Poesia:honest comments and suggestions for future travelers

IrishRoots

I too was on the 1/9-16 Poesia Carribbean Cruise.

We had a nice time, but do not plan to use MSC again.

Food was sometimes good, often mediocre. I work too hard for

my money to spend it for mediocre. If you are a family with kids, it is a good value for the money. For me, it was not. I had a good time because we spent it with my daughter and her family.

Comments:

Ship: is clean, but in my experience they all have been.

Shows: I only went to 2, but they were both excellent and well attended.

Room: very small (yes! I know they are never large unless you have a suite and yes I know you do not take a cruise and expect to spend it in your room!). We like to wind down and read in our room for a while each day. Furniture consisted of bed, nighttables, minibar with TV, vanity(with a hairdryer in drawer) a stool (to sit at vanity), a small table and ONE chair. I was very happy we had a balcony to sit together on. Very clean, and 2 terry bathrobes for use. I am accustomed to at least 2 chairs or a loveseat sofa even in a cruise cabin.

Excursions: book early. If TV says sold out they may still be available if you go to the desk . We were told the glass bottom boat trip-which we really wanted-was cancelled only to book something else then find out the trip was on. My dtr had a trip cancelled due to lack of interest and she had to hustle to get 4 people onto another trip. Well organized getting to the transportation. I do agree with the person who complained about the Nassau tour. The panoramic tour was not great so pick something else. My husband and I enjoyed the harbor tours in St. Maartin and Tortola. We had planned to just walk around in San Juan but got onto a van that gave a tour for $20 that was not associated with the line and it was a nice tour that a group from our ship had booked on. Lines were very long at the desk whenever we went.

Food: Dining Room: Dinner was sometimes good, often mediocre, never great. The lobster dinner came too late to send back, was overcooked, small, and too full of garlic. Also noticed a table nearby that did not have ice in their shrimp cocktail holding cup and wonder if those were the people who were hit with food poisoning. Our shrimp coctails had ice in the holding cup but it was half melted which meant they were prepared well in advance. Desserts were predictable. I actually ordered off the childrens menu twice because it was more to my liking then the adult menu!

Tips: We allowed the daily fee however I think in the future we will resume our individual method. We did give our waiter extra. I know many of these people get "stiffed" by travelers and feel badly for them. I have read that the ships that do this keep 3-5% as a processing fee on their employees.

Breakfast and Lunch: Buffet style also predictable. By the time you finish the line and take a seat the food is at best barely warm. Head for the back of the boat as there are always seats there, and a great view. We had breakfast the last day in the DR and I wish we had gone there more. Same choices but at least the food was hot. Same for lunch: the burger I had in DR was far better than the buffet. On the last day my dtr went to buffet. They ran out of coffee. We were in the DR and had a hot breakfast and killed time waiting for our luggage color to be called.

Shows: were very good. We attended 2 and enjoyed them.

Staff: our head waiter, Luigi, was great. He looked out for food allergies for my grandson and myself. There were communication problems with the waiter and Luigi kept on top of this. Staff, with exception of desk staff, were all very pleasant and helpful. The desk staff were nasty and unpleasant. My key stopped working, as someone else posted, and I was told to not put it near a magnet or cell phone in the future. I had not , and had no problem telling the staffer that. She seemed to think I had done it on purpose. I overheard them being argumentative to several people during the trip.

Computer: don't bring one. Takes a long time to get satelite info. I tried to use the ships computer cafe, hoping it would be faster than my wireless, to print up my boarding pass home. It cost me $23 not to be able to do this. I gave up because the connection kept getting lost. Several other couples were trying and it was taking a long time for them too. I did not see anyone print one up successfully.

Poop Smell: was definitely there several times on deck 13 despite what someone else said (and made a childish ignorant comment on!). My husband has an engineering background and told me it was sewage gas and was suprised they were not expelling it at night when the deck was less crowded rather than the heat and height of the day.

