News About the Magic

canadacrusier

:)January 12, 2010

“CARNIVAL MAGIC” LAID: WORK STARTS CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE’S NEW FLAGSHIP

Today at Fincantieri’s shipyard at Monfalcone there was the laying of the first block of the cruise ship “Carnival Magic”, ordered by Carnival Cruise Lines (Carnival Group), due for delivery in spring 2011.

The 130,000 gross tonnage, 306 metre-long and 37 metre-wide “Carnival Magic” is a sister ship of the “Carnival Dream” which was delivered by Monfalcone yard last September. In building the “Carnival Magic” Fincantieri will repeat the record it set with her sister ship – the construction of the largest passenger vessel in the history of Italian shipbuilding. Compared to her sister, the new vessel will have a larger number of cabins - 1,845 – plus 746 for the crew giving a total passenger capacity of over 6,000.

The section laid in the dry dock today is approximately 18 metres long, 21.5 metres wide and weighs 630 tons.

In addition to the “Carnival Magic”, Monfalcone shipyard is engaged in the construction of another two vessels: the “Azura”, 116,000 gross tonnes, for P&O Cruises and due for delivery next spring, and the “Queen Elizabeth”, a liner for Cunard Line launched on 5 January and due for delivery in autumn this year. The yard’s order book also includes a recent order for a third ship in the “Dream” class, again for Carnival Cruise Lines, which will enter service in spring 2012.

I have to wonder what they are thinking adding more cabins after all the complaints of long buffet lines and not enough seating for the shows. Looks like gross tonnage is staying the same.

I love Carnival but 6,000 people is way too many for me.

Oooh a 3rd ship???? Wonder what the name will be!

Rumor...is that it will be called the Carnival Passion...I heard it onboard my last cruise and thought it was a joke...then I get back and start to read and im not the only one that has heard it so that was positive.

Now why they are building the Dream "3" as Carnival calls it. lol I dont know, I think they need a ship or 2 around the 160,000 to 196,000 gross tons, with something original on it..they really havent taken any "risks" with that last few ships they have built...Yeah Gerry Cahill and company say that they are focusing on traditional cruising, but they might be the last one stuck in the 90's if they dont.

JUST MY 2 PENNIES. :D

I have to wonder what they are thinking adding more cabins after all the complaints of long buffet lines and not enough seating for the shows. Looks like gross tonnage is staying the same.

I love Carnival but 6,000 people is way too many for me.

The Dream's maximum is more around 4,700....not 6,000 ... that is the Oasis.

Normal Capacity (2 to a cabin) is 3,646.

Full guest capacity (every berth filled) is 4,633.

We spent 9 lovely days on her last month....and personally experienced the same lines we have experienced on any other Carnival ship. Perhaps even better than some and certainly not any worse.

We had been reading about the horrible lines at the Pasta Bar.... lining down the stairs.... we ate there 4 times with out any wait at all.

Now the Mongolian Wok was a long wait. (I don't know exactly .. I did not time it) But that is because you select the exact vegetables you want in your dish and they are cooked individually....and WELL worth it.

Rumor...is that it will be called the Carnival Passion...I heard it onboard my last cruise and thought it was a joke...then I get back and start to read and im not the only one that has heard it so that was positive.

Now why they are building the Dream "3" as Carnival calls it. lol I dont know, I think they need a ship or 2 around the 160,000 to 196,000 gross tons, with something original on it..they really havent taken any "risks" with that last few ships they have built...Yeah Gerry Cahill and company say that they are focusing on traditional cruising, but they might be the last one stuck in the 90's if they dont.

JUST MY 2 PENNIES. :D

Having just sailed on the Dream....I don't think I would want a ship any larger.

I don't want to cruise with 6,000 guests. Carnival Corporation has larger ships...in their Cunard line.

I do hope they tweek the layout on the Promenade. I think a lot of that Lanai (outdoor walking space) is wasted space and it leaves a bottleneck at the coffee bar on formal nights when all the picture taking is going on.

The COOL thing though is that you can avoid all that by taking Deck 4 (Lower Dream) from the Atrium to the Aft. Hardly anyone down there....

if you need to get from the front to the back quickly....

One thing I do like about Carnival Corporation is that they allow each cruise line to have their own individual "place" in the cruising world.

The Dream's maximum is more around 4,700....not 6,000 ... that is the Oasis.

