Bringing school supplies to Samana

DC'sgirl

Hello,

I will be on the Pearl in March. I have heard other posters who bring school supplies to Samana. I was just wondering if anyone can give advice on this. How do you get the supplies to the kids, did you go to a school or is this something that NCL collects and distributes for you? Any ideas of what to bring? Also, I have heard that after the earthquake in Hati, a lot of people have been brought to the Dominican Republic, is there something more useful we could bring? I feel it's the least we can do, we are fortunate enough to take this wonderful cruise, I would like to give back something!

Thanks for any info!

-Katy

Hello' date='

I will be on the Pearl in March. I have heard other posters who bring school supplies to Samana. I was just wondering if anyone can give advice on this. How do you get the supplies to the kids, did you go to a school or is this something that NCL collects and distributes for you? Any ideas of what to bring? Also, I have heard that after the earthquake in Hati, a lot of people have been brought to the Dominican Republic, is there something more useful we could bring? I feel it's the least we can do, we are fortunate enough to take this wonderful cruise, I would like to give back something!

Thanks for any info!

-Katy[/quote']

Here's a reply that I received from Catherine:

I am the Executive Director of the DREAM Project in Cabarete, but I actually live near Samana and we organize a lot of donations to the local schools through our tour company, Casa Dorado. Most of our clients visit the school in las Galeras before going on the excursion. I am pasting some of the info about our trips below. If you are not interested in the excursions, I can have the head of the Las Galeras taxi union meet you in Samana as you exit to ship to accept the donation and he will deliver directly to the school in Las Galeras.

Catherine

Casa Dorado Excursions

Playa Rincon Excursion - Conde Nast Traveler ranked this beach as one of the world's 10 best. It's so splendid, in fact, that many Dominicans refer to it as the most beautiful on the island. Over three miles long, Playa Rincon is surrounded by coconut palms and almond trees, not to mention a 2,000 foot mountain on one end. The best way to get to this isolated beach is by boat; a ride that is definitely worth it. Round-trip boat ride from Las Galeras main beach to Playa Rincon is $200 for up to 10 people. (7 or less passengers is $160). There are several small restaurants on Playa Rincon, where you can order a fish, lobster or chicken lunch.

Combo Excursion - The combo excursions includes snorkeling at la Playita in Las Galeras then a boat ride to Playa Rincon. We provide all snorkeling equipment, snorkeling guide and bottled water. The price of the trip is $280 for up to 10 people.

We are located in Las Galeras, which is 18 miles from Samana. We can reserve a taxi that will be waiting for you on the Samana boat Dock and will bring you straight to Las Galeras main beach and return you at your leisure. The taxi is $100 roundtrip for up to 10 people. The taxi is a large van/small bus that easily fits 10 passengers.

catherine@dominicandream.org

Archived