Water excursions with important documents (passport, money, etc)

londonbridge247

How does everyone handle doing shore excursions involving water and keeping up with important things like passports, money, etc? My wife and I will be snorkeling in Grand Cayman and spending the day at an all inclusive resort in Jamaica. Is it safe to leave these things in a locker or do I need to take them into the water with me and hope a waterproof bag keeps them dry?

We bought a dive bag to keep out belongings in. Dh wore it like a belt on his swim truncks. That thing is big enought to hold both passports, money, and other things like cell phone, etc. I bought it from dive store on-line a few years back. Works wonders for us.

How does everyone handle doing shore excursions involving water and keeping up with important things like passports, money, etc? My wife and I will be snorkeling in Grand Cayman and spending the day at an all inclusive resort in Jamaica. Is it safe to leave these things in a locker or do I need to take them into the water with me and hope a waterproof bag keeps them dry?

I have a laminated photocopy of my passport, I leave the original on the ship. Put it with a few dollars cash and a credit card in a zip lock bag, which I put in one of those plastic beach accessory boxes (about the size of a deck of cards) you can buy at a dollar store. A good tip is to put a thin layer of silicone grease on the O-ring to keep it moist and help it seal properly.

Never left it on the beach, but when I go diving, I store it with my dive gear on the boat. Never had a problem.

Get a 'beach safe' - which is a waterproof container/wallet which hands around your neck at all times. I keep all important stuff in there (the rest is in my beachbag). Even if my beachbag goes missing at least I have my id, cards, $$ etc and can get back on the ship!

http://www.goplanetgo.com/sc_images/products/392_large_image.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
If we were to rent a beach locker, are our documents safe there? Would you leave you money and passports in a beach locker?

Depends on where the beach lockers were located - and what they looked like? (e.g. are they visible to me? hidden away somewhere? Banged up and rusty? - whose lock am I using?).

Personally would prefer to have $$/cards on my person - I never take my passport off the ship.

Archived