Xunantunich vs. Lamanai: Please Weigh In!

mbrown02

Hi, I really love ruins and want to make the best choice with the limited time we will have. Which of these two sites is the biggest and most impressive for taking photos? Wikipedia said that Xunantunich has 26 temples and it sounds like Lamanai has only three?

The boat ride sounds fun and all. But I am somebody who moves quickly and wants to see a lot. To that end, I am also considering booking directly through a local tour operator mentioned elsewhere in this forum. How much time is provided at the respective ruin sites, and how much freedom do we have to hike around?

Also if I go to Chacchoben in Costa Maya, will that take care of seeing lots of temples? I am thinking that maybe I would enjoy the boat ride and smaller site at Lamanai if I was satisfied at Chacchoben.

Please, any insight you can offer would be appreciated!

Old Man Grumpus (mbrown02)

Seattle, WA

Hi, I really love ruins and want to make the best choice with the limited time we will have. Which of these two sites is the biggest and most impressive for taking photos? Wikipedia said that Xunantunich has 26 temples and it sounds like Lamanai has only three?

The boat ride sounds fun and all. But I am somebody who moves quickly and wants to see a lot. To that end, I am also considering booking directly through a local tour operator mentioned elsewhere in this forum. How much time is provided at the respective ruin sites, and how much freedom do we have to hike around?

Also if I go to Chacchoben in Costa Maya, will that take care of seeing lots of temples? I am thinking that maybe I would enjoy the boat ride and smaller site at Lamanai if I was satisfied at Chacchoben.

Please, any insight you can offer would be appreciated!

Old Man Grumpus (mbrown02)

Seattle, WA

I've been to both, and both are very different and impressive.

Lamanai is actually a larger site, but you will only get to see a few structures (maybe 3 larger ones). Lamanai is covered in the jungle and you will likely have a chance to see howler monkeys at the ruins and wildlife along the river. In Lamanai you really need to stick in or near the group as time is short and it wouldn't be hard to get lost or loose track of time.

Xunantunich has a larger temple, but is actually a smaller site. When I visited Xunantunich it wasn't as part of a cruise excursion but rather a part of a stand alone trip, but the site is more open so I would guess that they would give you a little more latitude to wonder around by yourself. Maybe someone else could comment on that.

If you hire a private guide for Xunantunich and if you have a little extra time, maybe you could stop at Cahal Pech on the way back as it is on the way. Cahal Pech doesn't have huge impressive structures, but it is hidden away and interesting to wonder though, especially since it doesn't draw big crowds.

Although I like them both, my preference is Lamanai mostly due to the boat ride and wildlife, but Xunantunich is very interesting as well. Check my photos here:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/belize

I've been to both, and both are very different and impressive.

Lamanai is actually a larger site, but you will only get to see a few structures (maybe 3 larger ones). Lamanai is covered in the jungle and you will likely have a chance to see howler monkeys at the ruins and wildlife along the river. In Lamanai you really need to stick in or near the group as time is short and it wouldn't be hard to get lost or loose track of time.

Xunantunich has a larger temple, but is actually a smaller site. When I visited Xunantunich it wasn't as part of a cruise excursion but rather a part of a stand alone trip, but the site is more open so I would guess that they would give you a little more latitude to wonder around by yourself. Maybe someone else could comment on that.

If you hire a private guide for Xunantunich and if you have a little extra time, maybe you could stop at Cahal Pech on the way back as it is on the way. Cahal Pech doesn't have huge impressive structures, but it is hidden away and interesting to wonder though, especially since it doesn't draw big crowds.

Although I like them both, my preference is Lamanai mostly due to the boat ride and wildlife, but Xunantunich is very interesting as well. Check my photos here:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/belize

Lamanai is how for out from the port? Did you book independent or through the ship?

We went to Lamanai last April, and would recommend it highly. I am also a person that likes to stay on the go and see as much as I can. This tour (through Belize Excursions - independent company) kept us hopping. And the icing on the cake was the climb to the top of the temple. Not for the faint of heart and those that do not like heights. Very steep and very high and very incredible view from the top. A MUST do. And because we were running a bit short on time by the end of the tour, a great high speed boat ride back down the river. Kids were having the time of their lives. And yes, we did see and hear those talked about monkeys. Plus a Toucan and a great guide who told us about the plants and structures around us. Nice hike through the rain forest. AND, in April, NO mosquitos. The rainy season had not come yet, so the bugs had not either. Can't beat that!

To answer your question about how far. It was about a 45 min bus ride to the river, and then a 30-40 min ride up the river depending on how many times they stopped to show you animals, etc. We stopped to visit with some Belizian fishermen who showed us their catch and talked a bit. This company we went with were right on top of the time and knew when we needed to keep moving and when we could slow down and see things.

• 1 month later...

What about Xunantunich vs. Lamanai vs. Altun Ha?

Ha, there are so many choices.

But seriously, both Lamanai and Altun Ha have a river ride, while Xunantunich does not (has a 2hr bus ride each way instead). So which is better, Lamanai or Altun Ha?

Thanks!

Archived