Kauii - Port Missed?? How often?

glrydays

Does the POA have to miss kauii frequently due to weather? Is it a tendered port? We are booking a helicopter flight - with the ship it is $160 more, but if they have to cancel we are covered...worth the risk to book with the company and save the $160??

Does the POA have to miss kauii frequently due to weather? Is it a tendered port? We are booking a helicopter flight - with the ship it is $160 more, but if they have to cancel we are covered...worth the risk to book with the company and save the $160??

Wow that is a big difference. Is it an comparable trip. I have found ship excursions to be a little more expensive, but not that much more. Of course, I have not been to Hawaii yet. I hope this will not be the case for most excursions. I like independent as long as I have plenty of time to spare after the excursion.

Well - we always go private too - in this case they use the same company ( Blue Hawaii) . NCL is $80 pp more expensive. Only difference is, privately, you have to give 24 hours notice - with the cruiseline, if the tour is cancelled, you are covered.

• 1 month later...

We weren't on POA, but Golden Princess in February 2009, and yes, we missed the port due to windy weather. We were very disappointed since we had a rental car reserved and had the day planned out. They just circled the island, I guess showing us what we were missing :-)!!!

We booked with Island Helicopters. I had to provide a credit card number, but they don't charge it until the day of our flight. We will not be charged if the ship misses the port. They were $178 for the kauai grand tour if it is booked on the internet.

http://www.islandhelicopters.com/ This is the best price I have found!!

Getting into the port @ Nawiliwili could be tricky if the winds or the seas are uncooperative, so I could understand that there are times when it just would not be safe to attempt it. The route through the channel involves a couple of turns for the ship that amaze me each time we successfully navigate them. To me it's worth staying out on my balcony enjoying the scenery and watching our progress into the port.

Thank goodness for experienced Harbor Pilots and ship's Captains.

We also did Island Helicopters. Besides the lower price if you pay cash using the internet special mentioned above, they will pick you up and return you to the pier. As a matter of fact I asked to be let off at the ABC store near the pier (so I'd be on the right side of the street I went with them to the ship then I alone with the driver went to ABC). No problem. I do not think the other helicopter tours provide pier to airport transportation. Also, forget the idea of taking a rental car bus to the airport. The helicopter offices are not near the main airport, plus they probably will not let you on the Avis, Thrifty etc. buses due to congestion.

Also, do not wear shorts on the helicopter. Your legs will get cold. Also, wear dark colors so your photos will not have reflections in them.

You can buy a DVD of a flight (not your own, but the best of stock footage). They were currently out of stock when I was there so I got a $2 VCR tape!

Archived