciding on the right cruise for your family and welcome to Cruise Critic!

With a two year old, I'd choose Carnival. Carnival looks like a more comprehensive children's program and there is still plenty of nightlife. If you want a good dinner, you can go to the steak house and know you won't be paged during dinner just to change a diaper. Since you would be doing the Dream, I think it would be the best Carnival has to offer. My son is 3 and will be on his 10th Carnival cruise next month. He has spent alot of time in Camp Carnival and we have nothing but great things to say about it. I have cruised with NCL and liked it, however, DS has not cruised on NCL so I can't really compare the programs. Carnival has worked great for us, so we don't feel like we need to try anything else until DS is older.

We've done both, with our kids in diapers and not. They are both very similar. Two things that may "edge out" Carnival, depending on your personal preferences:

1--NCL has Freestyle Dining. So, you can eat at any time, which is a bonus for kids. They also have a special kid-size buffet, which is neat. And, with Freestyle Dining, you can arrange your meals so you never, ever have to dress up. Less packing!

2--Most of the NCL Kids CLubs have some sort of playground structure in their Kids Clubs. For a long time, there were balls pits. But, I think they've all been switched out for maze-type climbing structure. Totally fun for kids. Carnival does NOT have that.

I would choose the cruise based on itinerary and price. Hope that helps.

CeleBrat

Archived