Tampa or New Orleans in August. Hurricanes??

familycruzer

I am still debating on switching my cruise from one that leaves from Jacksonville to either one from Tampa or New Orleans.

The cruise has to be mid August during hurricane season.

My question, if there is a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico where can the ships go since there is no other way to the Carribean? Do they get delayed, cancelled, or is it just a real rough ride south?

I am going Aug 21 out of NO; don't really care about hurricanes; Went on cruise out of Tampa In October and there was a hurricane out of Florida; and guess what, we were going to Cayman and felt the debris from that; which they said we wouldn;t

• 3 weeks later...
I am still debating on switching my cruise from one that leaves from Jacksonville to either one from Tampa or New Orleans.

The cruise has to be mid August during hurricane season.

My question, if there is a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico where can the ships go since there is no other way to the Carribean? Do they get delayed, cancelled, or is it just a real rough ride south?

Hi cruzer,

If you're worried about a hurricane you should keep in mind that the distance between NO and Tampa is not that great. So if a hurricane comes in the Gulf of Mexico it will probable affect one or the other or maybe both. But heck there are hurricanes on the East Coast of Florida also. In other words, don't worry about a little wind. :D The ship will go around it. At worst, it'll stop at different places than what you first picked out.

There is no comparison between Tampa and New Orleans. I say this having lived, worked and raised a family for a number of years in both.

If you will be staying a couple of days pre or post cruise then New Orleans wins hands down. Better food, music, history, ambiance, many more sights and things to do. However, if you didn't get enough beach time on your cruise, then the Tampa Bay area is the ticket.

Hope this helps.

Jorge

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if you have been to new orleans before ,but if you haven't it a must do. the food is wonderful the french quarter delightful. as a matter of fact we are taking our sons for a college graduation weekend this spring. there are still a few things we did not get to do that hopefully we will get to do then.

Archived