Buying under age child alcohol

lcmc

I will never understand how your country runs with dry counties and that stuff... its like *****... but as I posted above.. life is life.. we must abide by those rules;)

hey there Kruzn, I can give you a hint how it was in Texas.

My first nursing job was in a smaller town in Texas in a dry county, there are "clubs" that you join downtown, you pay 10.00 a year and can go there and drink. Also we did MORE detoxs in the hospital than I ever seen in my life. Oh yeah the dry counties very effective, not.....:p

Because it was a question to the topic on hand:confused: So your 20 year old won't be mature enough......

My 20yo has a self imposed curfew of 11:30pm...why? because she knows herself and she knows that she functions better when home by that time....and she doesn't drink..do drugs or party...all self imposed as she is attending a top university way out of my jurisdiction.

I don't know why I am reading your post this way..but I am reading...that they should be thrown to the wolves and that is the only way they will mature? or that Parental guidance must end by age 20? I really don't know what you are getting at

My mistake, i see now this has been covered.

The APIS website usually makes that distinction if it can only occur in the home. It doesn't do that in its section on Texas. I also looked at the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission web site and it says nothing about a private home distinction. It simply says the parent must be present in the immediate vicinity i.e. within eye view. I don't know why the code wouldn't cite that important facet of the law.

For example in Georgia it states:

Furnishing is prohibited WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTION(S):

• parent/guardian's home AND

• parent/guardian

It doesn't say parent's home under Texas;

From the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission website:

Sec. 106.06. PURCHASE OF ALCOHOL FOR A MINOR; FURNISHING ALCOHOL TO A MINOR

(a) Except as provided in Subsection (b) of this section, a person commits an offense if he purchases an alcoholic beverage for or gives or with criminal negligence makes available an alcoholic beverage to a minor.

(b) A person may purchase an alcoholic beverage for or give an alcoholic beverage to a minor if he is the minor's adult parent, guardian, or spouse, or an adult in whose custody the minor has been committed by a court, and he is visibly present when the minor possesses or consumes the alcoholic beverage.

© An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/laws/alcoholic_beverage_Code_referencing_minors.asp

So you're saying my backyard gene-splicing experiment won't work?

Let me ask dd#1...she is the one studying this stuff at Liberal thinking..push the envelope university....:D

She is studying Behavioral analysis and sociobiology, btw...with loads of ethics and nature vs. nurture classes thrown in for fun....

studies foreign language to stay sane though...:D

Let me ask dd#1...she is the one studying this stuff at Liberal thinking..push the envelope university....:D

She is studying Behavioral analysis and sociobiology, btw...with loads of ethics and nature vs. nurture classes thrown in for fun....

studies foreign language to stay sane though...:D

Tell her not to get too technical, I had to take History of Math to graduate.

I know I went off here but it irks me when people think that all kids are bad or when a parent knows whats going on and guides their kids that they are being overprotective..or..when a perent of a good kid get comments like...they all drink you know.....what I do know is that they don't all drink

We once took a friend of my daughter's on a cruise with us. She had just turned 13. We laid out specific rules of where they were to be and that we would get them from Camp Carnival or a spot where the teens agreed to meet up.

On the last night of the cruise my wife went to go get them and the friend was not there but my daughter was. My daughter told my wife that she told her not to go with the other four teens but she went anyway. After searching all over the ship, my wife found them sitting in the bottom of the stairwell leading to the crew door. (stairwell where you would go down as if in port)

My wife doesnt normally cuss but her words were basically get your arse back to the cabin now. The friend kept saying that if her mom was there, she would have let her go. I guess she figured since this was the last night on the cruise there was not much we could do to her.

After telling her mom what she pulled, the mom also agreed that she would not let her just run around the ship with a couple of young boys. We know that ships are for the most part safe but they are small cities. A friend of ours had her daughter raped onboard a RCCL ship a couple of years ago.

I made a DVD of the photos and some of the movies we shot and gave it to the mother. What I didnt tell her was the last couple of photos showed her daughter sitting in the laps of a couple of the teen boys and a video of her kissing one of them heavily. And this is occurring with the Camp Counsler sitting nearby. (we found this out on the last night also as my daughter had taken the photos/video) So I am sure her friend had a bit of explaining to do with her mom. The friend is no longer a friend of my daughter's.

Lesson learned is you dont take other peoples kids on cruises.

Dave

My 20yo has a self imposed curfew of 11:30pm...why? because she knows herself and she knows that she functions better when home by that time....and she doesn't drink..do drugs or party...all self imposed as she is attending a top university way out of my jurisdiction.

I don't know why I am reading your post this way..but I am reading...that they should be thrown to the wolves and that is the only way they will mature? or that Parental guidance must end by age 20? I really don't know what you are getting at

<shrug>. I moved out at 17 and into a dormitory when I went to college. Drinking age was 18 then, and I had a daquiri every now and then after turning 18. By 19 I was going out 2 or 3 nights a week and drinking more than a few cocktails while staying out until 3 or 4 AM. I still managed to avoid any and all drugs, and I graduated with a 4.0 at my university. Drinking at age 20 is not the end of the world - nor is having late nights of partying every now and then!

I'm 37 and still have several nights a month of overindulging and staying out until 3 or 4 AM - and I manage to keep it together, take care of the house, work part time, and homeschool my children. Children who, by the way, will be allowed to drink in moderation in my home when they are 18...

I would never be able to know this mom well enough by August

and you don't know the Op or her child, right?

So you're saying my backyard gene-splicing experiment won't work?

I was thinking the two of you could plan invitro...

Neither........my point was just because one persons 20 year old is immature and can't function as an adult does not mean most 20 year olds are not capable and mature enough to be adults.......that's all.........

And I would even gamble.....that given the chance most of the immature ones would too if given the chance....and yours sound like she can function just fine........however if she does decide to have that one drink......it will be her choice and not yours:)

And I never said parental guidance should end at any age.....my ds asks for mine and my dh's advice when need be....and he is older out of college and married........I can protect without smothering:)

The op now knows that it would not be a problem if his 20 year old had a drink with him.......I think that's what matters the most on here......

and require a HS diploma...might lower the drop out rate. :cool:

In Georgia, you have to be enrolled in high school and meet attendance standards to receive a license before the age of 18. Additionally, driver's education and supervised driving time is required.

As for the drinking thing...I have allowed my "kids" to have a beverage a time or 10. They are not allowed to get intoxicated and their friends cannot drink at our home. It is legal in Georgia for them to have a beer in my home under my supervision, and I'd rather it be here than out with their friends. I do not think all kids drink, smoke or do drugs. Mine, however, enjoy a cold beer now and then and we just don't make it a big deal.

I have purchased DODs for them onboard a time or 2 and never had a problem. One drink is not going to get them drunk or cause them to be disruptive. Now, as for the "rules", I'd love to see them refuse serving those that are beyond drunk.

A LemurCat/DaDiva invitro baby would be soooo cute!

I think it's even legal that we marry in Vermont. Just gotta let the ManHo know that he will be playing second fiddle now....

1. I live in Jersey. We can have a civil union. My sister can officiate.

2. We might need ManHo. Does he like hockey? If so, he's cool with me.

Archived