Chefs' Parade.

garigoun

Near the end of each cruise/crossing (Oh Damn, be it known to all here present that all journeys on ships shall heretofore be referred to, by me, as 'trips' I'm fed up with this cruise/crossing malarky).

To resume, near the end of each trip there is a parade of the chefs. Am I alone in feeling a slight tinge of embarrassment when this happens. I do wonder how the participants actually feel about it. Now before approbrium is heaped like coals of fire upon my thinning grey-haired head let me pre-empt the incoming by stating that I am absolutely not implying that those who labour unseen for our gastrnomic pleasure are undeserving of our applause nor are you to infer that I in anyway begrudge them their moment in the light, and it would be downright churlish not to join in. It's just that I think that having to put on a clean pinny and toque and stand along the stairs grinning into the blizzard of flash bulbs every 6/7 days would get old very very quickly. And judging from the alarcrity with which they leave they are probably thinking 'Lets get out of here, the work is piling up below and we want to get finished and have a smoke and a pint).

Of course I could stay out of the dining room on that night but I like eating in the restaurant and it's only a little pecadillo of mine.

Does this custom, I wonder, take place on other lines?

Am I just an old curmudgeon? (Rhetorical, rhetorical).

Gari

Near the end of each cruise/crossing (Oh Damn, be it known to all here present that all journeys on ships shall heretofore be referred to, by me, as 'trips' I'm fed up with this cruise/crossing malarky).

To resume, near the end of each trip there is a parade of the chefs. Am I alone in feeling a slight tinge of embarrassment when this happens.

No

I do wonder how the participants actually feel about it. Now before approbrium is heaped like coals of fire upon my thinning grey-haired head let me pre-empt the incoming by stating that I am absolutely not implying that those who labour unseen for our gastrnomic pleasure are undeserving of our applause nor are you to infer that I in anyway begrudge them their moment in the light, and it would be downright churlish not to join in. It's just that I think that having to put on a clean pinny and toque and stand along the stairs grinning into the blizzard of flash bulbs every 6/7 days would get old very very quickly. And judging from the alarcrity with which they leave they are probably thinking 'Lets get out of here, the work is piling up below and we want to get finished and have a smoke and a pint).

Agreed

Of course I could stay out of the dining room on that night but I like eating in the restaurant and it's only a little pecadillo of mine.

No idea - but imagine worse is to be found elsewhere

Aren't we all?

To resume, near the end of each trip there is a parade of the chefs. Am I alone in feeling a slight tinge of embarrassment when this happens. I do wonder how the participants actually feel about it. Now before approbrium is heaped like coals of fire upon my thinning grey-haired head let me pre-empt the incoming by stating that I am absolutely not implying that those who labour unseen for our gastrnomic pleasure are undeserving of our applause nor are you to infer that I in anyway begrudge them their moment in the light, and it would be downright churlish not to join in. It's just that I think that having to put on a clean pinny and toque and stand along the stairs grinning into the blizzard of flash bulbs every 6/7 days would get old very very quickly. And judging from the alarcrity with which they leave they are probably thinking 'Lets get out of here, the work is piling up below and we want to get finished and have a smoke and a pint).

Gari

Oh yes, Gari, but this time on the RCI you will be delighted that all the dining room staff is included with the chefs and they all, every one of them, march very merrily round and round and round the dining room. Enjoy! :cool:

Oh yes, Gari, but this time on the RCI you will be delighted that all the dining room staff is included with the chefs and they all, every one of them, march very merrily round and round and round the dining room. Enjoy! :cool:

He's gonna lurrrrv that!

:eek:

J

Gari

Yes. Definitely. I think...

Ummmm... what was the question again?

J

Whilst I hesitate to agree with anyone I find myself leaning, but that is another story best left for my wife with her pipe and slippers. I think that the parade had more relevence when they were parading the Bombe Alasque, which of course now has been banned by those two mental midgets Elf and Safety. I also get embarassed a bit, by the waiters giving me the menus from the previous evenings. First time I thought "How nice", and then the glister wears off. It is a necessary evil perhaps, like white tuxedo jackets, they do get so upset when you say "bring me a gin and tonic please, there's a good chap". I am laughing now just thinking about it. in Fiddler on the Roof, Topol sang about Tradition and perhaps sadly we are stuck with it.

