Too Formal?!

Thank goodness i found this site! Any help would be LOVED! Im 16 and about to go on my second cruise, and last time for formal night i felt too dressed down and for homecoming this year i bought this BEAUTIFUL deep red, strapless, corset top knee length dress. The corset had like diamond looking things on it and the skirt is like layerd, kind of like...umm...fairy skirtish (its the best way to describe it!) I wasnt sure if it would be too dressy for formal night? What do you think? I NEED THE HELP! PLEASE!

Thanks

Go for it Honey . . . you're dress sounds absolutely beautiful and will be perfect for a formal night. Sorry about the "honey" but as the mother of a an only child (a twenty-seven year old son) . . . I would have loved to have had a daughter (or at this point in my life - a granddaughter) to share the excitment of prom dresses and formals. There is not a lot one can do with a tux. Tee Hee . . . .

Thank goodness i found this site! Any help would be LOVED! Im 16 and about to go on my second cruise, and last time for formal night i felt too dressed down and for homecoming this year i bought this BEAUTIFUL deep red, strapless, corset top knee length dress. The corset had like diamond looking things on it and the skirt is like layerd, kind of like...umm...fairy skirtish (its the best way to describe it!) I wasnt sure if it would be too dressy for formal night? What do you think? I NEED THE HELP! PLEASE!

Thanks

You can NEVER be too dressy for formal night! You will look stunning. :D

My 17 year old and I are cruising in May and she is wearing one of her old prom dresses that my mother altered to tea length for one of the formal nights. I think as long as it's age appropriate, you are going to look fabulous!! Happy cruising!

-Steph

Any time you can get a formal dress you like and it's 75 percent off - most of us females will tell you to go for it.

When you asked about purchasing other sun dresses or similar dresses to wear to dinner on semi-formal or other cruise nights I was going to suggest you look for a black sleveless dress often referred to as a ``little black dress.''

Have one myself and enjoy it since it takes little space to pack and can be dressed up with jewelry or a colored scarf or shawl and can stand on its own when I don't need to dress it up.

Let us know what you're deciding as you put your wardrobe together. For some of us female cruisers here, this is exciting. Love to hear from your generation and know we learn a few tricks or two on our own wardrobe from you.

Dianne

I think im goin to go look for a "little Black dress" somewhere. Where? i dont know, hahaha. but i think i have my 2 formal dresses (the purple and the red one) although im not entirely sure if the halter is "formal" enough, its knee length, cotton and a halter. itll probably be OK but if i can find a black dress ill save the purple one for another night :p

Your dress sounds lovely, and so fun. You will have a wonderful time. And it is fun to dress up on formal night. I hope you have a great cruise.

I agree with the little black dress idea, it is a great piece to have in your wardrobe. But your purple halter dress sounds cute and fun to accessorize also. Have fun. :)

Cori

i know this isnt a fashion question, but i didnt know where else would be a good place to ask it. were going on RCI for the first time in march, we sailed on Carnival last time and had a blast. But my cheer coach just got back from an RCI cruise and said it was moslty like middle aged couples. Not that i have a problem with that, i was just hoping there would be more kids like in thier teens. does anyone sail RCI frequently and would know if its more families or middle aged couples? just thought id ask, thanks!

I think the age bracket on a cruise really depends alot on where you are going too, is it the Caribbean? If so I think you will find others on the cruise your age. Some cruises that are longer and are during school session are mostly older people , but if it is not during school and a Caribbean or Mexican Rivera cruise then I think you will be fine. I hope you have a great time.

Cori

I think the age bracket on a cruise really depends alot on where you are going too, is it the Caribbean? If so I think you will find others on the cruise your age. Some cruises that are longer and are during school session are mostly older people , but if it is not during school and a Caribbean or Mexican Rivera cruise then I think you will be fine. I hope you have a great time.

Cori

Cori has a good point. It seems to me that young women (ages 15-25) are the ones that go all out on formal night. I love it myself. They look so beautiful-it is wonderful to see. Hey if I still looked good I would do it myself. You will fit right in with your age.

I still "dress" for formal night but I am wearing more like "mother of the bride" type gowns or the more mature, age approiate, "little black dress"- but only because that is what I look decent in. I am 50 and I have noticed most women my age go more for what I call "church wear"-you know what your grandma would pick for Easter Sunday.

But even if you are going on a line like HAL-I feel different from Cori-go ahead and wear the dress-you are young-look young. Ofcourse you may give some of those great-grandpa's a heart attack-(LOL) but heck I am sure they will enjoy it-huh?

We have sailed RCCL and the formal nights were wonderful. On the first formal night they will have a Captains Reception. Waitstaff will serve champagne. Everyne will be dressed. Men in suits and tuxes. Women in gowns. I did pay special attention to the teens. Many wore their prom gowns(all colors) coctail dresses anf tea length gowns. We are leaving on the Grandeur of the seas on Feb. 5th. My daughter picked up a georgeous gown at an after prom sale. It is 2 shades of blue and some white. It also has sparkles through out. It also has one strap across the shoulder. (hard to explain) but she looks stunning in it. We only paid $12.00 for it and it was $98.00 to start. She also found a very tropical tea length dress and a little black dress at a consignment store. You may want to check out the consignment stores too. They are getting rid of all their evening wear right now and other than a heavy velvet moat gowns are non seasonal. They also have probably only been worn once.

