Questions from a Platinum Past Guest about formal night & captains cocktail party

Sailfish

We are platinum past guests, but have not cruised on Carnival lately. We'll be going on the Splendor in two weeks, and I was wondering if someone could explain the new "format" that replaced Formal Night.

Do guests still get dressed up? The guy booking our cruise at Carnival said they no longer have Formal Nights - rather it was replaced by something he called elegant ________. Finally, did the cruise line do away with the Captain's cocktail party? From what I could tell, Carnival still has a past guest party, right?

As we will embark on Valentine's Day, is it possible the cruise line will do something special - serve champagne?

Any info you can provide would be most helpful and appreciated.

Suzi

Last time I was on was 2 years ago.... The dress code was just then in transition. On regular night, people can wear jeans and "dressy/long shorts" to dinner. Elegant night...... well, not so elegant. Men can wear khakis and button up shirt if they choose to. So, there are still people that get all tuxed up, but not many (even 2 yrs ago when half of us didn't even know there was a change in dress code).

There was a captain's cocktail party. There were so many people there, though, that it was pretty chaotic. Not a lot of talking, more emphasis on trying to get everyone their obligatory free drink.

I was on Fantasy last week.

Captain's Party - $1 off all drinks from 5-8

Past Guest Party - free drinks for 1 hr (maybe 45 min). The place was packed and very hard to get a drink. By the time the server would reach us there was a glass or two of fruit punch.

Farewell Party - free drinks for 1 hr. In comparison, the place was empty. Maybe it wasn't too well advertised, but the drinks (and choice of) were flowing.

Elegant Night - My wife wore a formal dress and I wore a suit. I didn't see any jeans or shorts - so it's still somewhat elegant. But one hour after dinner I think I was the only one still wearing a suit - everyone else had changed.

Platinum Guests - sorry not platinum yet so I don't know.

We are platinum past guests, but have not cruised on Carnival lately. We'll be going on the Splendor in two weeks, and I was wondering if someone could explain the new "format" that replaced Formal Night.

Do guests still get dressed up? The guy booking our cruise at Carnival said they no longer have Formal Nights - rather it was replaced by something he called elegant ________. Finally, did the cruise line do away with the Captain's cocktail party? From what I could tell, Carnival still has a past guest party, right?

As we will embark on Valentine's Day, is it possible the cruise line will do something special - serve champagne?

Suzi

Formal night is now Cruise elegant night. Dress code is more relaxed. People do get dressed up, but not quite like before.

There is still a Captain's Cocktail Party, but it no longer offers free drinks. I believe drinks are $1 off during the party time. There is now a Farewell party on the last night with free drinks.

Past guest party still exists and still has free drinks.

Elegant night replace Formal night. Reduction in dress code....not as many people dressing up.

Captain's Cocktail Reception is history........The Capt and his staff is introduced before the show. They will also appear briefly to chat with people and for photos.

Farewell Reception on last night is where the free drinks are now. You will have to look close for it in the Capers. It is usually held between 5-6pm.

Past Guest party is unchanged.

Dave

I haven't cruised on Carnival since last Feb., so I've been very surprised reading posts that say they now charge for cocktails at the Captain's Party. How chinzy is that?

I suppose the 'farewell party', of which I'm now learning about, is giving the comp cocktails instead of the Cap. party? And, if not many folks know about it, they save many bucks.

I'm glad to know the Past Guest party is still in existence with comp cocktails. I still enjoy the party, even though it's always been too crowded....what w/guests bringing their non-guests friends.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the information - helpful and very much appreciated. I can't say I am surprised, but I am a little disappointed.

Suzi

Was just on the Splendor a couple weeks ago. The changes noted above by others is correct.

But here is some additional info based on our recent experience:

Our past guest party was in the Spectacular lounge and full but not over crowded. I have never had problems getting (lots of) drinks at any of the past guest parties I've attended. And even though this one was no exception, the difference with this one compared to others... it was dull and boring. We had a few drinks and headed out.

The farewell party, however, was fun but crowded! Unfortunately it was held in the, ummm rats, now I forgot the name of the lounge where the comedian performs. But that's where it's held, so the venue is much smaller than the Spectacular lounge. However, drinks were flowly freely even with the crowds. I suppose it didn't hurt that we just happened to sit in the section that was being served by the same bar server who covered our table in the MDR! He loved our group and made certain we were well taken care of during the Farewell party!

This was the first cruise in which we opted not to attend the Captain's party. Partly because we were pressed for time, having early dinner and trying to coordinate pictures for our group of 16! So I can't comment on that specific gathering.

Enjoy your cruise! I loved Splendor and would gladly sail her again!!

Was just on the Splendor a couple weeks ago. The changes noted above by others is correct.

But here is some additional info based on our recent experience:

Our past guest party was in the Spectacular lounge and full but not over crowded. I have never had problems getting (lots of) drinks at any of the past guest parties I've attended. And even though this one was no exception, the difference with this one compared to others... it was dull and boring. We had a few drinks and headed out.

