Buying under age child alcohol

lcmc

On our last cruise we brought a bottle of wine for dinner the first night. The waiter asked if my brother-in-law, who was 18, wanted a glass, too. We said sure, and the waiter said "Are you 21?" I was suprised, honestly. I guess I figured international waters, with his parents, no big deal...then again, I came of age in Wisconsin where yes, minors can drink in bars with their parents.

Are you trying to turn your son into an alcoholic? :rolleyes:

Sure that's my goal.......like father like son.......seriously. It's just a beer. I'd rather expose him to it than make it taboo. The worst kids are the ones that are always told no. The more you say no the more they wonder why and want to try things when parents are not around.

Sure that's my goal.......like father like son.......seriously. It's just a beer. I'd rather expose him to it than make it taboo. The worst kids are the ones that are always told no. The more you say no the more they wonder why and want to try things when parents are not around.

Ignore the Preachy-Floggy set. You know your kid better than some random internet poster.

Can I buy beer for my 18 years old son on the ship? I know here in Ohio it is legal for parent, guardian or spouce of legal age to by it for them. Please no negative responses about this being wrong. Please keep opinions to yourself.

Just buy a bucket and he can grab his own..........

As long as he doesn't get drunk and act like an idiot.......all is well........

While I believe you may be correct in your thinking.....FWIW, there are some teens and college kids...even those who are over 21 who do not care to imbibe....and in no way should anyone refute this statement...because there are young adults and teens who do not drink, smoke or take drugs.....this I have evidence of........and absolutely no one in their right mind would call me naive (sp)

Of course...there are also some who cause all the problems and are so squeaky that it makes everyone think that all kids do bad stuff and that all parents induldge their kids in these activities.....

And of course there are middle of the road situations.....which would appear to be somewhat the norm......

BTW, I am NOT a teetotaler...but do not have more than one or two drinks per cruise...and maybe DH and I have one bottle of wine per cruise....why? Because it is just way too expensive for us as we are supporting a family of 6 and choose not to spend money on drinks.....

BTW, we don't give our kids drinks or wine or soda cards for that matter either...why? because they don't ask for them. They feel the sode card is a waste of money and would rather get a nice family photo instead.

That's my 2 cents:)

On our last cruise we brought a bottle of wine for dinner the first night. The waiter asked if my brother-in-law, who was 18, wanted a glass, too. We said sure, and the waiter said "Are you 21?" I was suprised, honestly. I guess I figured international waters, with his parents, no big deal...then again, I came of age in Wisconsin where yes, minors can drink in bars with their parents.

Just curious...did the waiter serve him?

BTW, we don't give our kids drinks or wine or soda cards for that matter either...why? because they don't ask for them. They feel the sode card is a waste of money and would rather get a nice family photo instead.

That's my 2 cents:)

You are doing your kids a favor which goes beyond saving money on soda cards. Giving kids unfettered access to soda would be in some ways just as much a bad idea as giving them alcohol. Some people get really snarky about giving a 20 y/o a beer, yet they feed poison to their kids from an early age in the form of frequent fast food meals and soda.

While I believe you may be correct in your thinking.....FWIW, there are some teens and college kids...even those who are over 21 who do not care to imbibe....and in no way should anyone refute this statement...because there are young adults and teens who do not drink, smoke or take drugs.....this I have evidence of........and absolutely no one in their right mind would call me naive (sp)

I personally would never call you naive on this point ... I was straight-edge until I went to college and then promptly proceeded to debauch myself in a rather epic fashion. But yes, there are plenty of kids who choose not to drink or smoke, or take drugs. And the truth of the matter is, by 18, that kid is making that choice regardless of what the parents are saying, doing, thinking, or trying to teach. By that point, it's a conscious choice on the kid's part. More power to 'em.

Yeah - that'll help the cruise line profits - throwing families off the ship. I wonder if that was a threat or they would really do it?

It has happened, and on more cruiselines than just Carnival. Never have I heard of it just for the strict letter of the rule. Always it has involved intoxication and problems of disorderly conduct and/or damages to company property.

