Bringing on liquor in San Juan update

cuccicruisers

We are back a week from the Carnival Victory. I sailed the same cruise last year. I wanted to give a heads up that it appears Carnival is stepping up its efforts to keep liquor and beer from being carried on during embarkation.

Last time we stuck it in our carry-on and walked right on after they were x-rayed. This time they x-rayed the bag and held it until I came through. They then asked whose bag it was...searched it and then placed a light blue plastic zip tie on my carry-on. They advised I had to turn it in as it was a bottle of vodka and tequila. I was allowed to bring on out Diet Pepsi and Capri Suns for the kids. We later carried on a bottle of champagne for mimosas.

Early in the week they were not checking rolled towels being carried through. By the end they were putting everything thru the scanner and even my kids had to take their hats off and show there was nothing under them.

Maybe this was just us but it was definately more strict than last year.

Thanks for the update. Did you bring your champagne through when you came on board or did you get off and then bring it on? I'd like to bring champagne for mimosas too, but will be coming directly from the plane and will not be carrying anything like that in my carryon. I had thought about stopping at a grocery store on the way for some diet cokes (which I can't live without) and maybe pick up some wine or champagne then, but if we don't get a chance, I'd like to know if I can leave the ship and bring it on then. How was your trip?

You're allowed 2 bottles of wine. Bubbly is wine in my book.

Each adult is allowed 1 bottle of wine:

From Carnival's site:

Guests are prohibited from bringing alcoholic beverages onboard. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring on board one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage.

You should be able to buy some bubbly in the tax free liquor store in the cruise terminal. Not sure if they had Coke or not - we bought our own at a local market.

Thanks for the update. Did you bring your champagne through when you came on board or did you get off and then bring it on? I'd like to bring champagne for mimosas too, but will be coming directly from the plane and will not be carrying anything like that in my carryon. I had thought about stopping at a grocery store on the way for some diet cokes (which I can't live without) and maybe pick up some wine or champagne then, but if we don't get a chance, I'd like to know if I can leave the ship and bring it on then. How was your trip?

we got off and visited the bacardi factory and then when returning purchased the bottle of champagne...it seemed they were looking for hard liquor and beer. our friends also bought wine right there as you walked on...that is ok as per their policy. some of the people we were with had purchased rum in the factory and walked on with that.

you can also buy soda right there before you get on but is a little pricey...i think it was 5.99 for a six pack. there is a cvs right up the street that may get you more bang for your buck.

trip was fantastic...hope you have a fabulous time. our highlight was a day trip in st. maarten w/ capatain alan. it was a week ago today....sigh.

we got off and visited the bacardi factory and then when returning purchased the bottle of champagne...it seemed they were looking for hard liquor and beer. our friends also bought wine right there as you walked on...that is ok as per their policy. some of the people we were with had purchased rum in the factory and walked on with that.

you can also buy soda right there before you get on but is a little pricey...i think it was 5.99 for a six pack. there is a cvs right up the street that may get you more bang for your buck.

trip was fantastic...hope you have a fabulous time. our highlight was a day trip in st. maarten w/ capatain alan. it was a week ago today....sigh.

Thanks so much for the info. We are snowed in here in Virginia - 12-14 inches at my house and they are calling for it next weekend too. I'm really hoping the plane will leave on time Sunday and wish we had planned to go earlier. I'm nervous!!! All I can think about is that next week at this time I'll be on the ship with some kind of boat drink in my hand!! :-) Oops sorry - not trying to rub it in. I'll be feeling your pain soon enough!!

Thanks so much for the info. We are snowed in here in Virginia - 12-14 inches at my house and they are calling for it next weekend too. I'm really hoping the plane will leave on time Sunday and wish we had planned to go earlier. I'm nervous!!! All I can think about is that next week at this time I'll be on the ship with some kind of boat drink in my hand!! :-) Oops sorry - not trying to rub it in. I'll be feeling your pain soon enough!!

have a great time...the trip will fly by so make sure you plan a little down time.

we are so bummed its over....and to add insult to injury our family has come down with a stomach virus since mid last week. my turn now which is why i am on here at 3:30 am. yuck :)

just got off of the victory yesterday :( - it's true about brining on liquor in san juan - they give you a bracelet if you have it in your check in then take it before boarding -save yourself mysery and check it in your luggage and hand it to the porter - all other ports - travelled with sil and bro - they bought beer in each port and got on ship with no problem in carry on. will post a full review later with pics just wanted to restate san juan was the only port where we had any problems.

• 2 weeks later...
just got off of the victory yesterday :( - it's true about brining on liquor in san juan - they give you a bracelet if you have it in your check in then take it before boarding -save yourself mysery and check it in your luggage and hand it to the porter - all other ports - travelled with sil and bro - they bought beer in each port and got on ship with no problem in carry on. will post a full review later with pics just wanted to restate san juan was the only port where we had any problems.

I read on other trip reports that people bought liquor at the duty free and carried that on. I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to. Is buying in duty free and carrying on still an option?

I read on other trip reports that people bought liquor at the duty free and carried that on. I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to. Is buying in duty free and carrying on still an option?

We had no issues bringing on liquor in San Juan.... my friend and I brought 2x750ml bottles in, put them in our carry ons, and walked right past the liquor table.... and my boyfriend brought on 2x1L of rum, but he chose to check them in as he bought them to bring home

sil bought bottle of baileys at duty free in san juan put it in her carry on - given the braclet - the baileys was conficated - prior to boarding. after dropping off our bags we went back into town - bought beer - put it in checked bag, which was delivered to her stateroom. we only bought beer in each port - put in carry on - had no further problems.

We had no issues bringing on liquor in San Juan.... my friend and I brought 2x750ml bottles in, put them in our carry ons, and walked right past the liquor table.... and my boyfriend brought on 2x1L of rum, but he chose to check them in as he bought them to bring home

When did you go?

the new rule just Started Feb 1st.

We were there Feb 1. It was a port stop for us, not sure if that makes a difference in terms of security but I doubt it.

I also purposely left a medium sized bottle of Listerine in my carryon when we embarked in Fort Lauderdale to see if they would try and open it up (it was still sealed) - the guy scanning our bags didn't even blink! And just in case he didn't notice it via the x-ray machine, my bag fell over and the contents fell out, and he helped me put them back in the bag!

We were there Feb 1. It was a port stop for us, not sure if that makes a difference in terms of security but I doubt it.

I also purposely left a medium sized bottle of Listerine in my carryon when we embarked in Fort Lauderdale to see if they would try and open it up (it was still sealed) - the guy scanning our bags didn't even blink! And just in case he didn't notice it via the x-ray machine, my bag fell over and the contents fell out, and he helped me put them back in the bag!

When it is a port stop do your bags go through the x-ray in the terminal or on the ship?

Archived