canary tours

bonniecharlie

Hi

I did a Canaries this year and in 2006. Here is a extract from my blog on the ports we did:

Madeira:  Plenty of free shuttle coaches took us to the town on the seafront, only took 5 mins by coach, and we walked back ourselves, a pleasant 15 mins flat walk.  The cable car station is there. Buy your tickets and go up to the top (see my photos), Botanical garden is lovely, well worth 10e entry (about £7).Can either go on the famous sledge ride down or go back by cable car. Best to go round shops in morning, and at siesta go up to Monte? Around 1pm?  there are some lovely waterfront cafe/restaurants for lunch when you come back down to the harbour, we sat at one opp. our ship, and had a lovely tuna salad and a stella!.

Bought our holiday pressies here Maderia wine and cake (But cake was very dry to our embarrassment, as we bought about 6 as presents!)

Gran Canaria  The weather here for us wasn't great, about 70o,(May) and cloudy so we walked across the road from the port to a brand new shopping complex with up-market shops, lovely shoes and sandals for us girlies there... then walked through the town to the beach , ok.....

Not much else to say really. Went back to the ship about 3 ish for high tea!  If the weather had been sunnier would of stayed on the beach.

La Palma:  We took a morning trip to the Countryside and mountains, which was lovely. But we arrived back at 1pm to siesta!!! So all shops closed in the town, so, as it was a lovely hot day we went back to the ship and sunbathed around the pool with cocktails.  If I had thought about this before, I would of taken the afternoon tour option and looked round the shops and town in the morning!!! Also, as we left at 9am, we arrived at the wine lodge at 10am!!! A bit early for wine tasting and food... there were meats and hot salted potatoes etc, but most had just digested their cooked PandO breakfast and were not able to take advantage of the hospitality.  The volcanic mountains and scenery were lovely - my photo on my photosite 'above the clouds' was taken there.

Tenerife:  Another lovely hot sunny day.  We took a tour across the island to Playa des Americas for a beach day. About £14 each for coach only. had nearly 5 hours at the resort.

Went swimming in the sea and sat under palm trees on the white (imported) sand!!

Lisbon: I was dismayed at the amount of graffiti in the city, but besides that very cultural, again free plentiful shuttle coaches waiting on the port side to take us to the square in the heart of the city. All shuttles were free on this cruise.  At the square the Old Trams were parked. Took a 2 hour site seeing trip, went shopping around the city, lots of upmarket shops. Do try the Lisbon custard tarts! Just 80 cents -under 50p deep filled custard in flaked pastry -fab. Beware the shuttle coach back to the ship was not parked exactly same place from where he dropped us off - so keep a look out for coach around the square!.

Don’t forget to get up early for the sail-in to Lisbon under the 25th April bridge, (photos on site), the ship seems to ‘only just’ go under the bridge – great photos taken here and of the statue of Jesus, like the one in Rio. The sail out is good too!!

Cadiz: The sail-in here is also lovely, you seem to sail right into the heart of the port/town, which reminded me of Malta, with cream buildings and domed churches. You can walk into town, or catch a tour bus which is waiting outside the port gates. The shops are very nice and gardens by the waters edge are very pretty.

Vigo: I wasn’t expecting much from this port town, as some CC’ers weren’t over enthusiastic, but I like Vigo. Compared to the Canaries, the shops were a bit more upmarket, and the harbour was pretty along by the Marina. We just walked into town, went round the shops and had lunch.

Here are some photos from that cruise,.

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/1stCruiseCanariesOnArcadiaMay06#5113823411066241554

also another Canaries cruise, which we did this year on Oriana is in 'my photos' section.

We did a great tour in Lanzarote to ' Fire Mountain' , and went to Puerto de la Cruz for a change when in Tenerife.

Any questions ask away.

What PORTS are you doing? For more detailed responses?

Thanks to you all for the info re the tours it was very helpfull

we are visiting Madeira/La Palma/Gran Canaria/Tenerife/Lisbon and Vigo

all full days,, Cannot wait

It is much easier to DIY tours in the Canaries. Lisbon and Madeira fine to use free shuttle and wonder around.. enjoy.

Archived