H/C Review of Oasis 1 Dec & 5 Dec

CaptData

H/C Review Oasis of the Seas

My name is Wendy (aka Capt Data). I am 55 years old and have MS. Due to the MS and a forces injury I use a scooter on board. It is a shoprider Length is 48 inches and width is 22, weight 176 lbs.

Traveling from my hometown to our nearest international airport takes 2.5 hrs. I left on the 29 Nov to catch my flight on the 30th. I used my normal shuttle bus to get to Winnipeg, MB and stayed overnight at Four Point Sheraton which is attached to the airport.

On my flight down I did not have to pay for my two bags. My scooter and elbow canes of course did not cost anything to fly and received no damage. I asked for gate checking but my scooter was not waiting for me when I arrived for my 5 hour layover in Chicago. They gave me an over sized wheelchair and no help except to the gate. This was very hard on me and as a result I did not make it to dinner with the other Cruise Critic members.

For my overnight I stayed at the Ramada Airport/cruise port. It was ok as it had free transport to and from airport and cruise port which I used. They also offered a free breakfast (hot/cold buffet style).

I eat a nice supper with King Crab and lobster, my two favourites.

I left for the cruise port at 10 am (vis h/c cab). I had tagged my bags with my rm which was 12310 (balcony OV, not H/C). I ask for H/C when I book but the girl said only Gty were available for this trip. I booked at 35 days out. The cab driver slowed down while approaching the cruise port so I could see the ship.

I did B2B 1 Dec Labadee and 5 Dec (Maiden Voyage). Because of the B2B I am now Diamond.

After arriving at the port I noticed the sign boards above showing people where to go. There is a separate entrance for suite guests. Diamond Plus does not get to go in there you must be in a suite. . I gave my bags over to the porter after tipping the taxi and him.

Terminal 18

As you enter the terminal there are signs directing you to your deck check-in. The terminal is fully accessible with no problems at all. This was not required in my case because when I entered on my scooter I was met immediately by a young man who asked my room number. He showed me where to go and moved any offend ribbon for me. I was first in line so it took 5 minutes. They take your pix right there and their camera moves so you do not need to try to stand (which I can do easily). They asked me to fill out the med form which I did with a yes to cough. I have a cough due to taking meds so they let me pass without and problems. The lovely young woman handed me my cruise card and a tote bag. All pax will be receiving one this year for the first season.

This bag although very light, fit nicely on my scooter and would be my beach bag for the cruise. Mine was green, other colours were yellow, blue and a reddish colour.

From there I was directed by staff to three elevators at the back and would go up to the second floor waiting area. This waiting area is dived by your level and groups. I met the Cruise Critic group up here and we enjoyed and hour or so wait while they cleared the ship for the first time for real (all previous sailing were only out to sea and back). This one was going to Labadee and back. We were informed that they were doing a complete check this time and it was the first real one. So everyone had to be accounted for.

While we waited I took a stroll over to the washroom. They have a large H/C washroom and change room (infant). I also noticed a play structure for the kids who might get bored otherwise. It was in use by a few children. There were no staff there so you must watch your own children.

The waiting areas are by your C&A level. Starting with those who were on the last voyage , then Diamond plus, Diamond, Platinum, and final gold. We were a group and we boarded at the same time as Diamond Plus as we had several members who were on the last voyage and others who were Diamond Plus.

Entering the Oasis of the Seas

As reported many times now you enter on deck 5 the Promenade. It had an archway of balloons and champagne or mismos were served as you entered. I also noticed that the Promenade Cafe was opened.

There was no large crowds here as you could go in any direction. They also had two entry points so even less crowded.

The ship

It is hugh so if you have any difficulty with walking get a scooter or wheelchair. Even with a scooter it still took a few minutes to get from one end of the ship to the other.

Since it was not quite lunch time I decide to explore a little. I found the Guest Services tucked away near an elevator (very accessible with a lower counter for those who need this option.. Sorrento's was just opening up. The Rising Tide was at the top for now but would soon show what it could do but not serve drinks for the first couple of days. It was nice seeing the show under the Tide play out.

