Buying under age child alcohol

lcmc

Legal Drinking Age by US State

September 2, 2009

Author: Chris M. Alexander

In terms of statistics, the US has the highest legal drinking age throughout the world. In US, legal drinking age is set on the basis of the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984. According to this act, it is the responsibility of states to enforce a minimum legal drinking age of 21 years. States that do not follow such patterns may lose more than ten percent of their federal funding for highway apportionment.

Ohio

The legal drinking age in Ohio is 21 years. If you break the law in this regard, you can face a sentence of six months in jail with a fine of $1,000. At Ohio, you cannot give alcohol to anyone that is below the age of 21 years. This is applicable even if you are in your own house and parents have given approval.

According the APIS site, as of 1/01/09, the following applies to Ohio:

Ohio

as of 1/1/2009

Furnishing of Alcohol to Minors

Furnishing is prohibited WITH THE FOLLOWING EXCEPTION(S):

• parent/guardian

• OR spouse

http://alcoholpolicy.niaaa.nih.gov/stateprofiles/StateProfie.asp

"Old enough" and "mature" are two different things. Most 18-year old "men" I've ever seen are more like 15-year old BOYS.

I've been old enough for half a CENTURY! Mature enough? I'm planning on getting a roundtuit on that. Someday,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:p:D

When I was a kid (I grew up in the US), my dad enjoyed a glass of wine with the home cooked dinner my mom made for us every night.

On a special occasion, my sister and I were allowed to have a small amount too. On New Years, my family and I celebrated together at home. My mom would make a nice spread of eats and my sister and I again were allowed to have a small amount of champagne at midnight.

We did not turn out to be delinquent.

I think that when parents don't treat alcohol as taboo, but rather enjoy it responsibly, they may very well be setting an important example for children.

That's how it was for me.

I was surprised that it's legal in certain states you to give your child drinks that are under age.

I know when we were in our single digits, we could drink Creme de Minthes at parties. :eek:

I got a little concerned at out last stop on Tortola, where my then 7 year old was served a real pina colada.

We have cut out fast food as well for the most part...we used to go weekly...now maybe once a season....and they do not miss it one bit.

I am also seeing lots of diabetic kids..plenty of really chubby ones too.

However, we are addicted to Spring Water ( the one from MAine) and do not like the taste of tap anymore....I am sure someone will have something to say about spring water...you know...like tap water is just as good if not better..or that I am wasting money. You know standard stuff.

On a cruise btw...it is ice tea..unsweetened or water..not bottled...at dinner and on the Lido..ice tea...with a little lemonade added for taste.

LOL, I was chastised once by a total stranger for buying my child a bottled water. I was informed that I was denying her important minerals as well as fluoride. We drink tap at home, but I am "bad" on occasion as well.

One of the reasons that drinking age threads appeal to me is that....there is a law involved..plain and simple....

so..if 18 is legally to young to drink in certain places...that is the law...and it is supposed to be adhered to.

if 21 is the rule on Carnival...that is the rule you agree to when booking and paying for the cruise.....and you are supposed to abide by it

Simply put....diviating from the above is...illegal....and/or against the rules you agreed to....

point made

as I said before...no teetotaller here...but I like to follow the rules and stay within the legal boundries I know are in existance

Not making any comment about fairness...voting age...driving age...military age...just the laws..be they fair or not to some people...they are still the law....hard to argue that fact.

Yeah - especially those ones over in Iraq and Afghanistan.:rolleyes:

They shouldn't be there! That minimum age should be 21. I'm telling you 18-year old "men" don't have the cognitive thinking skills, physical strength, instinct, or intuition than ones just a few years older. Those three years make a difference in maturity.

You left out all the other points to make your point.

A parent/legal guardian/spouse over 21 in Ohio can give an alcohol drink to their child/spouse 18-20 and give a low-alcohol drink to their child/spouse under 18. That fact has already been shown in the link to the Ohio Dept of Public Safety..

http://www.publicsafety.ohio.gov/waitl_learn_live/drinkagelaw.pdf

Dave

People just see what they want to believe even though it is spelled out in black and white.

and require a HS diploma...might lower the drop out rate. :cool:

or raise the use of public trasportaion. :rolleyes:

Happy to report that my 19yo uses only public transportation on and around her campus town....and to and from college to home....and my 15yo is expecting to use public transport when she attends a local college in a few years...I like the cost savings of not buying that extra car

You wouldn't believe how many college students refuse to take the long distance buses home for breaks and make parents do 500 mile round trips in a day.

