Carnival freedom 1/2/10-1/10/10

htrobaug

I will post a review through out the next few days. Let me preface by saying my boyfriend and I had bad colds during the cruise so my view is tainted a bit. :(. We both enjoyed the cruise and would have had a better time if we felt better.

Pre-cruise we stayed a Hyatt Place out side of IAD. Very good hotel with good service. I was told there was 24 hour shuttle service however there is not. They made it good by paying for a cab at 3:30 a.m. I couldn't ask for any more. The shuttle was waiting for us when we returned last night. A reasonably priced and good place to stay.

At 3:30 a.m. we were off to IAD. The security does not open until 4 a.m. We had to go to a different area. It was quick and efficient. Our flight was supposed to leave at 5:30 a.m. During the cab ride, (about five minutes) it started to rain. Not just rain, freezing rain. Needless to say our flight was delayed 1 hour while we de-iced and anti-iced. Hot and uncomfortable in our seats. But we were heading to warmer weather so who cares.

We arrived to ATL 1 hour late. It made our layover 45 minutes instead of 1 hour and 45 minutes. Alot of people on our plane missed connecting flights. In ATL there was a great deal of fog. 1 hour late to arrive at FFL. We didn't care because we just had to get to our hotel.

Make sure you go a day early in the winter. You never know what will happen.

In Fort Lauderdale Dec. 31. :D

We went to Holiday Inn Express Conv Center. They are undergoing some construction but I never heard a thing. Our room was directly over the lobby were alot of work was being done and not a sound. We are early risers but even when we were in the room during the day we did not hear a thing.

The free shuttle from the airport was called. Her name was Sue. She was very nice and arrived in about 10 minutes. She took us to the hotel and gave us recommendations on things to do in Ft. Lauderdale.

We checked in and got to our room.

We decided to go for a walk. We walked down to the marina. 20 min walk. There were huge boats. Really interesting. We then walked to Chucks Steakhouse and salad bar. About 5 min walk from hotel. It was really good and great service. I would recommend it.

Finally our last stop Dollar tree for suntan lotion, conditioner, cold medicine, etc. We went to the dollar tree a couple of times. 5 min walk from the hotel.

More later

• 2 weeks later...
Okay.... I know this is skipping way ahead... but I just booked a cruise on the Freedom leaving 1/1/11 and I have heard on other post horror stories of all the kids on there during this time. Did you have any problems with unruly kids?

We were on Freedom the first week in January last year. There weren't that many unruly little kids - they go back to school the first week in January. There were lots of College students, but I don't remember them as being very unruly. There were plenty of drunken unruly adults.

Hey goincruisin ':)

We are on the same cruise as you....not that far off, less than a year!

Booked ours a long time ago and am happy to see the countdown is in the 300's.

Anyway, every cruise we have taken during a school break has had alot of kids, some well behaved (with parents who actually give a hoot how their children behave) and some not so much. Our last cruise was on NCL out of LA during Feb break and the kids were horrid but didn't taint our cruise experience.

We are stuck vacationing during school breaks until DD15 leaves for University - for us Family Vacation includes all 3 of us.

With the way Christmas and Boxing Day fall this year our daughter will go back to school on Jan 6th.

Hopefully we will get lucky and sail with a ship full of well-behaved families who are happy to be starting the New Year on a cruise!:)

Thanks for the responses. Where I live our schools resume class on the first Monday of January...so I guess I didn't think about some kids still being out of school. We always go in Sept. when the kids are back in school, but this is our 10 year anniversary cruise. I know this sounds bad about avoiding the kids but their are a bunch of parents out there who just let their kids "run wild" on these cruises.

yvqchick.... We just booked ours and I have no idea what to do on most of these islands, but we have plenty of time to decide. We have been to the Bahamas (we got married at Sandals) and we have been to St. Thomas, but the other islands are new to us!! If you have any suggestions, please share.

And yes I tooooo hope that we have nice little well behaved kiddos on our cruise.

Archived