Getting off at Port...

Reggy

After lurking for some time, we are close to booking our first cruise. When getting off the ship at various ports, because of security, etc., how long does it take? Is it a longer wait getting back on or getting off?

Do they check what you are bringing back on to the ship?

Thanks in advance!

Usually getting off the ship is a little slower than getting back on. This is especially true when one has to tender in as opposed to having the ship dock. When at port . . . everyone wants to get off at around the same time so it can take up to thirty minutes (but usually a lot less). Ports where you tender? Depends on if you booked a tour through the cruiseline . . . they are first off and then they call various colors for those with color coded passes (at least that's how they did it on Celebrity in 2003). Getting back on the ship is a lot faster because everyone comes back at different times. Security includes showing you cruise card and another form of identification with a picture (such as a driver's license or passport). On Celebrity, they fed your cruise card through a little machine where it pops up as you show your pictured ID and walk through an xray secruity machine (like the ones at the airport).

I make it a policy not to try to be one of the first ones off at any port. I get another cuppa coffee and sit on Lido Deck and watch the hordes of folks getting off. After about 45 minutes, it's pretty much cleared out, and then I leave. As said above, getting back on the ship is much less time consuming.

On Carnival, for instance, all you have to do when returning to the ship is pop your S&S card into the machine. Your packages may be looked into - sometimes not. If you have liquor, it will be taken and stored for you until debarkation. Sometimes, if they're really busy, you can walk through without your packages being checked.:)

Just back from the Golden and never had any wait getting on or off at port (we didn't have to tender at any port). They do XRay your bags when you get back on the ship and you show your cruise card leaving and returning. The only problem I ever had was making the right turn out of my cabin door to find the gangplank (had a problem with aft and bow when docked):D !

Celebrity does xray your bags when you get back on the ship & you go thru entry device similiar to those at airports. If I can get back on a Carnival ship without myself or my belongings xrayed, I am not sure I ever want to sail Carnival. Remember the woman who is still missing from the Carnival ship from about a month ago. Blood & her handbag were found on a deck, but not her. You never know who is on a ship, or what they are bringing on board. In this day & age security has to be at a premium.

Archived