Whilst I hesitate to agree with anyone I find myself leaning, but that is another story best left for my wife with her pipe and slippers. I think that the parade had more relevence when they were parading the Bombe Alasque, which of course now has been banned by those two mental midgets Elf and Safety. I also get embarassed a bit, by the waiters giving me the menus from the previous evenings. First time I thought "How nice", and then the glister wears off. It is a necessary evil perhaps, like white tuxedo jackets, they do get so upset when you say "bring me a gin and tonic please, there's a good chap". I am laughing now just thinking about it. in Fiddler on the Roof, Topol sang about Tradition and perhaps sadly we are stuck with it.

OH yes, I'd forgotten about the menus. I've never quite understood why anyone would actually want them, but then I don't understand a lot of things about cruisin', the appeal of the ID card for example but some people just love these things. But the menus, the first time we got them they came in a spiffy glossy cover and were a decent example of a good restaurant menu worth collecting I suppose for those of a collecting bent. Now they are a collection of photocopied A4's and look what they are, scruffy. I have tried, just once, to say 'No Thankyou' but the waiter looked so hurt I've never done it since. The irritating thing is that one has to make a trip to one's cabin to dump the damn stuf in the rosy or hoik them around all night like some demented Pentecostal Pamphleteer. And consider, on a 10 day trip on QM2 there will be, as each menu consists of two pages,(I think) 20 sheets of A4. Suppose the ship is full and supposing that for every two people there will be one set of menus. This gives an approximate figure of say 1400 menus = 1400 x 20 = 28000 sheets of A4. Factor in the cost both financial and to the environment of the toner cartridges, power, manhours, etc. Repeat this for the number of voyages per year -- well you do the math, and all for something which in, I would suspect 99% of cases, ends up in landfill. I don't know if all cruise ships do this daft thing but if they do, well dear lord what a criminal waste.

If I've made a mistake and there only 10 pages per menu then just halve it but even so ........

I would be perfectly happy if they did away with both of these 'Traditions' With the money saved they could serve a free Martini on boarding. Now that's what I call a tradition worth starting.

Gari

OH yes, I'd forgotten about the menus. I've never quite understood why anyone would actually want them

I really appreciate the copies of the menus. I bring them to work when I get back and read them to my colleagues. They really love me at my work.

J

I really appreciate the copies of the menus. I bring them to work when I get back and read them to my colleagues. They really love me at my work.

J

I like the ones that come with recipes. But for some reason, I always end up with enough to feed a--uh--a--uh cruise ship.:eek:

OH yes, I'd forgotten about the menus. I've never quite understood why anyone would actually want them, but then I don't understand a lot of things about cruisin', the appeal of the ID card for example but some people just love these things.

I very much liked having the menus. In fact I asked the waiter before the last day if he could provide them. I have kept them with the rest of the paperwork relating to my last trip.

If people do not want their menus then could I suggest that they tell the waiter at the beginning of the trip so that no offence is caused on the last evening by refusing them.

I very much liked having the menus. In fact I asked the waiter before the last day if he could provide them. I have kept them with the rest of the paperwork relating to my last trip.

If people do not want their menus then could I suggest that they tell the waiter at the beginning of the trip so that no offence is caused on the last evening by refusing them.

Oh no never refuse anything for nothing. Would you like my old recipes? I throw nothing away. I even think I have a recipe for the infamous Tunnock's Snowball--serves 2403, plus an extra just in case.

Back to question, in the "good old days" when one travelled by original liners to get from A to B , ( when " posh" meant port out starboard home ) there was no parade of kitchen staff or waiters.

I never collect menus, and cringe with embarrassment on the last night with the parades, and the staff hinting they want you to give them "stars" as well as the "no choce who receives" tips.

Archived