Braemar- 17 February 2011- Caribbean Cocktail

flea b

Just as a word of warning, when we flew from Gatwick to Barbados to join the Braemar in November, we flew with Thomsons as usual and they were very strict with weight limits, even had our hand luggage weighed and we were quite a bit over (naughty) and we had to move things from hand luggage into main cases - never had that happen before, previously they have just asked to look at it! It wasnt just our check in guy being over zealous either, as there were 4 desks open and almost everyone had to make some adjustments to the bags. A couple in front of us had 1 hand luggage between them but were not allowed 10kg in that bag which they did try to argue but to no avail, and the 23kg limit per case was also strictly adhered to, again much reshuffling went on at check in - needless to say this held up the queues quite a lot. Happy packing x

Just as a word of warning, when we flew from Gatwick to Barbados to join the Braemar in November, we flew with Thomsons as usual and they were very strict with weight limits, even had our hand luggage weighed and we were quite a bit over (naughty) and we had to move things from hand luggage into main cases - never had that happen before, previously they have just asked to look at it! It wasnt just our check in guy being over zealous either, as there were 4 desks open and almost everyone had to make some adjustments to the bags. A couple in front of us had 1 hand luggage between them but were not allowed 10kg in that bag which they did try to argue but to no avail, and the 23kg limit per case was also strictly adhered to, again much reshuffling went on at check in - needless to say this held up the queues quite a lot. Happy packing x

Thank you for that Glitterbabe, that will help us out, I know. Last time we flew out there with Thomsons all they did was put a 'heavy' sticker on the case and told me to take it to the cage at the side where all the 'heavy' cases were. They said they did not mind then as overall there were lots of lighter cases!

When you flew to Barbados from Gatwick in November was it in the Thomsons long haul plane with a 2-4-2 seat configuration.

When you flew to Barbados from Gatwick in November was it in the Thomsons long haul plane with a 2-4-2 seat configuration.

We actually flew First Choice, which has a different configuration, there and back. I think it was a 3 - 3 - 3. The First Choice planes are more comfortable I think, than the Thomson planes, I often think that whoever designed the new type long haul planes for Thomson forgot to mention about putting stuffing in the seats, as you certainly end up with a sore bottom after 8 hours!! x

We actually flew First Choice, which has a different configuration, there and back. I think it was a 3 - 3 - 3. The First Choice planes are more comfortable I think, than the Thomson planes, I often think that whoever designed the new type long haul planes for Thomson forgot to mention about putting stuffing in the seats, as you certainly end up with a sore bottom after 8 hours!! x

Having slept on this question - I think 9 seats across is too many, there were certainly 3 in the middle, so must have been 2 - 3 - 2, that makes more sense!

Haha, mine weighed 21kg on the luggage scale but I had to put more bits n bobs in so close to the limit and I am not really taking much, my case is heavy empty!

See you all on board, it's a relief to have broke up from work ... no more customers for about 3 weeks, hooray :-)

Fiona xx

• 3 weeks later...

Home safely, Had a wonderful time :) good old Fred:D:D

Sad creature that I am, I had to get on here tonight:rolleyes: Just off to the club to show off the tan :p

Nice to meet you Steve and Jan, hope you got home safely too:)

Linda and Ray

xx

Hope everyone had a great cruise, we sure had the best weather possible for the entire time

Great also to meet up with a couple of fellow cruisers from the forum - Fi and Andy as well as Linda and her husband.

Hope everyone got home OK and had are getting over the jetlag

Here is to the next time

Steve :)

Not on your cruise but we are going on Braemar 17 March 11 cruising the caribbean around Panama,Rotatan, Belize etc. You will enjoy Braemar shes a very friendly ship with a great crew.

On this cruise too. Flying from LGW. Trying to find tours in Belize atm, fancy the beach but Fred doesn't have this on offer.

On this cruise too. Flying from LGW. Trying to find tours in Belize atm, fancy the beach but Fred doesn't have this on offer.

I have read a few things about Belize and have just had contact from a fellow cruiser loooking for people to do a trip though shark alley, if you are interested I will put them in touch, otherwise I have read that Caye Caulker ( ? spelling) is OK for a beach athough very little on offer there we are still researching Belize if I find anything out I will contact you if tyhats ok,not sure if you can PM on here I'll look into it. only 8 more sleeps to go until we leave for the airport as we are staying at Gatwick see you there:D:D

Archived