Bannister or Caye Caulker w/kids 9-16

World Gallery

We are trying to decide now between Bannister Island or Caye Caulker with our children, ages 9 - 16. We will probably use Coral Breezes because they offer both. I may snorkel w/ either one, which is an add on option, but my husband and kids will not. I have heard great things about Caye Caulker on the boards and it sounds very unique but it takes double the time by boat to get to. Any input about what would be the best option? Thanks.

We are trying to decide now between Bannister Island or Caye Caulker with our children, ages 9 - 16. We will probably use Coral Breezes because they offer both. I may snorkel w/ either one, which is an add on option, but my husband and kids will not. I have heard great things about Caye Caulker on the boards and it sounds very unique but it takes double the time by boat to get to. Any input about what would be the best option? Thanks.[/quote

Have been to both. With the kids I would recommend Bannister they will have more to do there. On CC there are basically no beaches.

We were also contemplating those 2. We will have snorkelers and non, so Bannister sounded good. The fact that it was close sealed the deal. BUT, I just found out that the only food on Bannister is hamburgs, hotdogs, grilled chicken & chicken fingers! No regional-type foods, not even rice and beans. That's terrible!!! We have a couple food allergies that will make this stop impossible.

Any other 'cayes' closer than Caye Caulker that might have a restaurant or two, and that might be able to be tied in with a snorkel excursion? Gotta be something :confused:

BUT, I just found out that the only food on Bannister is hamburgs, hotdogs, grilled chicken & chicken fingers! No regional-type foods, not even rice and beans.

We were in Belize on Thursday and went on the snorkel and manatee watch with Coral Breezes that goes to Bannister. I ate rice and beans for lunch. Food is a little expensive, I'm sure because the closest grocery is quite a ways away, but it was tasty.

I've never been to Caulker, but Bannister would be very nice for kids. There is a roped in swimming area with a water trampoline and a nice size playground for them. You can rent kayaks as well. We had pretty bad weather, but still had a blast with the guys on the boat, saw amazing sea life and actually saw quite a few manatee.

"Any other 'cayes' closer than Caye Caulker that might have a restaurant or two, and that might be able to be tied in with a snorkel excursion? Gotta be something :confused:

No, that is the closest Caye. We had looked into other options and then realized it was not possible or required a short flight on a small plane. Not ready for that adventure with our kids!

Sorry for the delay in response - Yes, they did have rice and beans and it was a selection on the printed menu that they had at the bar, so I don't think it was something provided by Coral Breezes. I think you could either get a large serving or a side serving, which we did. Most of the items on the menu were as you were told, but they did have nachos as well. I felt it was more like "bar food" than anything else, but they did have rice and beans.

I am hearing that the cruise ship Bannister Island excursions actually pick you up at the ship and bring you over instead of having to tender to shore then taking another boat to the island. Can anyone tell me if this is true and if this is a good option? thanks.

I am hearing that the cruise ship Bannister Island excursions actually pick you up at the ship and bring you over instead of having to tender to shore then taking another boat to the island. Can anyone tell me if this is true and if this is a good option? thanks.

This is correct you can do it either way. If you book with the ship your stuck with them if you get there and there is bad weather. Ships tours will hardly ever cancel. They will take you to the beach even if its raining and the water is rough. You can pick up a tour in port when you arrive and actually see the port of Belize.

Archived