Disembarkation: well done. We were off by 10:30 however I got annoyed on the taxi line. It was long but moving, then a woman in a wheelchair was put to the front(OK-I can deal with that!) and then soon after another woman with several suitcases was put to the head of line by her porter. THAT annoyed me and I almost said something but a van operator came by looking for people to fill a van at $11 each so we got in and were away before we would have been in a taxi. My dtr spent $15 for a family of 4 to get to airport by taxi.

Spa: They really push massages. I usually treat myself to a facial because the spa staff on cruises are always very well trained (and are usually from Great Britain where they have an extensive apprenticeship program for cosmetologists). I made my appt. and spoke to the esthetician about my allergies. I arrived for the appt, reminded her of an allergy to topical Vit. C and algae/sea products, and was told she had no products that she could use on my. I was clear in my communication when the appt was made and was annoyed that she had not paid attention. She then tried to switch me to a massage or acupuncture! I left.

Fellow Cruisers: some were very rude especially about blocking the deck and cutting on line. Twice I spoke up, and twice I received a French answer. I know this line is well know in Europe and for that reason has more europeans on it than Americans are used to travel in the company of on cruises.

Formal Nights: I am used to one formal night on a 7 day cruise. We have been on longer cruises that have 2 or more. I know some people live for this night and enjoy the dress up however we are not in that category. We dress down and usually attend alternative dining HOWEVER I did not know this was not an option on this ship because they close the buffet and the extra charge restaurants so....we attended in our matching hawaiian shirts and did not care if the people in tux and gowns "gave us the eye". If you don't give me an alternative place to eat, enjoy my colorful shirt. We travel light due to the restrictions on planes now.

Comments about these boards:

If there is a board moderator I do wish they would exercise discretion regarding infantile comments by posters. Additionally, I believe some of

the posters who are MSC "cheerleaders" are in the employ of MSC or receive perks. One poster in particular. Look at the statistics and you will see that 80-90% of posts they make are regarding MSC. If that is the case, and MSC is the only line you really travel, or you receive perks from, then you cannot compare with other lines nor can you be unbiased.

The website should strive to make these boards as helpful and factual as possible to aid the cruising fans make informed decisions about what lines to give their business to.

I am middle class, middle income, and work very hard for my money. It has to be spent wisely and get me the best value for my buck. My comments are honest and unbiased, and, I hope, helpful to others.

IrishRoots,

What other cruise lines have you been on?

We sail in March and are trying to learn as much as possible going into a new cruise line. What suggestions would you give to those of us going for the first time to try and make the experience the best possible, considering several of the weaknesses you have pointed out - and that have been pointed out by others as well since the ship has been in the Caribbean? It does sound as if the cruise line is improving as time goes on (said with several body parts crossed!!!!!).

I have been on Holland America, Celebrity, Royal Carribbean, Carnival, and my first and favorite (but no longer in service) Regal.

I had no problems or complaints with HAL, Celebrity, or RCCL.

We were on Carnival the first time they went to New England and

Canada, and wound up having to go out to sea and miss a port thanks

to a hurricane. It was then I learned the least rocky part of the

boat is in the middle and toward the bottom! I was looking up at

waves.

From now on I vow to do self assist for disembarkation. Doing that

would have saved me 2 hours. I also plan only to leave from ports I

can drive to from now one as the disembarkation and subsequent flying

home is tiring. Much easier to carry luggage off and get into a car service.

(Until we do Alaska again!)

We are deciding between a flight to Montreal then cruise thru St. Lawrence seaway to N.Y ,,which we have never done, or another Bermuda cruise for the fall.

Get to know your waiter, avoid the buffet, and ask for something else if you do not like the food!

If any cruisers just returned from 7 night cruise on the Poesia - did any one get food poisoning or some sort of gastric problem? Just curious - I was on that sailing and got very ill along with 2 other people at our dinner table for 8

I too was on the 1/9-16 Poesia Carribbean Cruise.

