Too Formal?!

I'm 17, I'll be 18 in march, so I'll give you my perspective: I can exactly picture your dress and it sounds really cute, and exactly right for formal night.And your purple dress should be fine too... sometimes (unfortunately) you see people on formal night in clothes more casual than I'd wear to a casual night. Besides, the only comments I've ever heard about clothes were people whispering about the people that walked in with shorts and flip-flops on, or on how amazing the women dressed to the nines looked.

My favorite cruise dress is one that can be either smart casual (a night in betweenformal and casual) if worn alone, or formal if accessorized. It's matte black jersey, so its fabulous because it never wrinkles. (I have enough wrinkles to deal with when I pack my silk skirt that I love too much and so suck up the price of having the ship press it)

Seems to me this thread proves that teen girls need a posting place of their own where they can ask other teens about formal, casual or whatever styles for cruise fashions.

We moms and grandmas can give our advice, but teens and those just past their teen years know best about teen fashions.

Bethwte, Ehpride and ChillyMichigangirl, you have all helped each other through this thread and as a 57-yr-old mother who raised 2 daughters, I have to hand it to you girls (young women if you prefer) -- you've all got it together.

Dianne

Sale last year at macys... they tend to have some good "younger" formalwear on sale most of the time. (Especially if you shop online, since there is more of a selection)

And thank you so much for the compliment 98Charlie. :)

ok, heres another question for you ladies (by the way i LOVE all this information! haha, its great, my mom thinks its hilarious theres a whole forum on crusie fashions... but thats another story)

i was cleaning out my closet the other day (big job lol...) and i found my xmas eve outfit from this xmas. i totally forgot i had it. its a short black skirt with silk over it thats longer and the hem is uneven and i wore it with a black top that had a broach on the v-neck thats really pretty. could i wear this for one of the formal nights? OH and that reminds me, should i save my red dress for the last formal night or bring it out on the first? i read somewhere on here you should save your roomiest dress for the last formal night (i can see why though) but they both fit the same...so which night would be more formal?

thanks! :cool:

I used to save my better outfits for the last night, thinking "save the best for last"... but I think I'm going to mix it up this year and wear what I like most first. I wear my clothes for me, but hey, if I can impress people early on, rather than after they knnow me and like me for more than my clothes, why not :) LOL

ChillyMichiganGirl: Your Christmas Eve outfit sounds perfect for a formal night. Dressy black outfits set off by jewelry makes for great formal wear on any cruise. (That's pretty much where I was going on the ``little black dress'' suggestion.) No need to buy that black dress, you already own what I was talking about.

I purchased a spaghetti strap black dress with black lace jacket on 3-bay last year for about $10 including shipping. Rarely wear the lace jacket with it but wear the dress often on cruises changing its looks and style through jewelry, long scarves, etc.

Dianne

ok, heres another question for you ladies (by the way i LOVE all this information! haha, its great, my mom thinks its hilarious theres a whole forum on crusie fashions... but thats another story)

i was cleaning out my closet the other day (big job lol...) and i found my xmas eve outfit from this xmas. i totally forgot i had it. its a short black skirt with silk over it thats longer and the hem is uneven and i wore it with a black top that had a broach on the v-neck thats really pretty. could i wear this for one of the formal nights? OH and that reminds me, should i save my red dress for the last formal night or bring it out on the first? i read somewhere on here you should save your roomiest dress for the last formal night (i can see why though) but they both fit the same...so which night would be more formal?

thanks! :cool:

I do love silk myself and have a beautiful silk two piece dress but I won't wear it on my RCCL cruise. The reason is I know it will need pressing-silk just does not pack well and RCCL has no self laundry and no irons that you can use yourself. Portable steamers just do not work well on silk either. So I would have to send it out to be pressed. Ofcourse you can still wear your outfit-just remmember to factor in the cost of having it pressed-nothing looks worse then a silk dres that is unpressed.

Now if it is "fake" silk or poly-silk then there is no problem. That packs great.

Where did you find your silk skirt, Bethwte? I'm looking for something to wear for New Year's in Tampa, either a sparkly dress or a silk/satin skirt to wear with a dressy top, but I don't want to pay a fortune.

I found at Marshalls a beautiful geniune silk skirt in tones of mint green and teal green on sale for $5. It was flared with the hem that is shorter on one side and longer on the other. I did not buy it-too young for me and as my daughter wears a 0 and the smallest they had was a 6-it was too big for her. But it would had been perfect for one of you young gals. In the local mall I saw one of those sparkly camesoles in a mint green that would have been perfect. Now it was $20 but heck a great outfit for $25 total.

Thank you!:) My mom and grandma are coming up tomorrow and one thing that I'm looking for before I go is a good pair of earrings with matching studs (I have two holes in each ear) and a big cheap cocktail ring. As far as necklaces go I'm set! My grandma loves jewelry and as a result, I have more necklaces than I need, including a silver one that will look great!

Your Grandma sounds like me. I absolutely LOVE jewelry and only have one daughter. She tells me that when I die and she inherits all that that she will have plenty to share with all her friends. I told her fine-give it all away if she wants as long as she keeps my engagement ring and my mother's 14k gold watch. She said to me ofcouse she would never part with those.

