Snorkel in St.John or St.Martin area?

blake_

Hi, first time cruiser going to both St.John and St.Martin on Carnival this Feb (full day at each). I am more comfortable booking snorkelling thru the cruise line as they have many packages and I dont mind paying a bit more to not risk being left behind.

Any suggestions which island has better snorkelling? I am debating between the following, anyone have suggestions (carnival site a bit skimpy on details):

St.Thomas/St.John:

1. St.John champagne catamaran - sails across pillsbury sound to its special "ancorching destination" where you can snorkel, swim or beach comb. Not sure where this is?

2. St.John Trunk Bay snorkel and beach- looks like they provide the ferry transportation.. Is it a safer bet to snorkel at Trunk (which seems very good) or a private anchor point on a catamaran?

3. Captain Nautica's snorkel expedition - motorboat two 2 x 1hr sites at "remote locations"

4. Coki beach...

St.Martin

1. Golden Eagle Catamaran

2. Pinel island snorkel tour

3. Shipwreck cove snorkel tour

4. One of the beaches -- Orient?

Lots of options.. Much difference?? THANKS!

:)

Blake..I've not been to either place, but will be in St. Maartin in March. From all that I've read, the snorkeling is just "ok" in St. Maarten. I've seen pictures and read about the snorkeling in St. Johns, most especially Trunk Bay. The pictures alone, would send me there. It looks just beautiful!!

Just returned yesterday from an Eastern Caribbean tour on RC's Navigator of the Seas. We did a ship's excursion to Trunk Bay while in St Thomas, then did our own excursion aboard a private boat in St Maarten that included a snorkel.

The snorkeling in Trunk Bay was incredible. The snorkeling in St Maarten was nothing but murky water. The captain of our ship in St Maarten mentioned that the water in that area is usually clear and there are a lot of fish to see. Regardless, however, I would HIGHLY recommend Trunk Bay. The underwater snorkel trail there is absolutely amazing.

I snorkled St. John last year from the Carnival Legend excursion. I was highly dissapointed. The beach was beautiful, the snorkeling was very sad. You had a starting point and a finish line. Under the water were numberer cement placks that told you a little something. When you hit the end, you were done. Next time I would do a private tour.

St John/ St Thomas has the better snorkeling, in my experience. Trunk Bay can get very crowded tho, especially if there are many ships in port the same day as yours (check http://www.***** for REAMS of information about st John and St Thomas - including a cruiseship calendar.) You have to count in traveling time (taxi and ferry bothe directions) whenever you go to St John, so if extended swim time is what you want, staying on St thomas might be a better bet. Magens Bay is gorgeous, lousy snorkeling. Coki Beach, next to Coral World is also beautiful and the snorkeling is pretty good. You can also rent equipment there.

Private excursions are usually wonderful - especially in the US Virgin Islands. It's very easy and safe to book your own excursions there. If you like convenience and "no-thinking/worrying about anything" trips, the ones featured by the cruiselines fit the bill just fine. They may be a little more expensive, but you'll never get left behind, and the ship will always wait for you if anything happens. Not so with the others. As a first time cruiser, this would probably make you feel a little more comfortable.

Anytime "remote locations" are spoken of by an excursion compnay, we have always had excellent luck. Any special "anchoring place" will be chosen by the skipper depending on that day's weather and sea conditions. Those are usually excellent. Some excursions concentrate on the swimming and snorkeling, while others consider the traveling part to be the most important (Party boats, for instance) and only do snorkeling as a small diversion. It would be wise to check each one with those that have done them and ask for opinions. (Do a "search this forum"with the name of the particular excursion in particular.)

I personally have yet to be wowed by anything on St Martin (just MHO) except America's Cup races - that was awesome. Maybe it was just bad luck, but the snorkeling has always been so-so and murky water. Wish I could find something we absolutely love on that island, but out of 6 visits, the America's Cup was only thing we really loved. (Altho I hear the Guavaberry liqueur is fantastic and makes a great colada)

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

We go to Trunk Bay to snorkel anytime we hit St Thomas. We just love it. The underwater trail is nice for beginners. You can rent equipment and chairs at the beach.

It can get crowded. We usually go on our own to Red Hook for the early ferry to St John. If you have a group you can save money this way and have more time to snorkel, as opposed to an excursion. This January we were one of the first 10 people on the beach.

Whatever you decide have fun!!

Archived