Pearl Seas Cruises

razorback64

Very dissappointed with Pearl Seas business practices. We booked a 65th anniversary trip to Halifax for my in-laws in Dec '08 for August '09 sailing. Trip was cancelled in May '09 due to new ship not being complete. Pearl Seas was prompt with deposit refund (no thank you for use of our money for 6 months) and offered a discount for 2010 sailing - I seriously doubt my 87 year old in-laws will be able to travel in another year.

After days of further research and hassle, we booked and completed a cruise to Alaska. Very nice, though a larger ship than we had wanted. We incurred several hundred dollars in air travel change (date, destination, etc.) costs out of pocket, which Peal Seas initially indicated a positive inclination to reimburse. After four months of calling and e-mailing it appears they hope to ignore the issue until we get tired and go away. They cite litigation with the ship builder. We did not contract with the ship builder - we had a contract with Pearl Seas that they did not fulfill. All I want is my $515.00 out of pocket costs reimbursed.

Finally I filed a BBB complaint to which they responded (correctly) that they had made no promise of reimbursement beyond return of cash deposit and reiterated their "generous" offer of discounted passage in 2010.

Unfortunately, it's looking more like cruise travel in 2010 is out of the question for the in-laws. Certainly glad we went to Alaska on the original schedule.

We will NEVER do business with Pearl Seas and advise others to heed our experience. Not illegal, but VERY poor customer practices in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

Pearl Seas is Owned by American Cruise Lines in CT. Perhaps you might get better results by contacting them directly. American Cruise Lines has more to loose in reputation than Pearl Seas which may never start up.

• 4 months later...

I've tried contacting the press representative, Tim Beebe for close to 9 months now leaving messages, e-mails etc... regarding Pearl Seas or American's new ship, the Independence. Haven't heard anything back. I know Independence just launched, but if anyone has any information on Pearl Seas, do share.

Archived