Snorkeling or Snuba - Cozumel

nimbupani

We need help in deciding which one to go for in Cozumel.Please help us build this matrix, so that we can take educated decision

Snorkeling Snuba Scuba

Experience required

Depth

Best acquatic life in Cozumel

Tour provider recommendation

About us: Couple in 25-30 age grp, first time cruising. Will be reaching cozumel at 1PM EST

Thanks

Ok here we go. I hope this will help.

Snorkel- This is probably the easiest to do.IMO Some tours give you a vest to use and some don't. Obviously you can swim around and see somethings from the surface, but if you dive from the surface you are limited by how deep you dive and how long you can hold your breath.

Snuba- This is the combination of both. Again not much experienced needed. You breathe from a regulator that is attached to and air hose(obviously) and that air hose is attached to an air tank that is floating at the surface. How deep you go depends on 2 things. The length of the air hose and where your group is. If you don't know, you will be part of agroup of people that are breathing from the same air tank as you. I think average length of an air hose 10 - 20 ft.

Scuba-This, you do have to have some experience. Now when and if you take an intro class, you will get some info you have to be wary of. They will explain it to you. The class is like 20 to 30 mins and then you go diving. It won't be a long dive because of the class you have to take.

Now when you actuall y dive, oyu will probably get hooked on it. You will see alot at say 40 to 50 feet down. Cozumel has a current around it, so visibility is AMAZING.

As far as operators, Cozumel has alot. Ships use Sand Dollar sports. I will admit I like them. You will read that most people don't like them, because of the cattle boat diving. I have yet to havea bad expereince with them though.

I check the board alot so, if I can answer anymore of your questions, please ask.

Ok here we go. I hope this will help.

Snorkel- This is probably the easiest to do.IMO Some tours give you a vest to use and some don't. Obviously you can swim around and see somethings from the surface, but if you dive from the surface you are limited by how deep you dive and how long you can hold your breath.

Snuba- This is the combination of both. Again not much experienced needed. You breathe from a regulator that is attached to and air hose(obviously) and that air hose is attached to an air tank that is floating at the surface. How deep you go depends on 2 things. The length of the air hose and where your group is. If you don't know, you will be part of agroup of people that are breathing from the same air tank as you. I think average length of an air hose 10 - 20 ft.

Scuba-This, you do have to have some experience. Now when and if you take an intro class, you will get some info you have to be wary of. They will explain it to you. The class is like 20 to 30 mins and then you go diving. It won't be a long dive because of the class you have to take.

Now when you actuall y dive, oyu will probably get hooked on it. You will see alot at say 40 to 50 feet down. Cozumel has a current around it, so visibility is AMAZING.

As far as operators, Cozumel has alot. Ships use Sand Dollar sports. I will admit I like them. You will read that most people don't like them, because of the cattle boat diving. I have yet to havea bad expereince with them though.

I check the board alot so, if I can answer anymore of your questions, please ask.

Thanks appreciate your response. I think we will take Snuba.. do you actually see life as they have in photos? and if it rains will they have snuba excursion.

Thanks again

You WILL see fish and other things. I just can't say how much or where you will be going to snuba. Never done it, since I'm certified. What i will say is that it will be like you swimming in clear water. It is AMAZING. You are going to love it!!!

• 3 weeks later...
We need help in deciding which one to go for in Cozumel.Please help us build this matrix, so that we can take educated decision

Snorkeling Snuba Scuba

Experience required

Depth

Best acquatic life in Cozumel

Tour provider recommendation

About us: Couple in 25-30 age grp, first time cruising. Will be reaching cozumel at 1PM EST

Thanks

When we were in Cozumel, my son and I did SNUBA, but got some snorkeling in as well. The boat went to three different reefs. At each reef, one third of the boat did SNUBA and the other two thirds could snorkel, so you get the best of both worlds. I loved SNUBA, and it gave me the impetus to get SCUBA certified. That's the next step up and opens up a whole new underwater world.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the idea of being able to snuba and snorkel on one trip, because I want to snorkel and my son wants to snuba. Could you tell me who you went with in Cozumel? What kind of boat did they have? What time did you leave? How much and any other info would be appreciated. thanks:)

I like the idea of being able to snuba and snorkel on one trip, because I want to snorkel and my son wants to snuba. Could you tell me who you went with in Cozumel? What kind of boat did they have? What time did you leave? How much and any other info would be appreciated. thanks:)

We went with Gary Hillson, but his outfit got wiped out in the hurricane a few years ago. He's with a scuba shop now, Blue Cozumel, I think. But you should be able to google snuba & cozumel and get some good hits. Have a great time.

Archived