Buying Alcohol in Antigua

goodtoglow

Are there any stores that sell cold beer in port? We want to go to the beach for the day but would love to fill up a cooler with beer, as we plan on going to a secluded beach... Or are we better off hopping in a taxi and asking them to stop somewhere?

My wife and I spent a week there last summer, but really never made it down to the pier area when anything was open. It was my impression that it was mostly gift shop type places (jewelry, etc). There are really no convenience stores and dang few grocery stores. No Walgreens or that type thing. I can't tell you for sure that there's not a place to buy a case of beer, but I wouldn't count on it. Someone who's been to the pier area more might could tell you better than I, but it's a different sort of place. Most of the little store in the touristy areas sell beer, but if I remember correctly it was mostly singles. Don't recall seeing ANY liquor stores. Unless you're planning on doing some pretty heavy duty drinking it's probably just as well to buy 'em as you go. I you do find a groc. store don't know if they'll have coolers. Our drivers were always patient as far as stopping at stores, etc. so that might be your best bet. They'll probably know the best place to go.

Have a great trip!

JHC

Thanks so much for your reply :) I am bringing a Coleman cooler that holds 20 cans of beer, resembles a laptop bag, and will lie flat in my suitcase for easy transportation. I will definitely just ask our taxi driver to stop somewhere for some beer and ice then - we are going to a secluded beach so there will be nowhere there to buy beer and cold drinks. Thanks :)

Archived