Chacchoben or Kohunlich?

lucki701

We will probably be using The Native Choice for an excursion in Costa Maya, but should we tour Chacchoben or Kohunlich? We have never seen any Mayan ruins before. Can anyone recommend one site over the other? We are two adults in our 20s so lots of walking is not a problem.

Katie

Carnival Dream May 2010

Carnival Triumph May 2005

I don't know about Kohunlich but we just went on the Mayan Experience tour with Native Choice and it was fantastic- one of the best excursions we have ever done anywhere. Ivan was our guide at the Chacchoben ruins & the village. Noel was with us in the van....both were informative and friendly.

We will probably be using The Native Choice for an excursion in Costa Maya, but should we tour Chacchoben or Kohunlich? We have never seen any Mayan ruins before. Can anyone recommend one site over the other? We are two adults in our 20s so lots of walking is not a problem.

Katie

Carnival Dream May 2010

Carnival Triumph May 2005

I've only been to Chacchoben. It's a pretty site with some nice temples and plenty of trees (it will still be hot in May - they sell drinks on site or take fluids). It's a nice introduction to the ruins and not too far from the port. When I went there you were not able to climb ruins very high; another poster says you can now climb to the top of one temple. The site is only about ten years old since discovery. One of the temples was still unexcavated when I was there.

Haven't been to Kohunlich. It's a large, renowned site but a longer journey to get there.

We have been to both sites with Native Choice. I'm not sure I could say I prefered one set of ruins to the other. Each had its own highlights. The only real drawback to Kohunlich is the time it takes to get there. That said, both sites have some distinctly wonderful sights.

I don't think I will ever forget the Temple of the Moon at Chacchoben. Coming around the bend in the forest and seeing the temple illuminated in the sun is an otherworldly experience. Likewise catching a glimpse of the stone Masks at Kohunlich touches you in a way you might never have expected. The story retold in the collection of masks, as explained by our guide, really gives you a better sense of the life and times of the Mayan people.

Regardless of which tour you choose, the right guide makes all the difference. Fortunately we have had David (Chacchoben) and Enedina (Kohunlich) and both provided a service that far surpassed the meager charge for the excursion.

One thing to note: I believe there is a minimum number of guests required for a Kohunlich tour. If it is just the two of you, you may not be able to take advantage of that particular opportunity. Chacchoben is by no means a "second rate" experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for review Zada! I was also wondering the same thing.

I do like the fact that Chacchoben is closer and you still have a few hours to wander the beaches if wanted. I need to decide if spending a full day at Kohunlich will be worth it. This will be our first cruise and I'm starting to get overwhelmed with everything! :)

You will not go wrong going to Chacchoben. It was a very enjoyable excursion for me just a few days ago. One comment... there was no climbing to the top of the ruins at Chacchoben. They are roped off and only permit you to climb about 4 or 5 steps up.

In Belize, at Lamanai, you are permitted to climb to the top of the primary temple. If you're brave enough. :-)

Archived