Comments about these boards:

If there is a board moderator I do wish they would exercise discretion regarding infantile comments by posters. Additionally, I believe some of

the posters who are MSC "cheerleaders" are in the employ of MSC or receive perks. One poster in particular. Look at the statistics and you will see that 80-90% of posts they make are regarding MSC. If that is the case, and MSC is the only line you really travel, or you receive perks from, then you cannot compare with other lines nor can you be unbiased.

The website should strive to make these boards as helpful and factual as possible to aid the cruising fans make informed decisions about what lines to give their business to.

I am middle class, middle income, and work very hard for my money. It has to be spent wisely and get me the best value for my buck. My comments are honest and unbiased, and, I hope, helpful to others.

I agree with geting rid of infantile comments....but do take exception to your comments about MSC cheerleaders, yes , we know who they are, and sometime do get over zealous, but this is only fair, since by the same token negative reviews which seems to appear for the same cruisedates by onetime posters are simply suspect.

...and I do not agree that you have to had traveled with a variety of different lines to compare, in order to post a review or comment, I want to read them both....then I will try to disect the info,

I am a longtime reader but new to theses forums, have sailed on 6 different lines,(will not name them in order to remain unbiased) yet my workmate, who also posts only does one line, has only ever done one line and he enjoys giving his fair, honest reviews from that particular line (he does not compare, he just answers other peoples questions)

We all need to do our research, when I read a very negative review from a poster, I click on his/her name and view some of their other posts, do they seem balanced? or is it trashing? ........so keep them coming, good and bad

If any cruisers just returned from 7 night cruise on the Poesia - did any one get food poisoning or some sort of gastric problem? Just curious - I was on that sailing and got very ill along with 2 other people at our dinner table for 8

I didn't hear of any problems on the 1/16-23 that my wife and I just returned from.

And FWIW I never got a whiff of the sewer gas that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

I tried to do the quote thing but cannot figure it out.

Please re-read my wording. I did not say that you should not post if you haven't traveled other lines. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I did say you cannot compare if you have only traveled one line.

Kind of like if you only have ever had apples, how can you tell an orange

is not better (or worse, or just plain different?). I am new to these boards, but it is rather easy to see that some posters are real watchdogs

for "their" line.

I think the original intent of these boards was to give factual and helpful information to fellow travelers, and therefore anyone posting should be honest about their experiences rather than bashing OR cheerleading.

I already know who not to bother to read, and got a real chuckle from

comments made by others about that poster! I guess all industries (Police and Fireman have internal affairs dept etc) have their industry spies!

I tried to do the quote thing but cannot figure it out.

I think the original intent of these boards was to give factual and helpful information to fellow travelers, and therefore anyone posting should be honest about their experiences rather than bashing OR cheerleading.

I already know who not to bother to read, and got a real chuckle from

comments made by others about that poster! I guess all industries (Police and Fireman have internal affairs dept etc) have their industry spies!

Firstly, as for quotes, simply click the quote tab(bottom right) of the poster you want to quote and a new box wil appear with that posters remark/review etc..and add your coments

..as for your points, needed to be said, honest reviews are needed, I agree, thank you..geting hard to dig through some of the obvious planted remarks..........I personaly like MSC, but cannot comment or compare to other lines (new to cruising) will try different lines.

Would like to try Princess, but could not find an itinerary that matched our scheduled time off.

...if anyone wants to shed light on differences to these two lines, I would appreciate that too ( family cruise only)

I can`t believe anyone would say Regal cruises was best cruiseline, oh my goodness!!! An old ship that was sailing from N.Y. that had too many issues to go into. EVERY cruise that has a 7 day itinerary does 2 formal nights, 10 & above have 3. If your going on a cruise & a suit or tux is required & you don`t want to conform, please realize this is not for you, I`m not being mean, just a realist.

