18 year old in Mexico from cruise

car7brg

My daughter will be 18 when we cruise in June. I know she can't drink on the boat (Carnival Triumph) but can she still have a drink when we do excursions? She wants to try some things out! I will be with her, so I'm not afraid of her overindulging!;)

My daughter will be 18 when we cruise in June. I know she can't drink on the boat (Carnival Triumph) but can she still have a drink when we do excursions? She wants to try some things out! I will be with her, so I'm not afraid of her overindulging!;)

Tell her to have no fear. She will be able to try anything that she would like. 18 is the official age of drinking in Mexico. However, that is very flexable and not enforced unless an underage drinker manages to get themselves in trouble with the law.

Tell her to have no fear. She will be able to try anything that she would like. 18 is the official age of drinking in Mexico. However, that is very flexable and not enforced unless an underage drinker manages to get themselves in trouble with the law.

We saw a couple of (about)12-14yo boys with beers, and they were also

lined up with others tilting their heads back for the margarita pours

at ones of the bars.

My 16yo son just looked at me and shook his head.

btw, on NCL the 18 is the drinking age for beer and wine

w/ parents approval

Our kids loved Carlos and Charlies for a fun atmosphere and fun drinks when they were about 18. The forbidden fruit is always sweeter!:p We also went to Sr. Frogs, but it was too loud and rowdy for their much too old parents during spring break cruises.

Drinking on land during our cruises was a good learning lesson for my kids as we saw many youngsters who had been overserved and having difficulty making it back to the ship. We have seen girls passed out on the street and left by their so called friends while trying to make it back to the ship.

We used it as a great learning tool that it is really not a smart idea either in the states, and especially in a foreign country, to drink past the point of sensibility. One of the captains of our cruise helped us the most when he announced on the loudspeaker before we were allowed off the ship in Coz that we needed to be back to the ship on time. He told us the previous week they had left 24 people behind who must have enjoyed the island a little bit too much.

Have a great time and let her enjoy her time--but not too much!

Our kids loved Carlos and Charlies for a fun atmosphere and fun drinks when they were about 18. The forbidden fruit is always sweeter!:p We also went to Sr. Frogs, but it was too loud and rowdy for their much too old parents during spring break cruises.

Drinking on land during our cruises was a good learning lesson for my kids as we saw many youngsters who had been overserved and having difficulty making it back to the ship. We have seen girls passed out on the street and left by their so called friends while trying to make it back to the ship.

We used it as a great learning tool that it is really not a smart idea either in the states, and especially in a foreign country, to drink past the point of sensibility. One of the captains of our cruise helped us the most when he announced on the loudspeaker before we were allowed off the ship in Coz that we needed to be back to the ship on time. He told us the previous week they had left 24 people behind who must have enjoyed the island a little bit too much.

Have a great time and let her enjoy her time--but not too much!

Your daughter will be able to drink anything she wants in Mexico, along with pretty much anybody who's tall enough to be seen over the bar. We have a bunch of teenagers ourselves. We let them have a great time but we keep them with us and watch over them for all of the above reasons!

Drinking age is of no issue in Cozumel or Progresso. We went as a family to Progresso, took the bus tour and stopped by outdoor bar for a couple $1 Coronas. We bought several and gave one to our 19 yr old and her 21 yr old boyfriend. They drink at home as well, but we offered it to them here. After shopping on main street, hubby and I decided to take the 6 yr old back to the ship to swim. We left instructions when they should leave to make it back to the boat on time. Little did we know, but they ended up back at the outdoor bar, ordered more beers and my 13 yr old and her 14 yr old friend were too offered anything they wanted. The 14 yr old had several Coronas and my 13 yr old ordered 2 large pina coladas. Needless to say, She did not make it to dinner that night. The 21 yr old stayed in the cabin with her and ordered room service. The next day in Cozumel we all stayed together.

Lesson learned.

DD was 19 last year, we did an AI in Coz - didn't notice she had that much to drink until we got back to the pier. Had to hang on to her walking down that long pier. She spent the next 4 hours in the bathroom. Never made it to dinner or the show that night. Think it was a great learning experience! She hasn't touched tequilla since. :D

We just got back last week from the same cruise & she only had a couple drinks at both stops where we had AI's.

Enjoy your cruise!

We had a 16 yr old in our group who wanted to try a few drinks for the first time.

Her parents thought it was an opportune time, as no one was driving and she had both parents and her aunt and uncle there to supervise.

She tried a banana daiquiri, a mamacita, a tequila shot and a sex on the beach.

She did not make dinner that night and now has learned the negative side of alcohol, while being completely supervised.

As a very smart (honor student) and very mature for her age kid, I definitely thought it was an incredibly value lesson for her learn, surrounded by family to watch out for her.

Bill

Thanks for all the help! It is just she and I, and I am certainly not going to let her overindulge and miss something on vacation. I think we are doing Nachi Cocum and they have unlimited but I am right beside her the whole time! I think a couple throughout the day with some water between will be enough. In Progresso we are doing a short ruin trip and stopping at a bar for a drink or two before shopping, so I will be right ther too! I imagine the drinks are watered down a bit. I'm glad the drinking age changed on the ship, I don't have to worry about it there. That is sad and a little scary that young teenagers are allowed to drink in bars down there! That is why she is not going to Cancun with friends on Spring Break!

I'm in the same boat with my daughter. She and her best friend will be 18 when we cruise in March and she has already hit me up. I guess we will handle it when we get there, but I think were kidding ourselves if we think we will be witnessing our 18-year-olds first drink. :rolleyes:

Archived