Markets in Hanoi?

themaxydog

I believe I saw a small item regarding markets on or near the waterfront area in Hanoi. Can someone enlighten me what we may find close by where we will get off the tenders.

Cheers

Hanoi is about a 3+ hour drive from where your ship docks. Hanoi is inland, not close to the ocean. I have no idea what you are referring to unless you mean the mass of vendors that show up in the port areas on "cruise days".

The only waterfront area in Hanoi is Hoa Kiem Lake, which IS where the market is. Fantastic market-NOT for the leisurely tourist looking for souvenirs, though. It is an old time market built on the European guild system. One street/area will be dedicated to kitchen ware, one street/area dedicated to woodworking stuff, one street/area dedicated to the most fantastic doorknobs you have ever seen (I import them).

There are some touristy shops BEFORE you go into the market proper that sell lacquer ware, silk wall hangings, cone hats, flip flops (they have the old style 1970's never wear out flip flops-I import them too-the BEST are made by BITI's). But the actual market is a true working market with little there in the way of "touristy" things. But oh, the finds if you are into unusual items. Not handcrafts, just unusual-like my beautiful doorknobs.

Those "dreamy" things they advertise on TV for $20.00-like a sleeping bag made of sheets. They have them in silk for about $6.00. I import them too. And they are in the market in some of the many, many shops selling linens and stuff. It takes some looking to find them just because it is not really a "tourist" market. They are not often displayed in the front of the store. So digging you will go to find unusual stuff. Worth it, IF you have the patience. Enjoy!!!

Archived