Snorkeling with young kids

fleetingfam

When we go on our cruise we are wanting to do something fun with our kids besides just going to the beach, they are 5 and 7. We found a glass bottom boat and snorkeling tour through http://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/ - has anyone gone on this or booked a excursion through this company?

Also, they say that the snorkeling is good for non-swimmers and unexperienced swimmers and that they provide the vests but every other company wants you to be at least 8. Is snorkeling really okay with a 5 and 7 year old and will the vests really help them out? thanks

Is snorkeling good?????

IT IS GREAT! Your boys will love it.

If they wont take them on the cruise tours because of the ages. Google dive shops in the ports you are visiting and book a private tour, or just do some shore snorkeling.

Just some thoughts:

• Buy them a snorkel set before you leave so they can "practice" in the bath tub.

• Cut their bangs so the hair stays out of their masks.

• Remember salt water is more boyant so once they relax and start floating with their faces in the water they can be dragged along by the hand. My 5 year old wore a floaty suit. like a one piece womans suit with foam sewn inside.

& "Don't feed the fish! You're not their Mother"

Take a look here; http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Caribbean/Cozumel/index.htm

Read the decriptions of the "dives" they will mention which ones are good snorkeling sites. Then it is just a taxi ride away if you can't find an excution that will take your kids. My boys were 5 & 7 when they snorkeled in Aruba. They loved it, and still do. Just take it easy and BREATH! LOL:D

I found an excursion away from Carnival that will let them go snorkeling just didn't know how good it was for at least my 5 year old to go. Its good to hear yours went at that same age though gives me more comfort knowing she shouldn't have a problem!

• 4 weeks later...

To get the best out of this experience be sure to have your kids practice with the mask and snorkle, before you go, in an indoor pool or the tub. It is a new and strange experience to have a mask strapped on your face and to have to breathe through your mouth. It is much better for the kids to get familiar with the equipment and breathing through the snorkle in fresh water, since swallowing a little salt water or getting salt water in their eyes can kill the whole excursion. (Been there, seen that) As can a mask that is too tight, or hair getting caught in the strap, etc. etc.

Yep, definately want to practice. I've been snorkeling before but this was a first for DD 10 and DS 6. We have a pool (find a gym or YMCA near you if needed) and got our snorkel gear last summer. It was amazing to watch all the various family members try it for the first time. It really took their breath away. I recommended to most to just bend over at the waist, breath a few times, then put legs up into float position once you're relaxed. Also, when actually snorkeling with fins on, you want to float, then swim with arms only a few strokes then begin kicking (my DD got kicked in the face) so others around you will have time to react to your positioning or tap on you if you're too close. DS mostly rode on my back or legs and looked around. DD got tired on one of our two snorkel trips and rode along for awhile as well.

As a mom, I was unwilling to leave my children's safety in open water up to complete strangers. I packed them each a full life jacket, sized perfectly for their weight. I clipped it to the outside of the duffle bag we carried with towels and snorkel gear (each kid had there own that they had practiced with, that I could keep sized to their face, and that had an anti-water entering system at the tip--the snorkel gear provided by the tour was just open cylinders at the end but like I said before I was more experienced and as an adult strong-swimmer could better handle water entering the tube).

One tour we took dropped us off at the reef by boat but was still work, DS gave up about 3/4 the way into the snorkeling time and went back up on the boat. The other tour left from shore and we were warned was 1200 meters of swimming. The group left shore and swam to the first of three anchored platforms leading to the reef. We regrouped at each one, but lost about 30% of the group by the first one. My DH stayed on the beach with DS for this one as we knew it would be more difficult. Another family tried to take their 5 yo, but they quickly dropped out as it became apparent how much work it would be to get the kid along too. Previous snorkel experience was with beach snorkeling where you just walk out and start floating. For non-swimmers they could literally go out bend at the waist and have a look around at sea urchins, fish, lots of plants, etc. So, I guess it will really depend on where you're planning to go.

Hope this helps.

Our boys went the first time at 6 and 8. Both enjoyed it - for a while, then wanted out and that was cool. Each time we've done it again, they've been more comfortable and lasted longer. Just don't expect TOO much or try to force it if they're not comfortable.

Waves seem to be a significant factor too. The calmer the water, the easier it is for them. Maybe look for the most protected sites for their first trip.

And I second (or third) the idea of practicing in a pool or tub or lake or wherever you can before going.

We went on a glass bottom boat/snorkeling excursion through Carnival last year (don't know if they offer the same one this year). My kids were 9 & 11 at the time. the one offered by Carnival was okay but nothing special. We didn't see any real cool fish or corral. A lot of gray/browish looking fish. Nothing like I was hoping to see. On this excursion, we started off from the beach, got on the glass bottomed boat & paddled around the beach for a while then we switched out to the snorkel gear. We again entered the water from the beach. I noticed that it did take the kids some getting used to - to use the snorkel equipment. A few times they got water in their tubes & didn't like it much. also while we had the life vests on, the kids seemed to want a little more in terms of a floating device. The guide had an innertube type thing & the kids seemed to want to stay with that. I was constantly keeping tabs on where they were so it wasn't as relaxing for me. It gets a little worrisome when you're in water over your head (as we had to swim out a ways from the beach) & when there are waves. I asked my older son if he wanted to snorkel again this cruise & he wasn't that excited by it (but again I think it was this one experience - it was kind of boring without pretty fish, etc to see)

It looks like from the website you posted that the excursion you are looking at is much nicer. I would caution that there is a different feeling between open water off a boat vs close to shore. You may have better luck with seeing colorful fish. I bet if you saw some cool fish, turtles, etc then the kids would forget that the snorkel equip felt weird.

Archived