I don't think I'd ever give any of it away!! She likes expensive jewelry after all :) My other grandma gave me a diamond ring before she died last year and told me that I could probably sell it to get money for school! I told her that I'd never sell it. The fact that she gave it to me makes it priceless.

I don't think I'd ever give any of it away!! She likes expensive jewelry after all :) My other grandma gave me a diamond ring before she died last year and told me that I could probably sell it to get money for school! I told her that I'd never sell it. The fact that she gave it to me makes it priceless.

As the mother of two daughters who are bearing me grandchildren, I can only hope and pray my generations to come are as thoughtful and loving as you young women we ``older'' women have met on this thread.

Hope you all have a great time on your cruises and knock their eyes out with the outfits you are all planning to wear. :)

Dianne (grandma of 3 grandsons but still have hopes for a granddaughter)

How I would love to go to an American school...the only formal wear we have in England is one prom, and even then it's difficult to get nice evning wear as it's not common over here!!!!! I'm 17 and my prom has been and gone!

It's major difficult to find nice formal dresses over here!! I've started my search for nice formal wear now, and our cruise is in november!!!!

Do any of you girls know any good websites for formal wear which can be delivered to England to!!!

Gem :)

Ebay has a lot shops selling formal dresses that they can deliver to the UK. Quite a few sell them "made to fit" so you bid on it, send them your measurements and then send on made just for your size.

Believe me, I looked last night for hours. *sigh*

Here you go...always look for the ones with prices in GBP...they are normally in England.

http://search.ebay.com/prom_Womens-Clothing_W0QQcatrefZC12QQcoactionZcompareQQcoentrypageZsearchQQcopagenumZ1QQfromZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQsacatZ15724QQsojsZ1

Also, just a hint...never buy from someone who has unreasonably high bad feedback, very few sales or they don't take PayPal. That is a recipe for disaster and ripoffs.

How I would love to go to an American school...the only formal wear we have in England is one prom, and even then it's difficult to get nice evning wear as it's not common over here!!!!! I'm 17 and my prom has been and gone!

It's major difficult to find nice formal dresses over here!! I've started my search for nice formal wear now, and our cruise is in november!!!!

Do any of you girls know any good websites for formal wear which can be delivered to England to!!!

Gem :)

~I actually found some cute stuff in the Victorias Secret catalog and on their website. Before you say, 'the only make underwear!' HAHA! they dont, they have a WHOLE section on formal wear, and they have to ship to england, too i mean they are a world wide company, arent they? or is that just my naive americaness showing? lol....

~I actually found some cute stuff in the Victorias Secret catalog and on their website. Before you say, 'the only make underwear!' HAHA! they dont, they have a WHOLE section on formal wear, and they have to ship to england, too i mean they are a world wide company, arent they? or is that just my naive americaness showing? lol....

Haha, I practically live at Vickie's website (I mean, if I have a nickname for a store, you know its an obsession) ;) They do have some really nice light cotton dresses on sale now as well as formalwear that would be great for crusing.

Well Meg will keep anything that has sentimental value. Meg has in a safety deposit box now-my mother's "mother's ring". All 4 of us kids were born in July- so Mom's ring has 4 rubies. Meg was the only grandchild with a July birthday so my mom left that ring to her.

Meg also said she would never give away my engagement ring or Mom's gold watch that I inherited.

I have over the years bought several diamond coctail rings or as they call them right hand rings now. I tend to get bored with stuff so I finially got smart and stopped that and started saving that money for cruises. I told hubby no more expensive jewelry-lets go on a cruise instead.

Now all that stuff sits in a safety deposit box. I also have plenty of the costume stuff and that is what I go for now. I figure if I don't pay much for it it doesn't matter if I get bored with it. I just give away to a friend or else sell it in a yard sale.

Thank you girls, it's great having other people of a similar/same age to discussthis with, as the people at college get fed up of me talking about it all the time!!!11

Just before the cruise me and my best friend (who is also coming) will be going shoppin for cruise clothes :)

Gem

Gem: Some of us who have written on this board or keep checking in are a wee bit older than you. I'm 57 myself, but sure do remember when I was 16 or something.

By the way, my oldest daughter is named after a close friend who lived in London. Her name is Winifred. Winnie, as we nicknamed our daughter, will be 32 in March. My best friend was almost 70 when my daughter was born. I miss my friend and also her beautiful English accent.

Love steak and kidney pie with Yorkshire pudding. My idea of a perfect meal. Wish they would serve it on cruise ships.

Dianne

I know what you mean Gem! My roommates and friends here at school think I'm crazy because I'm planning and making lists now for my cruise next January (06). But I know that I'm going to be so busy this year. I'll be in Germany in May. I'll be maid of honor in my bff's wedding in June. I'll have an internship and a week long vacation and a weekend vacation in the summer. I'll be heading back to school in the fall and then I'll be doing Christmas stuff and we leave a week after Christmas! I just feel much better planning all this stuff now and if my roommate doesn't get it, why should I care?!

Archived