Sleep with a fan at home - on cruise?

chitownGib

You can contact the special needs dept and request a fan. That way you don't have to bring one with you. The pursers desk has extension cords too! ;)

Count me among the ones who loves having a fan to sleep and found out the above information when I first traveled with my Mom who needed a fan due to breathing problems with high humidity. I am sure that if you ask and they have them available you can make arrangements to have one brought to your room!

Wish I had read this yesterday! lol.

I found a small fan at Walgreens yesterday. It was only 9.99. and is pretty light weight.Probably no more heavier than my regular size hair dryer. We camp too,so having that fan will work for more than just the cruise.

To the light sleeping Mama's, I FEEL YA! I understand about sleeping with one eye open! Plus my DH works nights,so Im here with just the kids. I say I sleep with both eyes open. DH came home sick the other night,and I KNEW when he walked in the door. Didnt stop me from grabbing my pistol though. Just in case. When I was a teenager, I slept with an AC in my room,and the radio on too.Not loud,but enough. PLUS,my sister talked in her sleep,so it covered up that too. Guess noise is now a habit. I dont sleep good out in the country, b/c its too quiet. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a small fan I purchased at Wal-Mart. I get motion sickness and I also sleep w/a fan. This is dual powered by battery and ac/dc. I take it everywhere. I did have some problems going through security at the airport. Just allow some extra time :D It is a live saver, kept me from blowing chunks on the airplane where there is NEVER enough air.

• 1 month later...

We have a fan going 24/7 all year in our bedroom too. I always miss it like crazy when we stay at hotels.

I attend a pain clinic because of chronic pain and the Doctors there have actually said hospitals are using white noise to treat pain patients effectively. It is a way of relaxing and distracting the brain so that less drugs are required. I thought that was cool!

I'll be looking for a mini one to plug in a cruise cabin now!;)

I have a non-cruising related question for this thread! For those of you who use white noise machines at home...do they really work? Have you used them to drown out sounds...such as snoring, dogs, etc? I am thinking about purchasing one but don't want to waste $50 if they don't really work....

If you are a light sleeper, this is the ideal purchase. I've used a white noise machine for years and I take it everywhere with me. It does help drown out a partner's snoring, barking dogs, etc. I'm tellin ya, it goes wherever I go. I have to replace mine every 4-5 years. I soooo hope the stores never stop selling them. :eek:

• 1 month later...

I don't have this problem, thank heaven! Actually, if I DO turn on a fan in the summertime, it takes several nights before the noise stops bothering me. But on the topic at hand, don't the bathrooms on most cruise ships have a fan, and couldn't you just leave that on for the noise you require?

Our little vent ac makes a great little noise ---- but it wasn't enough to cover up the sound of people coming and going in the hall way - and doors shutting. ( Yes - I agree - since I became a mom - the fan can go off at night - and I am wide a wake! )

So anyway - thank goodness I decided to bring my noise maker with me last year. I kept it on white noise - and turned the a/c vent wide open. I slept like a baby!! Even with the ship rocking and rollin thru a storm.

Archived