One of the reasons that drinking age threads appeal to me is that....there is a law involved..plain and simple....

so..if 18 is legally to young to drink in certain places...that is the law...and it is supposed to be adhered to.

if 21 is the rule on Carnival...that is the rule you agree to when booking and paying for the cruise.....and you are supposed to abide by it

Simply put....diviating from the above is...illegal....and/or against the rules you agreed to....

point made

as I said before...no teetotaller here...but I like to follow the rules and stay within the legal boundries I know are in existance

Not making any comment about fairness...voting age...driving age...military age...just the laws..be they fair or not to some people...they are still the law....hard to argue that fact.

Problem is, a lot of the people who get on a high horse about someone breaking the RULE (not law, only a policy) of giving an under 21 a glass of wine have no problem breaking other RULES such as smuggling booze, chair hogging, saving seats in the theater, etc.

Problem is, a lot of the people who get on a high horse about someone breaking the RULE (not law, only a policy) of giving an under 21 a glass of wine have no problem breaking other RULES such as smuggling booze, chair hogging, saving seats in the theater, etc.

Didn't you know that morality is elastic on Cruise Critic?

You wouldn't believe how many college students refuse to take the long distance buses home for breaks and make parents do 500 mile round trips in a day.

Sounds like the tail is wagging the dog in those homes:rolleyes:

How does one "make" a parent do a 500 mile round trip? It seems to me the parent does it voluntarily, else the child would be sitting on campus waiting for naught. ;)

(Or in the words of my old man, "What are you going to do if I don't pick you up? Not come home? That's sort of the point, isn't it?")

True

However, I am far from perfect...and glad of it...but I don't smuggle booze...too heavy to carry....don't chair hog...because we would need 6 of them and that is not fair and there is plenty of room on the higher decks anyway...and don't save theatre seats because we take early seating at dinner and then make sure we get ourselves to the theatre on time...and we are happy to sit tight together to let other have space. None of that bothers us so we have no issues with them..but I just don't understand why so many cruisers make it their mission to break the rules or whatever you may call them......

True

However, I am far from perfect...and glad of it...but I don't smuggle booze...too heavy to carry....don't chair hog...because we would need 6 of them and that is not fair and there is plenty of room on the higher decks anyway...and don't save theatre seats because we take early seating at dinner and then make sure we get ourselves to the theatre on time...and we are happy to sit tight together to let other have space. None of that bothers us so we have no issues with them..but I just don't understand why so many cruisers make it their mission to break the rules or whatever you may call them......

While it may not make you perfect, at least it means you aren't a hypocrite.:)

I don't smuggle either, but it's more out of not wanting to carry heavy bottles of wine in my carryon more than it is of adherence to the rules. Though I do confess that as a child of a military officer, I am pretty much of a rules person. My husband even calls me "Miss Rules.":p But that's only in the sense of following them, not worrying about whether other people do.

I'd just buy them a car........

Even if the long distance well run Coach USA bus picked them up at their dorm and brought them to a bus station 1 mile from your home and all for $65 roundtrip?

And while on campus the well run county bus system transported them anywhere and everywhere for free after 6pm? and ran 24/7?

While it may not make you perfect, at least it means you aren't a hypocrite.:)

I don't smuggle either, but it's more out of not wanting to carry heavy bottles of wine in my carryon more than it is of adherence to the rules. Though I do confess that as a child of a military officer, I am pretty much of a rules person. My husband even calls me "Miss Rules.":p

It is absolutely way too heavy to smuggle booze.

Even if the long distance well run Coach USA bus picked them up at their dorm and brought them to a bus station 1 mile from your home and all for $65 roundtrip?

And while on campus the well run county bus system transported them anywhere and everywhere for free after 6pm? and ran 24/7?

You said 500 mile round trips in a day:confused: Doesn't matter I stopped being taxi driver when ds was 16:D

Archived