Buying under age child alcohol

lcmc

Are you trying to turn your son into an alcoholic? :rolleyes:

where did this come from, is letting him have a drink make him an alcoholic? If that is the case, then taking him on a cruise will also make him an alcoholic and a gambler, not to mention a pervert for wanting to watch all the good looking girls on the ship in their tiny swim wear.

They shouldn't be there! That minimum age should be 21. I'm telling you 18-year old "men" don't have the cognitive thinking skills, physical strength, instinct, or intuition than ones just a few years older. Those three years make a difference in maturity.

I can tell you we had the physical strength (too scared not too). I went in the Marines weighing one pound above the minimum weight at 119lbs. My job was a Field Radio Operator. That means I carried my regular ruck sack (60lbs) along with a PRC-77 radio (13.75 lbs), KY-57 Crypto gear (10 lbs), spare batteries (8 lbs), M-16 rifle (7.8 lbs), Model 1911 pistol (2.5lbs) and all its associated ammunition. When I say radio, I dont mean the little small ones they carry today.

180px-PRC-latrun-exhibition-1.jpg

So basically I was lugging about 100 lbs in gear on my 120 lb body. I got off active duty after three years and weighed 127 lbs. There is a saying Mind over matter, if you dont mind it doesnt matter. Plus the human body is capable of doing many things if you set your mind to it.

Instinct was also drilled into you so that things become a natural reaction. Without it, you were putting your life on the line.

As far as alcohol, if you have never been exposed to it, you dont know how to handle it or how you will react to it.

Dave

They do it. they are very strict about certain things onboard....and the alcohol policy is one of them.

They've removed families for providing alcohol to minor children...they have also removed families when an underage child is deemed intoxicated from alcohol consumed in the cabin.

They don't care about whether or not that family will return...what they care about is the huge liability they carry and the possibility of lawsuits by those affected. They won't miss the troublemakers that are thrown off the ship...and wouldn't want them back anyway.

Many have been banned from their ships due to repeated misbehavior....and other cruise lines have done the same.

A cruise ship is not "Ohio" and it matters not one whit what the age might be to consume alcohol anywhere else; on a ship' date=' it's 21.

If you are going to ignore the rules - that's your decision. Just be prepared to accept the consequences...they are firm and swift.[/quote']

I've never heard of a family sitting by the pool, not causing any problems, discreetly giving a beer to their 19 or 20 y/o adult son or daughter who causes no problems, minds their own business, etc. being thrown off the ship at the next port. The worst I have read on these boards is that they might be "reminded" of the rules by staff. Drunkenness, destructive behavior, etc. is a different story.

Not going to argue right or wrong; I just don't believe the OP will be thrown off the ship if he buys his adult offspring a drink as long as they don't cause any problems and are not being obvious about it.

No surprise coming from a big drinking advocate. And I didn't SAY they were...I was asking...since they said they bought beers for their 18-year old "many times".

How do you know I haven't?? That's why I'm against young people drinking...because I know it's addictive...and I know the problems it causes.

wow I'm a big drinking advocate? lol I rarely drink. I admit to drinking Baileys in my coffee on the balcony in the morning while I'm aboard, and drinking a DOD or two while cruising. Holy Moly Detox here I come.

I am a nurse that works in the psychiatric setting I'm totally aware of what makes an alcoholic.

I wonder if you are aware that most alcoholics blame others for their drinking, such as a parent, spouse, girlfriend, child, anyone will do, as long as they don't have to take personal responsibility.

I am a adult child of an alcoholic and I'm watching several of my nephews struggle with alcoholism.

Don't you DARE say I'm a advocate of drinking. Again you are showing your extreme ignorance.

People that are alcoholics usually have a genetic disposition to alcoholism.

Kids that have a beer or glass of wine occasionally are not going to be "made" into alcoholics.

My son was allowed a shot glass full of wine cooler on Christmas eve while the rest of the family drank their wine with dinner.

We also took communion which in my religion is a shot of wine as well as a wafer.

My son is actually a person that will occasionally drink a beer, holds down a full time job, pays taxes and is raising a less responsible mans child.

I suggest you donkey proof yourself by not coming into a public board and making horrible and accusatory statements to people you know absolutely nothing about.

Does a beer make you an alcoholic? No, but the judge mental type people will continue to judge, my sociology classes said that they do so because they think so little of themselves they need to feel superior to something.

hmmmmmmm good point.

If it was "a" single drink, probably not. The OP indicated he/she has bought the 18-year old beers "many times".

Many times does not mean many at once. Big difference. It's a burger and beer kinda thing. Not a see how many we can pound!

There are several states which have the parental presence exception. Texas is one of them. You can ONLY serve your own child, no one else's.

The restaurants and bars still have the right to refuse service regardless of the exception.

In Texas it can only be done privately, in a home. Not in public or bars or restaurants.

I went on my first cruise when I was 20, and I drank the whole time I was on the ship. One of my parents had to sign for it, but the servers turned a blind eye to who was consuming the drink.

Back in the day......they used to let 18 -20 year olds drink wine or beer with the parents consent......they no long allow this........

I know they were still allowing this on RCCL in 2004....but quit right after that......

I think we can agree that most 18 year old men aren't in Iraq or Afghanistan.

No agreement here, I know ten 18yr old men that are over there right now, all friends of my son, atleast they were 18 when they left for over there, some are 19 now. He started college at 16 so another year and a half he'll be done and plans on going in, but as an officer. So in my sphere, most of the 18yr olds I know, ARE in Iraq or Afghanistan.

Archived