Post Cruise - Disneyland to LAX

krisean

We plan on spending the day at Disneyland after disembarking from the Mariner on Feb 21. We have a red-eye flight out of LAX at 11:55pm. We are renting a car in San Pedro at the port.

I was originally figuring on 40 minutes to drive from Disneyland to LAX based on Mapquest. Based on some comments about traffic in greater LA, I wanted to be sure I am giving myself enough time. Can anyone from the area advise? Are we going to have traffic issues on Sunday at 9:30pm?

Thanks!

You shouldn't have traffic issues to LAX from Disneyland on a Sunday evening/night. I would think getting out of the parking garage at Disneyland maybe your biggest obstacle. California Adventure closes at 9 and Disneyland at 11. Unlike the olden days, it isn't a quick walk anymore to your car--it is a fairly long shuttle ride to the big parking structure and an adventure to get to the car after that. After you arrive at LAX, you need to factor in the time to check in the car and get the shuttle to your airline and check your baggage, if you need to do so. LAX can be pretty busy around the time you are getting there as that is the departure time for many of the red eyes back east and arrival time for many of the international flights arriving at the Bradley International Terminal.

There should not be traffic at that time of night. However, you may be cutting it a bit close. It may take a bit more time than you think to return the car and get back to the airport. The car rentals are sometimes in odd locations and in the dark it may be a bit hard to find.

It takes about 20 to 30 minutes from the time you leave the park until the time you are back to your car. If you are wanting to stay for the fireworks I have two ideas. Be at the structure when they start, you can see a lot of the fireworks from there. The other option is to have 1 person go get the car and wait with the car in the 15 minute lot on Harbor near where the buses and shuttles pull in. The people in the park need to watch the fireworks on Main Street close to the exit. When the fireworks end it is a zoo trying to get out of the park.

If you don't care about fireworks, I would leave earlier than 9:30.

Jen in SoCal

We plan on spending the day at Disneyland after disembarking from the Mariner on Feb 21. We have a red-eye flight out of LAX at 11:55pm. We are renting a car in San Pedro at the port.

I was originally figuring on 40 minutes to drive from Disneyland to LAX based on Mapquest. Based on some comments about traffic in greater LA, I wanted to be sure I am giving myself enough time. Can anyone from the area advise? Are we going to have traffic issues on Sunday at 9:30pm?

Thanks!

I was not clear in the original post. At 9:30pm - I planned on being in my car ready to drive. I was going to exit the park about 9:00pm and figured 30 minutes to get back to the car. So from there, I was figuring 1 hour to drive to LAX and return car. That would put me at LAX 1.5 hours before my flight. Does that seem doable?

Thanks!

I don't think you can drive to LA, fill the car with gas, drive to the car return, return the car and get to the airport in 1 hour. Anyone else????

Jen in SoCal

I was not clear in the original post. At 9:30pm - I planned on being in my car ready to drive. I was going to exit the park about 9:00pm and figured 30 minutes to get back to the car. So from there, I was figuring 1 hour to drive to LAX and return car. That would put me at LAX 1.5 hours before my flight. Does that seem doable?

Thanks!

Here's my time estimates, you can work out the schedule:

- Walk or parking shuttle from front gate of DL to your car: 20 minutes

- Exit parking structure or lot: 10 minutes (can be longer if you wait til end of fireworks when everyone else is leaving).

- Drive to rental car lot at LAX: 1 hour including refueling car (no allowance for unexpected traffic). Be sure to "map out" a station near LAX ahead of time so you aren't hunting around frantically.

- Return car, wait for shuttle: 15 minutes

- Shuttle ride to terminal: 10 minutes to T1, 20 minutes to T7, in between for other terminals.

Hope this helps!

Archived