Millennium coffee quality

jedling

:rolleyes:We are sailing on Millie in April and Im trying to find out if there are extra charges for items consumed in the Cova cafe. In paticular speciality coffees and pastries/cakes etc. Can anyone help please? Also whats the coffee quality like?

All the food from the Cova is free however you pay for the coffee, they make a great late. The coffee on the rest of the ship is constantly awful, I cannot understand how a cruise line that does so many thing great can make some of the worst coffee I have ever tasted.

All the food from the Cova is free however you pay for the coffee, they make a great late. The coffee on the rest of the ship is constantly awful, I cannot understand how a cruise line that does so many thing great can make some of the worst coffee I have ever tasted.

we were on constallation last year and complained about the coffee and every night they went up to the buffet because we found that coffee at breakfast was better but it was also better if you added cream and not the milk served at night in the dining room

On the M-class ships, the best free coffee is in the buffet at the very back station, near the waffle station. One is labeled strong. Only coffee that isn't from the syrup.

I love good coffee and find the cappuccino at Cove to be less than standard. I always pack an unbreakable french press. Doesn't violate the no coffee makers rule and you can either use a single cup heater coil or order hot water from room service.

I also go to the Cove cafe and request real cream and stash it in the minibar fridge.

That said, there are no bad cruises on Celebrity or any other line.

We love X, but I really liked the coffee card on Princess. As long as you have one punch left you could get unlimited brewed coffee.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.

I agree, what is it with cruise lines and their coffee. I drink about 6 cups a day. Sometimes more on vacation. This will be our first Celebrity cruise. RCCL Explorer has the worst coffee. Except at Seattles Best. There the machine measures and grinds the coffee. It's really good. The coffee everywhere else on the ship is made with twice the grounds that they should use. (I have 35 years in the food service industry.)

What a great idea using the press. Mine is glass. I wonder if I can get it on the ship?

A year or two ago Celebrity started changing the coffee. I'd say it improved significantly from maybe a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10 to about a 3 or 4. That still stinks in my opinion. The quality varies considerably from area to area and time to time. There is no place on the ship to get consistently OK coffee (forget about good). But sometimes it isn't awful. Sorry, but that's about as positive as I can be about it.

Of course the Cova is fine. It isn't the best Espresso based coffee we've had but it is pretty good. Prices are high - generally $4 for a single shot espresso drink (espresso, late, cappuccino, etc.) and $2 more for a double shot with a 15% service charge on top of everything.

As another poster indicated the pastries at the Cova are no charge and many afternoons they have entertainment there like a guitar player or quartet.

I believe that "good coffee" is another one of those very subjective things depending upon your history and experience. What some consider great coffee, I consider weak and undrinkable. For me, Greek, Turkish and Cuban coffees are the best and outside of espresso, I don't think you'll find anything close to these on a cruise ship. Now, that said, I believe that, considering most of a ship's coffee is made in larger quantities, it's fine for what it is.

Thanks for all your info re the coffee quality.

Just one thing am I to understand that you cant purchase a coffeecard/package similar to the system used on Princess.

By the way I can honestly say as an avid good quality coffee drinker,that the coffee we were able to purchase on Princess was of a very good standard.

Thanks for all your info re the coffee quality.

Just one thing am I to understand that you cant purchase a coffeecard/package similar to the system used on Princess.

By the way I can honestly say as an avid good quality coffee drinker,that the coffee we were able to purchase on Princess was of a very good standard.

No card or discount program. All the espresso based coffee drinks are pay as you go for each cup. Of course if you are in a suite you can get espress type coffee drinks from your butler free of charge, but not on your own at the coffee bar.

Also, when we were on Princess many years ago they had good brewed coffee (also called drip or filter coffee) at the coffee bar. On Celebrity the coffee bar only has espresso type coffees.

Archived