What time to expect debarkation in Mobile?

hilltopfamily

I'm wondering about giving flight booking advice to my DD's friend. She's in New York state (20 year old gal with flying experience) and we'd be driving in from the Midwest, meeting up with her in Mobile for the cruise. I was hoping to hear from those who have debarked the Fantasy in Mobile. What time did you get off? Especially if you did not do the self-assist debarkation, as I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be doing this.

We ususally drive to the port for all our cruises. The ONE and only time we flew, I made sure and booked us on late afternoon flights, and we ended up getting "kicked" off the ship pretty early in the AM (we were quite literally the last ones off!) and we had to wait like 5 hours at the airport! Yuck! So, if I can get an idea of when most people have gotten off the ship, that would be very helpful. Thanks so much!

I was actually wondering the same thing, as I plan on flying home after the cruise and am worried about a flight time. I noticed that you are from Nebraska, I am from Northwest Missouri. How long does it take you to drive to the port of Mobile? MapQuest put it at around 13 hours. I would consider driving if its not that bad of a drive.

Mapquest has it at about 17 hours (1035 miles) for us. We travel with the kids, so we tend to do more stops than others so it takes us a bit longer, plus we don't love driving all through the night. Similar length trips for us are usually split into a couple of days driving with an overnight hotel stop with an indoor pool so the kids can get some movement and activity after a long day in the van.

Our closest and favorite port to drive to is Galveston (we have done it 4 times!), but we've driven to the port of New Orleans and Port Canaveral, too. If we go, this will be our first time to Mobile, but it doesn't look much worse than going to New Orleans was. Driving to Florida twice......now that's the killer!!! :eek: Not in a hurry to do that one again!

Got off the Fantasy a week ago. We did do self-assist - it seemed like most people did this also. We were off the ship and in our car by 8:00 am. However weather can play havoc this time of year and fog has delayed getting back into port on a number of occasions. Leave plenty of wiggle room or get insurance.

Got off the Fantasy a week ago. We did do self-assist - it seemed like most people did this also. We were off the ship and in our car by 8:00 am. However weather can play havoc this time of year and fog has delayed getting back into port on a number of occasions. Leave plenty of wiggle room or get insurance.

I am not cruising until August. Would fog be an issue then?

I am not cruising until August. Would fog be an issue then?

It's possible, but not as likely as in late fall and early spring. The fog is the result of the cold water and warm air. If the temps are in the 50's during the day, it not a big issue, but if we have days that are in the 70's, it's a fog maker.

70's sound great this time of year, but here in Mobile it is usually uncomfortable because it seems like we have 99% humidity to go with it and you'll break out in a cold sweat. Miserable.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm wondering about giving flight booking advice to my DD's friend. She's in New York state (20 year old gal with flying experience) and we'd be driving in from the Midwest, meeting up with her in Mobile for the cruise. I was hoping to hear from those who have debarked the Fantasy in Mobile. What time did you get off? Especially if you did not do the self-assist debarkation, as I'm pretty sure we wouldn't be doing this.

We ususally drive to the port for all our cruises. The ONE and only time we flew, I made sure and booked us on late afternoon flights, and we ended up getting "kicked" off the ship pretty early in the AM (we were quite literally the last ones off!) and we had to wait like 5 hours at the airport! Yuck! So, if I can get an idea of when most people have gotten off the ship, that would be very helpful. Thanks so much!

We debarked the Fantasy on 2/18/10. We did not do self assist and had a nice leisurely breakfast on board.We got in line to leave the ship around 9:00 AM and made it to our car in the garage at 12:15 PM ! Yes. we literally stood in line for three hours and fifteen minutes! I have cruised out of eight different ports and Mobile is the most screwed up operation I have ever experienced and it is a new terminal.Some folks behind us had 12:30 flights and obviously were going to miss the flight.I don't ever plan to cruise out of Mobile again.

• 2 weeks later...
We debarked the Fantasy on 2/18/10. We did not do self assist and had a nice leisurely breakfast on board.We got in line to leave the ship around 9:00 AM and made it to our car in the garage at 12:15 PM ! Yes. we literally stood in line for three hours and fifteen minutes! I have cruised out of eight different ports and Mobile is the most screwed up operation I have ever experienced and it is a new terminal.Some folks behind us had 12:30 flights and obviously were going to miss the flight.I don't ever plan to cruise out of Mobile again.

Wow! That sounds terrible! I waited in a loooong line last summer out of New Orleans, but your's sounds even worse than that! YUCK! I'll have to post back here if our debarkation is as bad as yours was. :)

What caused you to be in a line for three hours. I have cruised out of Mobile a couple of times and have NEVER experienced any thing such as that. I also have never heard of this happening to anyone else either.

What caused you to be in a line for three hours. I have cruised out of Mobile a couple of times and have NEVER experienced any thing such as that. I also have never heard of this happening to anyone else either.

I wish I knew. I have never expereinced anything like Mobile. 15 minutes getting off ship--not bad. Probably over 1 hour getting down the ramp and in to the terminal building. Held up at escalator for at least 30 minutes before we were allowed to go down to luggage claim.Of course 1 piece of luggage misplaced (expensive dive gear) and had to find it.At least another hour and one half waiting in long, winding lines to get to one of the 6 custom ofifcials.No porters seemed to be available --had to push 3 bags around.It seemed if there was a way to create lines, the designers of the port of Mobile found it.They must have used some crack head rehabs to design it. I certainly do not plan to ever expereince it again--once was enough!I will cruise out of Charleston,SC and the Florida ports in the future.

Wow that had to be frustrating but I think you ran into an isolated incident. We've sailed out of Mobile in the past and I would have to say it's probably been the easiest port for us as far as embarkation/debarkation.

Don't let one bad experience spoil your opinion!

Archived