The best known case was a High School group of over 100 students with only a dozen chaperones along. The kids smuggled booze aboard and were problematic at sea. It was reported that the chaperones were seen to buy drinks for the kids as well. In Cozumel the group went to Senor Frogs/ Carlos&Charlie's. Returning to the ship, very drunk. The entire group was refused reboarding and left in Cozumel.

A parent buying a drink for their nearly of age offspring would not cause a problem even tho against the rules. The case cited earlier was the waiter allowing the kid to buy a drink in addition to the parent buying a drink. That's an employee violating the company rules.

Can I buy beer for my 18 years old son on the ship? I know here in Ohio it is legal for parent, guardian or spouce of legal age to by it for them. Please no negative responses about this being wrong. Please keep opinions to yourself.

Not on this line. 21 or older for consumption. You may be able to in certain ports.

You are doing your kids a favor which goes beyond saving money on soda cards. Giving kids unfettered access to soda would be in some ways just as much a bad idea as giving them alcohol. Some people get really snarky about giving a 20 y/o a beer, yet they feed poison to their kids from an early age in the form of frequent fast food meals and soda.

We have cut out fast food as well for the most part...we used to go weekly...now maybe once a season....and they do not miss it one bit.

I am also seeing lots of diabetic kids..plenty of really chubby ones too.

However, we are addicted to Spring Water ( the one from MAine) and do not like the taste of tap anymore....I am sure someone will have something to say about spring water...you know...like tap water is just as good if not better..or that I am wasting money. You know standard stuff.

On a cruise btw...it is ice tea..unsweetened or water..not bottled...at dinner and on the Lido..ice tea...with a little lemonade added for taste.

I just wanted answers and you have no idea what you are talking about. It is legal in Ohio to buy a minor alcohol in a bar or restaurant as long as you are the parent, guardian or spouce of legal age..

Legal Drinking Age by US State

September 2, 2009

Author: Chris M. Alexander

In terms of statistics, the US has the highest legal drinking age throughout the world. In US, legal drinking age is set on the basis of the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984. According to this act, it is the responsibility of states to enforce a minimum legal drinking age of 21 years. States that do not follow such patterns may lose more than ten percent of their federal funding for highway apportionment.

Ohio

The legal drinking age in Ohio is 21 years. If you break the law in this regard, you can face a sentence of six months in jail with a fine of $1,000. At Ohio, you cannot give alcohol to anyone that is below the age of 21 years. This is applicable even if you are in your own house and parents have given approval.

Welcome to the USA - where you can vote, give your life for your country, drive a 2 ton deadly weapon on the car at 16 (in europe it's 18), but damn if you can have a beer!

Really shows how much this country supports their troops.:rolleyes: You can die for our safety but don't expect a beer as thanks.

I personally would never call you naive on this point ... I was straight-edge until I went to college and then promptly proceeded to debauch myself in a rather epic fashion. But yes, there are plenty of kids who choose not to drink or smoke, or take drugs. And the truth of the matter is, by 18, that kid is making that choice regardless of what the parents are saying, doing, thinking, or trying to teach. By that point, it's a conscious choice on the kid's part. More power to 'em.

And the choices someone makes at 18 are directly related to how they were raised and by whom for those first 18 years!!! Both positive choices and negative choices.

Let's face face...life usually works out better when one makes better choices...

Legal Drinking Age by US State

September 2, 2009

Author: Chris M. Alexander

In terms of statistics, the US has the highest legal drinking age throughout the world. In US, legal drinking age is set on the basis of the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984. According to this act, it is the responsibility of states to enforce a minimum legal drinking age of 21 years. States that do not follow such patterns may lose more than ten percent of their federal funding for highway apportionment.

Ohio

The legal drinking age in Ohio is 21 years. If you break the law in this regard, you can face a sentence of six months in jail with a fine of $1,000. At Ohio, you cannot give alcohol to anyone that is below the age of 21 years. This is applicable even if you are in your own house and parents have given approval.

You left out all the other points to make your point.

A parent/legal guardian/spouse over 21 in Ohio can give an alcohol drink to their child/spouse 18-20 and give a low-alcohol drink to their child/spouse under 18. That fact has already been shown in the link to the Ohio Dept of Public Safety..

http://www.publicsafety.ohio.gov/waitl_learn_live/drinkagelaw.pdf

Dave

Archived