I think very cruise has a formal night, so that means cruising would not be right for me? not so. On other cruises I've been on there were at least alternatives for formal night. MSC gives you no alternative except to pay at an alternative dining option. I have already paid for my meals in the cruise so I am not going to be denied entry into the dining room for not having a gown, nor did they turn me away for not having one (just goes to show that it is not mandatory.) Be a realist and realize that some people want to relax on a vacation and want to travel lightly and that a formal night on a cruise is really just for an "experience." Its a throwback to the old days (think Titanic) when people dressed up to show how much they had. It was a socioeconic thing back then. The wealthy dressed up for dinner. Its not necessary now, but it is fun for those who enjoy it.

I think you get better reviews from people who are "virgin" cruisers rather than well cruised people.

Reading peoples reviews where it is compared against another line is not very infomative if you have never been on that same line.

I much prefer reading peoples views on the cruise they experienced & one based on what they experienced rather than comparisons.

I think very cruise has a formal night, so that means cruising would not be right for me? not so. On other cruises I've been on there were at least alternatives for formal night. MSC gives you no alternative except to pay at an alternative dining option. I have already paid for my meals in the cruise so I am not going to be denied entry into the dining room for not having a gown, nor did they turn me away for not having one (just goes to show that it is not mandatory.) Be a realist and realize that some people want to relax on a vacation and want to travel lightly and that a formal night on a cruise is really just for an "experience." Its a throwback to the old days (think Titanic) when people dressed up to show how much they had. It was a socioeconic thing back then. The wealthy dressed up for dinner. Its not necessary now, but it is fun for those who enjoy it.

Please don't think you have to get dressed up like you're going to be on the Hollywood red carpet for the Oscars. Dress like you might for a wedding. And for pretty much the same reason, it shows respect for the occaison.

The Poesia was exceptionally clean, Richard and his entertainment crew were exceptional in getting everyone up and having fun, the shows were fantastic, I think the food left a lot to be desired and as I said in my first post I got very ill along with 2 other people at our dinner table. my husband spoke with others on board and quite a few people had gotten ill.

when I called the medical office he told me he had no complaints and perhaps I ate too much at the gala night - LOL

Its a shame because except for that my husband and I had a wonderful time - However, it seemed that everyone we spoke with at breakfast and lunch had a list of complaints that I thought were unwarrented. Complaints that the ceilings were too low?????

Fortunately the 3 other couples that we had dinner with were experienced travelers so our dinner conversations were always pleasant.

Maybe one day I may give MSC another try.

i took my mom and dad to celebrate their 50th and they have been on 5 cruises....my mom's favorite prior to msc was costa,over carnival, ncl and rccl...mom and dad say msc was their favorite and only complaint they had was the times that no food was available but it didnt hinder them having a great time...

im real sorry for the folks that got sick or didnt enjoy the food..we enjoyed it so much i even posted some pics of it...we only ate the italian stuff though so i dont know if that made a difference....

and loved the shepards pie and the mousalka and curried vegatables on the lunch buffet:cool:

Could some experienced MSC cruisers confirm what has been posted here concerning alternative dining? We too do not bring formal wear, and also like the relaxed option of having dinner in the buffet rather than the MDR or specialy restaurant now and again.

Most cruises we have taken have this flexible option in addition to the regular seating. I would be slightly disappointed if MSC had no options but main dining/specialty dining.

Thanks

Could some experienced MSC cruisers confirm what has been posted here concerning alternative dining? We too do not bring formal wear, and also like the relaxed option of having dinner in the buffet rather than the MDR or specialy restaurant now and again.

Most cruises we have taken have this flexible option in addition to the regular seating. I would be slightly disappointed if MSC had no options but main dining/specialty dining.

Thanks

The buffet is open you can get a hotdog or hamburger there.:confused:

But what's the big deal with a guy bringing a suit (or sport coat) and tie and a lady bringing a reasonably nice dress. You realize you don't have to wear tuxes and floor length gowns don't you?