It is easy to find things the first days because as you enter or leave the elevators there are computer panels. On the bottom of them you can pick your language but they automatically revert to English when done. They have choices on the first screen I have pica and will post. You can find your room, any restaurant, venue, entertainment or place. It is touch screen so it is easy to operate. I even used my cane on one from a seated position to see if you could use an adaptive device and it worked. When another pax seen me using my cane to reach the top part of the screen he came over to help me. I explained what I was doing and he thought that it was great that someone was doing this as his mother was on board in a wheelchair after a stroke.

I decided to start with Central Park as I had heard so much about this place. It was decked out for Christmas. The beauty in this place is some of the little quite areas and the restaurants in the area. This included 150 Central Park which I did go to on night. They have two menus only one with beef only and one with a lobster tail. It was very good.

I did have a few problems with Central Park which got addressed within a hour of my observations. I could not get to Park Cafe or the Coach store as tables and chairs blocked the only ramp to the area. I called out to the Head person in Park Cafe and he came out. Showing him what had to be done I left. I came back after lunch and it was now accessible. On my way back out someone had moved their table back to the other place blocking me in. The head guy came out and spoke with the person and they moved the table. The Head waiter said that they were getting signs to be placed there so that it won't happen again. The signs should be there in a couple of months.

The Promenade and Boardwalk were easy to get around in with my scooter. You can easily wee the Aqua show while sitting in your scooter or wheelchair too (and you are not in the splash zone of the first three rows). On the promenade there is a Clock tower that if you booked your entertainment on line you have to go here and get your sea pass card updated as this is your ticket into the venues.

My table for the Main Dining Room was near the door and easy to get to and leave from. Scooters are parked just outside the Dining Room.

The halls are not very wide and there were several scooters parked outside including mine. I could still get by all of them with slowing down (I am a speed demon).

There are 24 elevators and none were crowded except the last day. They have a button for the Gangway when you go to ports. Press it and the last stop is where you get off. If you use a scooter or wheelchair once here you look for the elevator that is held by a staff member for you. It will complete your journey to the gangway. This prevents everyone from use the elevator for the H/C.

Coming back on you just use what elevator that is available. I found that sometimes this is crowed in that people will push to get on ahead of you after being out for 4 hours they just want to get to their rooms and drop stuff off too. Excuse me worked most times.

I have a no salt diet which the first two days was not honoured. I spoke with the Mait'd before hand but the order was screwed up. They finally got their act together. Dinner the first night was very slow and we got cold snails (yucky). We sent them back but the second ones were just as bad. The next night they brought us the snails piping hot even though we did not order them. They did this for many people. By the third day they starting getting their act together for dinner. I always per-ordered my dinner the night before so it started working the way it should.

The pool area is easy to get around on a scooter or wheelchair. The Beach pool is easy to get in the water as you can drive to the water. I have a pix of my scooter at the waters edge. They do have the lifts if you require them but you must ask staff for them as none were out the first trip.

For the second half of my trip I was in 7100 (OV). The only thing you see is the helo pad. This room is terrible as you can here the waves hitting in the night all night long on the first couple of days. It also has a lot of movement up and down so if you are prone to sea sickness get a different room. This room is right up front of the ship.

Disembarking.

I went on the excursion to the Air-boats. I went to meet everyone but there was a mix up as I use a scooter. I got separated so I got my bags and found the bus myself. I was the first one there. The excursion was fun and they do lift you in and out if necessary but they will tell you it is not wheelchair friendly for this part. The second part is easier to do but you have to find an area of clear sight.

The baggage area is while marked with numbers. It was very easy to find my bags including my canes. I did not have to go to two different areas to pick up my stuff.

Customs is split into two parts with several agents on each part. It is broken into US Citizens and the rest of us. I got through in less then 10 mins.

I would rate the Oasis as excellent for the disabled. The staff do co-operate and aid you when you need it in the Buffet and at the venues too.

• 2 weeks later...

You mentioned that they had a staff member stationed at one of the elevators for w/c's and scooters...is this for port days only or did they also do this on disembarkation ( last day) too? Was it the same elevator each time and where was it located?

Archived