jewel of the seas

kitchen1

We have been on the jewel as well and it is a beautiful ship - lots of outside seating for breakfast, lunch, etc - they do have smoking areas up on the pool deck on most ships so I assume they have an area on the Jewel as well

You kind of take your chances with smokers on either side of you - because they do allow smoking on the balconies - we been next to smokers and cigar smokers - but it wasn't enough to both us and I hate smoke as well

You may get lucky and have non smokers on either side of you - just hope you don't have screaming kids - next door - I'd rather put up the smoke :)

We just got off the Jewel last week & did the same itinerary and had a great time. We have 3 kids - 13, 9 & 7. I have posted a thread in the Family cruising section where I've given more info. about the kid's club, etc. if you want more info. In a nutshell - my kids LOVED it. There were only 68 kids on board and only about 10-15 in the AO at a time. They combined into one program ages 6-11 and there really wasn't much for our 13 yo to do since there were no other kids attending in his age group.

The food & wait staff was terrific, the boat is great, our room (8002) was ideal for our family. The ports of call were really nice - I posted a bit more info on the Panama & Costa Rico threads. The kids favorite was beaching at Grand Cayman (least favorite was Cartegena).

Anything else in particular you'd like to know?

We are also interested in the Jewel, as we are booked for April 26 sailing. We are really looking forward to sailing on her. We have been on the Rhapsody and the Voyager. Our favorite so far is the Rhapsody. Hope the Jewel will be at least as good.

What was disappointing about Cartegena? - was it just the kids or you guys - we haven't begun to check into things to do yet as far as ship excursions - but our travelling buddies have done this trip as well and we'll just follow them

Thanks for the info:)

I think one of the reasons we didn't enjoy it as much as the other locations is that we didn't have an excursion planned. It is a historic city but since we went out on our own I dont' think we learned much and therefore missed out on what it has to offer. We also found it unbearably hot. We are not used to the humidity and the kids were really uncomfortable (i.e. whining). I had taken an umbrella on the cruise but DH convinced me to leave it behind that day, but I wish I had taken it to provide some shade. The kids were also a little put off by the in-your-face sale tactics of the people on the street.

Archived