The buffet is open you can get a hotdog or hamburger there.:confused:

But what's the big deal with a guy bringing a suit (or sport coat) and tie and a lady bringing a reasonably nice dress. You realize you don't have to wear tuxes and floor length gowns don't you?

On Lirica to the Baltics last summer the buffet was only open on those nights that we were in port after the first seating of dinner started. The grill with hamburgers, hot dogs, etc was open in the afternoon but closed by dinner time. I can't comment on what they do in the Caribbean. With airlines charging so much for even the first checked bag it is reasonable to expect that some people will prefer not to bring extra clothes for formal nights. My guess is that this is a trend that will continue as long as baggage fees are increasing.

As sbhdmh says, there is no buffet alternative for dinner on any night on European sailings. Your choice is MDR or speciailty restaurant if the ship has one (only Musica & Fantasia Class do).

The gala nights have a nicer menu so it seems a shame to miss them. Som men just wear a shirt and tie and don't bother with a jacket, some even wear a nice shirt with no tie. Some of the ladies just wear a day dress brightened up with some accesories or even just skirt or pants with a nice top.

Thanks

I was on the Poesia on Jan 9th (7-day Eastern Carib). As for the alternative dining, it was limited but not extremely so. On the 1st night and on the 2 formal/gala nights, they also had the grill open from 6:30 to 8:15 (hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, etc). On the other 4 nights, they had a full casual buffet, also 6:30-8:15. And on all 7 nights, they offer delicious pizza slices (on the starboard side, opposite the buffet). They always had plain cheese, along with 3 other kinds that rotated throughout the night--from pepperoni to mushrooms to eggplant to spinach to basil to canned corn! And the pizza was available starting at 6:30 every night, usually until 10:30pm, but only until 10pm on the first 2 nights, and only until 9pm on the night of the 2nd (fancy) midnight buffet. So (on US/Caribbean sailings) you should definitely be able to find something to eat, even on the nights when you don't go to the dining room.

Unfortunately MSC`s policy on what nights the buffet is open varies from ship to ship, if eating every night at the buffet is the main objective you should consider a different line, Princess offers 24 hr dining & food is great. If entertainment is a priority stay with MSC. You can find negatives & positives with every cruiseline, it depends on whats your priority.

just grabbed the daily program from the gala/formal night and checked dining times.

Dining rooms had their 5:30 and 8pm seatings

Grill -Villa Pompeiana Cafeteria was open 6:30-8:15

Pizza was available in the cafeteria as well from 6:30-9pm

However, The program says: "We inform you that in order to give everyone the oportunity to try the gala menu, the alternative dining buffet will be suspended during the gala nights."

Alternative Dining restaurants were available but you pay for them.

Just look nice and go to the dining room, but don't get the Lobster (unless you like freezer burned over-cooked lobster masked in garlic butter) . You do not have to get all formal for this. Enjoy your vacation.

I was on the Poesia on Jan 9th (7-day Eastern Carib). As for the alternative dining, it was limited but not extremely so. On the 1st night and on the 2 formal/gala nights, they also had the grill open from 6:30 to 8:15 (hot dogs, hamburgers, fries, etc). On the other 4 nights, they had a full casual buffet, also 6:30-8:15. And on all 7 nights, they offer delicious pizza slices (on the starboard side, opposite the buffet). They always had plain cheese, along with 3 other kinds that rotated throughout the night--from pepperoni to mushrooms to eggplant to spinach to basil to canned corn! And the pizza was available starting at 6:30 every night, usually until 10:30pm, but only until 10pm on the first 2 nights, and only until 9pm on the night of the 2nd (fancy) midnight buffet. So (on US/Caribbean sailings) you should definitely be able to find something to eat, even on the nights when you don't go to the dining room.

Thanks for the response. We occasionally like to have an option of lighter, quicker eating that a huge sit-down meal in the evening.

Archived