Insurance question

Annie3131

I found that the pre-existing clause is sometimes waived if you do it soon after your initial deposit. We did it about 20 days after and with the company we booked with they waived everything so we didn't have to worry if they would approve something or not if one of us would get sick or need to cancel our trip.

Gary and Laura,

thanks. We just found out that my husband has to have surgery. He should recover in plenty of time to still cruise, but we are obviously realizing that stuff does come up.

annie

I researched for days and after I talked to several insurance companies there seemed to be some gray area so we just decided to take the chance and booked with Travelex - they had the best coverage for the price and they are primary in case anything would go wrong that we would need medical attention. It took out the worry and the most we can loose is what it cost us for the insurance. We booked our hotel before and after the cruise with hotwire and we covered both nights too beings they were non refundable.

Gary and Laura,

thanks. We just found out that my husband has to have surgery. He should recover in plenty of time to still cruise, but we are obviously realizing that stuff does come up.

annie

Make sure you find a policy that includes pre-existing conditions. Most companies require that you purchase the insurance within a certain time after deposit to include anything pre-existing. So if your husband were to not be able to cruise due to the surgery, he would be considered pre-existing if you buy the insurance now.

Hope the surgery is minor and that you have a wonderful cruise!

Hi Annie,

You can purchase insurance at anytime but I purchase it after I have made final payment. some will tell you to purchase it right after you book. It really is your choice.

If you have any pre-existing health conditions (or if someone in your immediate family does, and it might affect your ability to go on your cruse, no, you DON'T have a choice. You have to buy pre-existing health coverage within 2 weeks to 21 days (depending on the company) of when you BOOK your cruise, and it is not available after that.

If you have any pre-existing health conditions (or if someone in your immediate family does, and it might affect your ability to go on your cruse, no, you DON'T have a choice. You have to buy pre-existing health coverage within 2 weeks to 21 days (depending on the company) of when you BOOK your cruise, and it is not available after that.

To lives_to_cruise's credit, they were not aware of the OPs situation of preexisting conditions when they posted.

The agency our TA uses, I think it's Berkley not sure, now makes you pay the premium at booking if you have a pre-existing condition and that goes for the cabin, not just the person who has pre-existing. Since we have had a claim with this company and all went well, it really wasn't a bother to pay for this with our initial booking

Annie,

Most posters will tell you to ALWAYS take travel insurance. Just read the threads about folks who had their flights canceled because of the snowstorm in Baltimore and they won't be making their cruise.

When we first purchased insurance, we thought medical first and our TA never really explained all the other pluses like weather, flight cancels, etc.

Just a heads up. There was a couple posting last year how they had to fly home for a death in the family before they boarded an Alaska cruise and they lost big bucks because they had no travel insurance.

Hello all,

I am wondering the policy for purchasing insurance? Can you buy it after the final payment has been made?

Thanks,

Annie

Most 3rd Party Policies it's better to purchase 14-21 days of booking so as to get Waiver of Pre-existing conditions (and other extended benefits). Otherwise, you can purchase Carnival Berkely up to 14 days before departure, and most other policies pretty much up to day or so before departure. ken

Annie,

Most posters will tell you to ALWAYS take travel insurance. Just read the threads about folks who had their flights canceled because of the snowstorm in Baltimore and they won't be making their cruise.

When we first purchased insurance, we thought medical first and our TA never really explained all the other pluses like weather, flight cancels, etc.

Just a heads up. There was a couple posting last year how they had to fly home for a death in the family before they boarded an Alaska cruise and they lost big bucks because they had no travel insurance.

It's a fairly frequent tale around here. The "Please help I have to cancel and I don't have insurance because I never thought I'd need it" posts pop up at least a few times a month if not more often.

Travel insurance covers so much more than cancellation. Most plans provide medical coverage onboard (many regular insurance plans don't cover you out of country) as well as trip delay, lost/stolen items, lost bags, cancelled flights, etc. And anyone of any age can need medical assistance. Appendix, broken bone, accident in port, etc. It also usually covers if any immediate family NOT traveling becomes seriously ill or passes away and you need to cancel.

We had a close call a few years ago when our flight booked for the night before our cruise was seriously delayed. We couldn't make our connection and everything else was booked. We spent a really harrowing few hours at the airport trying to find SOMETHING to get us to Florida in time for the ship to sail at 4pm the next day. Everything worked out in the end when the airline finally found us 6am flights the next morning and we made it but i was incredibly thankful for travel insurance and passports while sitting in the airport thinking we would have to book flights to Cozumel to meet the ship three days later. As it was, the insurance refunded us the pre-cruise hotel we were charged for but never made it to.

This may be a silly question, but I'm cruising for the first time and would like to purchase travel insurance. Trying to do all of my homework re: timing of booking/purchasing insurance.

I keep hearing "pre-existing" conditions....does the insurance company require an exam like life insurance does? :) How do they know if something is pre-existing or not?

This may be a silly question, but I'm cruising for the first time and would like to purchase travel insurance. Trying to do all of my homework re: timing of booking/purchasing insurance.

I keep hearing "pre-existing" conditions....does the insurance company require an exam like life insurance does? No! :) How do they know if something is pre-existing or not? When/If you were to file a claim, then they would investigate the medical history looking for a pre-existing condition. If you purchase Policy that has Waiver of Pre-Existing condition, there's no reason for the Insurance Company to spend the extra time to do this search.

ken

Archived