Normal Capacity (2 to a cabin) is 3,646.

Full guest capacity (every berth filled) is 4,633.

We spent 9 lovely days on her last month....and personally experienced the same lines we have experienced on any other Carnival ship. Perhaps even better than some and certainly not any worse.

We had been reading about the horrible lines at the Pasta Bar.... lining down the stairs.... we ate there 4 times with out any wait at all.

Now the Mongolian Wok was a long wait. (I don't know exactly .. I did not time it) But that is because you select the exact vegetables you want in your dish and they are cooked individually....and WELL worth it.

Good to hear. I still think I'm a small ship girl at heart, though. :) Will find out for sure on our first Fantasy class ship in November.

I got the 6,000 people from the OP - the press release said, "Compared to her sister, the new vessel will have a larger number of cabins - 1,845 – plus 746 for the crew giving a total passenger capacity of over 6,000."

I do love the Mongolian thing, though - we sailed the Liberty twice and had it for lunch all the time. I'm a picky eater so it's perfect to be able to pick my own stuff!

I got an Email from uncle Bob D and he liked the name Carnival Evolution . they will get it right sooner or latter , so it fits

Since "Uncle Bob" had not been the President or CEO of Carnival for several years.....seems like you have incorrect information.

It is certainly incorrect that Carnival needs to "evolve", They already have it right.....which is why they sail at 105% while other cruise lines are not.

Since "Uncle Bob" had not been the President or CEO of Carnival for several years.....seems like you have incorrect information.

It is certainly incorrect that Carnival needs to "evolve", They already have it right.....which is why they sail at 105% while other cruise lines are not.

I Know that uncle Bob is not the CEO of Carnival. But carnival is always changing for the better so they are evolving. So by the time they build the 3rd dream class they might have it even better then the first.By evolving they can only get better I hope

a larger number of cabins - 1,845 – plus 746 for the crew giving a total passenger capacity of over 6,000.

That 6000 sounds like total # of people on board with crew included. The passenger capacity would be under 5000 during holiday sailings and most likely under 4000 on most sailings. Some cabins can accomodate only 2 passengers

That 6000 sounds like total # of people on board with crew included. The passenger capacity would be under 5000. Some cabins can accommodate only 2 passengers.

Is that 1845 guess cabins = 3690 pass, 746 crew cabins = 1492 crew.That give a total of 5152 people?How many cabins on the Dream ?

Other than adding more cabins, I wonder if there will be other changes made. Do you think they give the first ship in a new class sort of a "trial run", like the Dream? And, then tweak the design and make changes to improve it with each new ship built? Have they done that with the ships in the other classes? Anyone know?

So, how many more cabins (compared to Dream) will this 2nd ship have? And, how are they going to fit them in? Guess nobody knows, at least not us.

Set to debut in May 2011, the 3,690-passenger vessel will be the second in the line’s Dream-class series and will offer a number of amenities and facilities popularized on the Carnival Dream – a sprawling water park, an Ocean Plaza café/entertainment venue and a wrap-around outdoor promenade – along with some new and exciting features to be announced in the near future.

I Know that uncle Bob is not the CEO of Carnival. But carnival is always changing for the better so they are evolving. So by the time they build the 3rd dream class they might have it even better then the first.By evolving they can only get better I hope

"they will get it right sooner or later" was your quote I was referencing.

You were implying that Carnival doesn't have it "right" and I believe they do.

Can things get better? ... of course, since no cruise line has it perfect yet.

I just don't believe that bigger is better. ;)

cruise ship deck plans show:

passenger capacity of 4631

+1492crew(the 746 crew cabinsx2) =6123

???

When I look at the size and capacity of a ship...I do not count crew...

because crew will not be standing in line at the buffet. Most of them, we will never even see. Some we will only see at selected hours (cleaning our rooms or serving our meals) and they will not be affecting my Embarkation, Debarkation or getting off at ports.....

When we sailed with John Heald in October, he had mentioned that Carnival was thinking of getting back to "-tion" when it comes to ship naming (think Fascination, Sensation, etc). Whether or not that comes to be, I'll guess we'll eventually find out.

When we sailed with John Heald in October, he had mentioned that Carnival was thinking of getting back to "-tion" when it comes to ship naming (think Fascination, Sensation, etc). Whether or not that comes to be, I'll guess we'll eventually find out.

I think the Carnival Illusion would be a good name......

Archived