You are going to have so much fun. Be yourself and have a ball.

As far as other teens. I'm sure there will be plenty and the teen program on RCCL is great! It's not like summer camp. You can come and go as you please. I understand that your age group has a Toga Party and Hot Tub Partys. They also have on the voyager ships a teen only club.

Enjoy and rtake lots of pics to make your friends envious LOL

Don't worry....there will be plenty of kids your age on Royal Carribean. Remember, you are sailing in March , which is during the "spring break" period...you'll have a BLAST.

We are also sailing (March 6th) on RC's Mariner of the Seas...with 3 "youngsters" age 20,19 and 18. I know they will have a great time and hope you do too.

And BTW, they will ALL be in former prom gowns on formal night.

Don't worry....there will be plenty of kids your age on Royal Carribean. Remember, you are sailing in March , which is during the "spring break" period...you'll have a BLAST.

We are also sailing (March 6th) on RC's Mariner of the Seas...with 3 "youngsters" age 20,19 and 18. I know they will have a great time and hope you do too.

And BTW, they will ALL be in former prom gowns on formal night.

I also have a "youngster" who is 20. she would kill me though if she read this post that she is a "youngster." I bet your 3 would too be shocked.

I did not realize the young woman was going on RCCL-somehow I missed that. There are plenty of young people on that line so she has no worries about her dress. Heck as I said even on my Princess cruise the few young ones still went all out on formal night.-at least the girls did. My daughter still wore a beautiful sparkly coctail dress on HAL and she looked very beautiful and did not look out of place at all to me-just young.

This past fall we did a mini cruise on Disney Wonder. There was no formal night but we did go to Palo's so we "dressed" for that. My daughter wore a sparkly top and a long taffeta skirt that night. She got tons of compliments from people-including a cute little steward who told her she looked like a "princess" in his broken english. I thought that was really sweet of him-especially as we saw quite a few younger "princesses" on that cruise-little girls dressed as Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Belle, and so on. My daughter said she wished we had done this cruise 10 years ago- she could have been a little princess herself. She said this earlier in the cruise and then the young steward told her she looked like a princess. I had to laugh-I told her she got her wish after all.

Hey I think that is a desire most of us have-to be beautiful for one night-so I do beleive you young women-all of you should go for it.

I like your message about the fairy dress. We just bought one for my daughter today for the cruise. It is almost to her ankles, hot pinkish, kind of full. She is l6. She doesn't want to wear it to prom since this is her first prom and I don't think she wants to wear anything "different". We got this dress of a huge clearance today for $24 and her vice versa dress for $12 on the same clearance. She may wear her vice verse dress one of the nights also. Now last year we got her a pink sparkly long dress that she wore on the cruise. In fact she may wear it to prom this year (noone has seen it except in pictures). Only the cruise people saw it. She also has a peach formal that she wore on her first cruise two years ago. All of these were brought at clearance sales.

Now for shoes. If you have a Charlotte Russe store in your town, they have dressy shoes for $7. She got a pink pair to go with her vice versa dress.

Have fun. I love watching all the girls in their frilly dresses. They look so cute.

Chilly,

I'm 20 (21 in August) and I'm wearing my senior prom dress for the formal night. It's a long, bright pink dress (2 pieces actually) made of lighter material. I got it for less than a hundred dollars and I can't wait to wear it again. I think the red dress will be beautiful! I found an emerald green dress at Younker's a month ago and thought it would be perfect. However, I'm cheap and refuse to spend 200 dollars on a dress!

Chilly,

I'm 20 (21 in August) and I'm wearing my senior prom dress for the formal night. It's a long, bright pink dress (2 pieces actually) made of lighter material. I got it for less than a hundred dollars and I can't wait to wear it again. I think the red dress will be beautiful! I found an emerald green dress at Younker's a month ago and thought it would be perfect. However, I'm cheap and refuse to spend 200 dollars on a dress!

You sound like a smart cookie to me. I bet your folks are proud of you. Pink is so in right now too- so you will look great. If you shop around too I bet you can find some nice pink ice jewelry. I just bought my daughter a butterfly pin-brooch, pink pave cz's set in sterling silver-on clearance for $6.25 at Dillards. Something like that too could be put on a ribbon and worn as a choker if you aren't into brooches. Take a look maybe you can find something like that too.

I also saw plenty of the shoulder sweeping earrings in pink. The ones my daughter liked best were pink austrain crystal briolettes set in sterling that we found at Parisian. They were $15 I think-a little more then the brooch but my daughter loved them.

Thank you!:) My mom and grandma are coming up tomorrow and one thing that I'm looking for before I go is a good pair of earrings with matching studs (I have two holes in each ear) and a big cheap cocktail ring. As far as necklaces go I'm set! My grandma loves jewelry and as a result, I have more necklaces than I need, including a silver one that will look great!

Archived