Food allergies on Indy's AO

cantw8togo

Does anyone have any tips or insights regarding how AO handles food allergies? We just booked a trip on Indy that departs in 2 weeks. Our 6 yr old DS is allergic to dairy protein which can be found in many foods. Thankfully he is not anaphylatic, but we definitely avoid dairy in all of it's various forms. I plan on speaking to the manager at Johnny Rockets to find out what is suitable in case our son decides that he does want to join the lunches or dinners that the staff take the kids to. Do the kids get snacks in AO during the day?

Thanks for any comments,

N.

When we reserved our dd to go to Johnny Rockets they asked about food allergies. The only snack she got in AO was fruit. I believe we were asked on the registration paperwork about allergies, too. DD was just released from a peanut allergy (yeah!) so we didn't have to check beyond the basic paperwork anymore. I'm sure they have a procedure in place to keep the kids safe. You may also want to contact the special needs department before you board and the maitre d' once on board to arrange for special meals. Also remind your servers. There was a long thread over the summer started by a mom whose child had a dairy allergy. She came back at the end and posted what worked for her. (i.e. maybe avoid the Windjammer and try to eat with the same waitstaff in MDR whenever possible,) Our allergist always stressed that a food allergy can turn more severe without warning so you probably want to carry an epipen with you just in case. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Archived