The farewell party, however, was fun but crowded! Unfortunately it was held in the, ummm rats, now I forgot the name of the lounge where the comedian performs. But that's where it's held, so the venue is much smaller than the Spectacular lounge. However, drinks were flowly freely even with the crowds. I suppose it didn't hurt that we just happened to sit in the section that was being served by the same bar server who covered our table in the MDR! He loved our group and made certain we were well taken care of during the Farewell party!

This was the first cruise in which we opted not to attend the Captain's party. Partly because we were pressed for time, having early dinner and trying to coordinate pictures for our group of 16! So I can't comment on that specific gathering.

Enjoy your cruise! I loved Splendor and would gladly sail her again!!

Thanks - all this information is helping me prepare for our cruise in just a little over a week away now.

I am having to re-think what kind of clothes I plan to take. Our last cruise was aboard the Ruby Princess where most passengers dressed up every night - by that I mean the ladies wore mostly nice outfits to dinner each night - the LBD was alive and well represented. On the two Formal nights, men wore suits and many ladies were dressed in long gowns.

I am thinking that on the Splendor, we'll see a variety of outfits more on the casual end of the scale and on the two formal nights, I should be fine in a LBD. Right now, my husband is thinking that he will take a couple of long sleeved shirts and a tie, but no jacket for formal night - it would make things easier, but not sure if he would be out of place.

I get the party schedule, and sort of think the first formal night is not such a big deal any more - why do people dress up if not to attend a party. Correct me if I am wrong, but it doesn't sound like there is a party on the First Formal Night.

Thanks.

Suzi

Suzi

We were on a cruise on Fantasy on Valentine's Day last year. They served a special dessert in the MDR that night. Each lady received a red carnation from the maître d’ .

2935358690101116058S600x600Q85.jpg

........... my husband is thinking that he will take a couple of long sleeved shirts and a tie, but no jacket for formal night - it would make things easier, but not sure if he would be out of place. Thanks. Suzi

Dress shirt & tie a perfectly acceptable for formal night.

Lot's of gals wear their LBD's or the black slacks/sparkly top outfit.

Ahoy there Sailfish!!

We will be on the same cruise with you and we will be dressing up. I'll wear a suit and tie for the first "Elegant" night and a sport coat and tie the second. My wife who looks like she is 30 something but is really older will be in a Formal that will send the old Biddys to the ladie's room blabbing thier mouths off and the old guys will be elbowing each other!!

Formal night has changed but a few of us refuse to die. You will notice most people will not bother to fancy up much. Tuxes are just about dead now - can't remember the last one I saw on a cruise ship. I think you can still rent one though.

I just wanted to tell you if you want to dress up, go right ahead, you won't be alone. We will be the minority though!!

C U onboard in 10 days!!!

mowdoc

Ahoy there Sailfish!!

We will be on the same cruise with you and we will be dressing up. I'll wear a suit and tie for the first "Elegant" night and a sport coat and tie the second. My wife who looks like she is 30 something but is really older will be in a Formal that will send the old Biddys to the ladie's room blabbing thier mouths off and the old guys will be elbowing each other!!

Formal night has changed but a few of us refuse to die. You will notice most people will not bother to fancy up much. Tuxes are just about dead now - can't remember the last one I saw on a cruise ship. I think you can still rent one though.

I just wanted to tell you if you want to dress up, go right ahead, you won't be alone. We will be the minority though!!

C U onboard in 10 days!!!

mowdoc

On every Princess and Celebrity cruise we have ever been on, people on Formal night have dressed up - including the cruise in Nov '09 on the Ruby Princess - so much so, that I didn't feel comfortable NOT dressing up for dinner (my definition of dressing up=nice pant outfits and dresses - something I would wear to an upscale restaurant or cocktail party). Though we are okay with dressing up, we tend to prefer a more relaxed ambiance, so not having to would be okay too. We don't cruise from CA too often, so it's possible that we are seeing a more "east coast/palm beach" attire on ships when we cruise from Florida. I know from family members from the east coast who live in FLA in the winter, that there are a few differences in the way people dress there as opposed to Northern CA (where I live).

If there is no longer a "Formal Night" Captain's reception or party, why dress up? Do passengers primarily dress up to go to dinner and for photos? It sounds like people change after dinner - I did not see people doing this the last time I cruised with Carnival (on the Valor), and people wore the same formal clothes to shows and around the ship all evening on the Ruby.

I will be taking my LBD - I will discuss this issue with my husband tonight as far as what he wants to do.

Thanks.

Suzi

...........If there is no longer a "Formal Night" Captain's reception or party, why dress up?Suzi

I dress up every evening, not to the 'nines' as in really formal, but the LBD or black pants, sparkly top.

Makes ME feel special. Not something I do very often at home, so why not on a cruise?

I don't particularly care what other folks wear. If I look good - I feel good!:)

I dress up every evening, not to the 'nines' as in really formal, but the LBD or black pants, sparkly top.

Makes ME feel special. Not something I do very often at home, so why not on a cruise?

I don't particularly care what other folks wear. If I look good - I feel good!:)

I plan to take my LBD - but need to update my shoes - last task left before the trip (the ladies I am sure can relate :)).

Good luck.

Archived