Cozumel - Mopeds

hvyhttr21

Some people pay around $25/ day to rent them, others have paid with their lives. It's not really a good idea at all. Cars / Jeeps cost $50-75 / day and have seats for 4 people and you most likely drive a car every day. I wouldn't even suggest to someone who owns and rides one on a daily basis to rent one in Cozumel. The roads are unfamiliar, and in some areas not in great shape. There are numerous poorly marked speed bumps (topes) and never mind the taxi drivers aggressive habits. I've personally seen one death and numerous serious injuries involving tourists on motos.

Get the maximum available local insurance offered no matter what you rent.

Rich

Would you recommend renting one? About how much does it cost to rent them?

Hi,

I asked the same question in a post a while back, and I got a lot of negative feedback on it. We actually decided to rent a Jeep when we go this weekend instead. People were saying they are very dangerous. That there are a lot of Scooter accidents over there, and some resulting in DEATH! Look through some of the other posts on this thread. If you value life I bet you will change your mind like we did. Which does suck, because we were looking forward to it. Good luck!

We were just there last week and had a moped almost pull out in front of us with a kid on the front:eek:. It looked like a family of tourists-- mom and dad with a kid on each moped--really scary and hard to believe that someone would do it!

The roads are very confusing to me and have limited visibility in town due to being narrow and one way which are not marked clearly. The problem is you can't get out to the open area of the island without going through town at least for a bit. Hire a driver for the day and leave the driving to someone else!

Would you recommend renting one?/QUOTE]

Only if you want to greatly increase your chance of visiting the emergency room at the Cozumel Hospital, or worse.

Sure, plenty of people do rent mopeds for the day and have no problems, but enough people do have "problems" that making renting one for the day too risky, at least for me.

Rent a car instead.

• 3 weeks later...

I would not suggest the moped either. Last year my husband and I witnessed a couple take a terrible fall and we stopped and drove them to the ER. Both were cut up very badly and were in a lot of pain. They were with another couple and they were from a cruise ship. We were not able to go into the ER with them so we don't know when they finally met up with their friends and if they ever made it to the ship on time. It definitely ruined their trip to Cozumel and it really shook us up.

I just got back from Cozumel & am glad I did not rent a motor bike. As we walked by a few rental lots I noticed the poor shape the bikes were in. I chose to take a horse back ride instead and was very happy with my choice.

• 2 months later...

We rented a moped last week in Cozumel and almost wrecked due to people cuttting out in front of us.Even the Cozumel Inside does not recommend it.

image1618.jpgThe danger of using mopeds on Cozumel cannot be overstated.

The moped rental agencies are, for the most part, located in the downtown area or around the cruise ship piers so availability should not be an issue. However, with the increasing number of mopeds, pedestrians, bicycles and cars on Cozumel's narrow streets it is becoming very dangerous to ride mopeds around the island.

In fact, mopeds have become so dangerous that one of Cozumel's long time expats, Sally Hurwitch, regularly posts on the BB's her Top Ten List and Cozumel Insider is pleased to present it here with Sally's permission ~

Sally's Top Ten Reasons to Pass on Renting a Moped in Cozumel

EVERY day people are "scraped up" off the roads of Cozumel as a result of a moped accident. Some only suffer some road rash, which is bad enough to ruin a vacation. Others go home in a box.

image1623.jpg10. Taxi drivers trying to get as many people to as many destinations per hour as possible.

9. Mopeds do not have the power to accelerate out of a potentially dangerous situation.

8. Roads have occasional patches of gravel for no reason.

7. There are other tourists on scooters who don't know how to drive them.

6. Scooters have a short wheel base which makes them difficult to maneuver.

5. There are other tourists in rental cars who have just been to Carlos 'n' Charlie's.

4. Beautiful vistas take your breath away, as well as your attention off the road.

3. Most roads are one way, except when they're not.

2. Moped brakes are not always reliable.

1. Most north-south roads have the right-of-way.....with some exceptions.

Get the picture?

So spend a little extra, surround yourself with metal and rent a car!

Sally Hurwitch

www.barefootincozumel.com

Be very careful of your surroundings if you choose to rent one, and by all means wear a helmet!

IT'S THE LAW!

tipicon.gif

After an afternoon thunderstorm, the lack of drainage in the streets coupled with the oil on the streets creates a very slick road. It’s not advisable to ride a moped during these conditions.

Maimed

Or

Perhaps

Even

Dead

Is what could happen if you rent a moped and get in an accident. Yes, it can be done safely, but why risk it when you can rent a car or even get a taxi for what it would cost for 3 drinks on the ship.

I know this is more of the same, but last time we were in Cozumel we saw a person wipe out on their moped on the main drag. Ouch! We were going the opposite direction in a taxi, so I don't know what happened next.

Archived