Touring the cemetaries

NKG6002

I have read that seeing the cemetaries on your own is not safe. Has anyone done this or heard about this and have a comment ? Also...if taking a pay tour how often and late are they run ? Thanks in advance :)

I wouldn't recommend visiting on your own. I am from the New Orleans area and locals may go to some on their own during the day, to visit a relatives grave, at certain cememtaries, but if you are not from here, it is best not to take a chance since you do not know the area. Also, by going on your own you will not get the history behind them or the amazing stories that go along with the visit. To me, that is the most important part of the visit to a New Orleans cemetary. There are so great tours. Just google.

The best way to try and explain how a local says it is - " Na war lynns". This is not phonetic but actually the sounds I hear when we pronouce it. Like the word "war" and the name Lynn with an "s". It is not "N'awlins", like I have seen on t-shirts.

The city is going crazy with our win!! The schools close early tomorrow so that everyone can get to the Victory Parade!

Hi NKG6002,

If you will be in New Orleans for a short time your best bet is to see St. Louis #1 Cemetary. If you go in the morning, when it's daylight, you should be OK.

However, I do recommend a guided tour because by doing it on your own you will probably miss a lot. For example, in St. Louis #1 are the tombs of Marie Laveau (Voodoo Queen), Gov. Claiborne (the first American Governor and ancestor of Liz - yep that Liz Claiborne), and Homer Plessy of Plessy vs. Ferguson.

You may want to look at this:

http://www.tour-new-orleans.com/french_quarter_cemetery.htm

Most tour guides are extremely knowledgeable and the price (about $15) is well worth it.

Enjoy your trip to one of America's treasure cities. :D

Jorge

Archived