Has anyone used Jaital or Ocho Rios Tours to book a private tour?

carebear35

When I was in Jamaica I used Lacells from www.traversejamaica.com He was so wonderful. Kept us safe (we didn't get offered drugs and the vendors didn't bother us.) He took us to Dunn's River Falls, and even took pictures of us climbing the falls. We went to a great jerk place - prices were fantastic. For about 40 American, we got two whole chickens, drinks, jerk fist (about half a fish), roasted bread fruit (tastes just like homemade bread) and regular bread. Lacells is very knowledgeable about the island (as he should be, he grew up there) and points out all the great places. He knows everyone, and really knows great places to go. He has a great van, airconditioned and very comfortable. He does custom tours and his prices are great.

When we go back to Jamaica this summer to go house hunting, I'll be calling Lacells again.

If you want pictures or more info, just let me know.

Kristin

Hmmm... these are new to me - sorry, wish I knew more. I will add that we've used Marva Shaw and have been tremendously pleased with her and her tours. :) Let me know if you have any questions about her - will be more than happy to help.

• 6 months later...

Hi, we just got back from a Western Carribean tour on Carnival. We opted to book our excursions outside the ship which has worked well before and did so this time--EXCEPT IN JAMAICA. We arranged for the river rafting and beach package via Jaital. The price was right and it seemed alluring so we put a deposit down prior to departing for the cruise. We were told to disembark the ship upon arrival as the Jaital representative would meet us 30 minutes after the ship had docked. We reached the end of the pier and were redirected to a holding area by port personnel where we stood around for maybe 45 minutes or more. My elderly father-in-law was with us so this was not a great way to start the adventure as there was no seating provided and already the hot sun was out. Finally our driver "Alphonso" arrived and we 5 were placed into a comfortable but technically mini-van (Toyota). He was very cheerful and welcoming so it seemed to be off to the good start after all. Then we sat in the parking lot for some time while he worked the crowds and grabbed a few more folks to shove in the van who wanted to go to another destination. Finally we departed, with Alphonso careening down the roadways. I'm no whimp, but a family member has a bad neck and Alphonso's racing through the streets and around curves and over bumps was causing her needless pain. The other parties were dropped off at their location (which turned into a cluster as they were possibly not going to be admitted to their attraction and everyone in their party plus Alphonso had to go inside and try to work it out). Again, there we 5 sat in the van wondering what the heck we'd gotten ourselves into. Alphonso finally returned and advised we would be returning to the port to pick up some more cruisers! So back we went, and sat, and then the other parties were shoved into the van. They were let off at Dunn River falls and finally we were on our way to the river rafting. Alphonso loved to play the Jamaican role with the, "No problem" and assuring us he was doing us a favor as the river water would be warmer if we waited and the place wasn't even open yet anyway. Finally, after careening through more hillside streets and dirt road (I do have to say seeing the everyday Jamaican people and their simple houses was the most interesting thing at this point) we were let off at a simple shack and turned over to some locals for the river trip. They were sweet, but young and the affair was very basic. The tubes were just overinflated truck tires with round plastic cutouts strapped to the bottom via frayed ropes. They did serve their function however. We were placed into the river one by one and began floating down. The scenery was beautiful jungle overgrowth. The water was chilly but also somewhat refreshing. We floated by the occasional home and also saw the locals at the river's edge doing their laundry. After maybe 10 minutes of light rapids and smooth surface sailing, we pulled out at a point for a "break." This also gave their photographer time to shoot some pictures of us on approach and then make arrangements for printing and pick up at the end of the excursion. They were all very nice but it was basically a time killer and bit of a money maker. After we re-entered the water (maybe 15 mins later) we floating it seemed like 5 more minutes and then we reached the take-out point! We were met by Alphonso who had kept our belongings safely stowed on board. Upon paying the local lads a tip, we were driven off for our beach visit. This was another scam because he took us to this "private beach" where we were handed off to his buddy who insisted on leading us the short way to the shore and then wanted badly to be our personal bartender and waiter...all for nice tips of course. The setting was small but lovely, and full of other tourists. To have a lounge chair cost $6. And any food or beverages of course were pricey too. You just wade out into a calm cove and can see the ship's smoke stack over the hill so we never really did get far away from the port area. Alphonso told us to meet him by 12:15 in the upper lot (though we had hoped to stay until 12:30). He also about threw us all out of the van with all of our belongings when we arrived at the beach because obviously he would be back working the pier and other tours. That's his perogative, but it was all kind of a turn off. When we returned to the parking lot, Alphonso was not there at the designated time. We stood around maybe 30 minutes and finally he left word via his buddy at the beach that he was on his way.... Meantime a family member bargained a return trip with another van waiting in the lot so we ended up going with them, for $5/pp. Overall, I can see where staying at a Jamaican resort, and away from the town, could be a lovely and relaxing experience. But we were hustling, and being hustled, the entire 6 hours we had in port. If we had it to do all over again, I would recommend taking the ship's excursion as those passengers were quickly wisked away and attended to would be expected. Sorry for the length of this, but I just wanted to vent plus warn about the Jamaiican way of doing business!

• 2 weeks later...

In July we used knowjamaica.com with Marva Shaw and had a wonderful day. The driver was very experienced and the guide was very pleasant. We came from Montego Bay and went to Ocho Rios. The port is a zoo but after the initial worry we found out that Marva is known and there were no worries for the rest of the day.

Archived