MSC Formal Night Dress

woodofpine

I'm getting excited about my upcoming cruise on Magnifica (Med - March)...

Notwithstanding the decline and fall of western civilization and the cruise industry as it relates to formal wear... and the multi-line debates here on CC...

I take it MSC is pretty 'typical' of large lines on formal night. The greater majority of men 'appropriately' dressed in suits or tuxes (being 1/4 or 1/3) with casually dressed renegades also 1/4 or 1/3?

Is the dress on MSC in Europe more or less formal than the Caribbean mass market?

I'm getting excited about my upcoming cruise on Magnifica (Med - March)...

Notwithstanding the decline and fall of western civilization and the cruise industry as it relates to formal wear... and the multi-line debates here on CC...

I take it MSC is pretty 'typical' of large lines on formal night. The greater majority of men 'appropriately' dressed in suits or tuxes (being 1/4 or 1/3) with casually dressed renegades also 1/4 or 1/3?

Is the dress on MSC in Europe more or less formal than the Caribbean mass market?

It varies a bit in the med depending on the time of year/passenger mix, but generally speaking from personal observation

dress tends to be more formal in europe than in the caribbean

The women tend to make more of an effort than the men

tuxs and long gowns I'd say 20% or less

suits, cocktail dresses or similar 30 or 40%

sports jackets (worn with or without a tie) and smart dress shirt worn with or without a tie and no jacket can be quite common too,

Complete renegades that turn up casually small percentage varies from 10-20%.

If the cruise is at Christmas or New year then the percantages all move upwards in the favour of the more formal

• 1 month later...

We are sailing out of Venice in March and flying in by RYANAIR:( so luggage allowance is limited. On RCI my husband wears a tux, but would he need one on MSC? how many gala nights are there in a 7 day cruise and when are they likely to be? My son will be 12, will a smart suit be sufficient or should he pack a tux too?

Should we know in advance when our sitting is? from memory I *think* we booked late sitting, but there seems no mention of it on our cruise docs.

Will there be a table tennis table/tournaments?:D

This is a standard question. For a 7 night cruise there will be two gala nights. A tux is not necessary - only a very few men wear one. Best would be a dark suit, but even a sport coat and tie would be perfectly acceptable. Nowadays men wear what they feel most comfortable in whether it be a tux or just a dress shirt and tie. If your 12 year old dresses in a tux or even a suit he will be the only child so dressed in the dining room. Your seating and table number should appear on your cruise card issued when you embark.

Edited by Capricruiser

We seem to be mixing you up as we go along.

On our last cruise on the Splendida in November there were hardly any men in a tux. Most men wore jackets and ties , a few wore shirts and ties and there were hardly any wearing casual tops.

As regards women - many wore black trousers/skirts and sparkly or smart tops. In fact VERY few wore long dresses.

Your son would be appropriately dressed in a shirt and tie.

Dartmoordan didn't specify what ship he was on, but in all my Med cruises I have NEVER seen more than 5-10% of the men in formal wear and maybe 30% of the ladies. Lots of men in dark suits but I would say the informal or casual dressers on gala nights made up a good 40-50% of the male passengers. Regarding the non-gala evenings, on all MSC ships they specify in the daily program whether dinner will be gala, informal, or casual (with "casual" making up about half of the dinners). On casual evenings for example, jeans are perfectly okay.

My experience of MSC tis that there are 2 formal nights on a 7 night Med cruise with the majority dressing formally but few (10-15%) of people in tuxes or long gowns. I'd also say that there is only a minority completely ignoring dress code and wearing something very casual.

• 4 years later...

hello, just wonder if anybody know if we can expect any formal or gala night on 4 days cruise with MSC?

from personal experience for 7-8 days/nights sailings there are 2 GALA and 2 Formal nights with this company. what about 4 days/nights cruise? would it be 1 formal/GALA and rest casual?

thanks in advance for the answers

hello, just wonder if anybody know if we can expect any formal or gala night on 4 days cruise with MSC?

from personal experience for 7-8 days/nights sailings there are 2 GALA and 2 Formal nights with this company. what about 4 days/nights cruise? would it be 1 formal/GALA and rest casual?

thanks in advance for the answers

Been on 4 cruises with them usually at least one formal/gala night, but not to the extreme with tuxs , most just wear a jacket and tie, that's what I like about MSC, not over the top.